Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't know much about Eberflus. Over the past few years, I have kept my eye on the Colt's scores because a friend of mine is a Colt's fan and it is fun to talk about football. I rooted for them to win and you know who to lose. It seems to me during those few recent years back, the Colts have been pretty competitive. Why not give the new HC the benefit of the doubt until we know? Could it be that Bill Polian, McCaskey's committee, and Ryan Poles know a little bit more about football than we do? I really like Ryan Poles so far. Let's face it, we are better off than we were with Nagy and Pace.
One thing is for certain about the Colts the last few years, they used the hell out of their running backs.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
A good OC being hired means the offense is good. If the offense is good, that means Fields is good. If Fields is good, it gets to a point where the OC doesn't really matter. And most of all, a good OC usually has good people around him. Herbert lost his OC (and offensive coach) and didn't struggle in year 2. Allen is probably going to lose his OC and replace him with a good QB coach, and won't skip a beat. I'd be a little leery if the OC gets hired after 1 year, unless Fields plays at an MVP level. But the key is developing Fields. If it only takes 1 year, then his OC is gone again....so be it.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Is it that I have some learning to do, or is it that you jumped into the conversation midway and haven't read what I have been arguing in this entire thread?
No, I read what you were saying.

You were arguing with people who immediately were all doom and gloom, using logic ... in CCS? Radical.

People were worried about what kind of offensive system and support system for Fields there was going to be, which I think is something that should be a concern.

You then basically said that he did not only learn defense but also offense and how to defend against it. You said that he was the passing game coordinator which shows that he needs to know what the offense wants to do to coordinate what the defense wants to do. Again with that damn logic.

I just said that he was the defensive passing game coordinator, which turned out to be a fact.

In my mind, offensive passing game coordinator is more complex in offensive strategy than a defensive passing game coordinator is. I just wanted other people (not you) to understand that the passing game coordinator is a defensive position, not an offensive position. I wanted others to not think incorrectly.

I am in a wait and see and hope situation. I have nothing positive or negative to add to the Eberflus argument.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So are you under the impression that there was nothing that could be taken, good or bad, from Mangini or Garrett?
Do you believe having good mentors matters? Most successful people in life can list some quality mentors who helped along the way. If we’re listing Mangini and Garrett we have a problem.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don’t like it, but I’d be happy to be proven wrong. After the marathon of interviews, this was the best option??? I suppose we’ll see.

A lot depends on the OC now….

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
No, I read what you were saying.

You were arguing with people who immediately were all doom and gloom, using logic ... in CCS? Radical.

People were worried about what kind of offensive system and support system for Fields there was going to be, which I think is something that should be a concern.

You then basically said that he did not only learn defense but also offense and how to defend against it. You said that he was the passing game coordinator which shows that he needs to know what the offense wants to do to coordinate what the defense wants to do. Again with that damn logic.

I just said that he was the defensive passing game coordinator, which turned out to be a fact.

In my mind, offensive passing game coordinator is more complex in offensive strategy than a defensive passing game coordinator is. I just wanted other people (not you) to understand that the passing game coordinator is a defensive position, not an offensive position. I wanted others to not think incorrectly.

I am in a wait and see and hope situation. I have nothing positive or negative to add to the Eberflus argument.
Then allow me to apologize for jumping all over you.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fantasy football leagues.....
Do you know what a fantasy football league awards points for on defense?

Points against (the lower the better), sacks, interceptions, and fumble recoveries. Those are real things. It's just one set of statistics.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Eberflus took over Pagano's 3-4 unit in Indy which was a bottom 5 unit the season before. With virtually the same players as his predecessor Eberflus got a top 10 performance from a bunch of guys that didnt fit his 4-3 scheme in his first season as DC.

The guy can coach. Who he hires to run the offense is more important than him being a 4-3 guy.
The colts also had the lowest allocation of cap to defensive unit during his time. This is what you want. Get average to good d, while spending your money on offense.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Do you believe having good mentors matters? Most successful people in life can list some quality mentors who helped along the way. If we’re listing Mangini and Garrett we have a problem.
Why do his only mentors have to be people he worked for and a HC?

Most successful people have Mentors at varying levels, in different industries, with different connections.

Listen - I can't say one way or the other if Eberflus will be successful but you're digging your heels in on a very stupid issue

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not hating it. Let's see who the OC and DC are before ripping our dicks off.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
@Gustavus Adolphus are you happy with the hire?
I am cautiously optimistic.

I don't know enough about him to feel comfortable enough past the idea that someone brand new offers a lot of hope. What I am not going to do is make assumptions about the guy based what I've already wanted to think.

I also don't think everything has to be black and white, and I see that happening a ton in this thread.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Dumb comment. Bears should eliminate the QB position using that thought process.
What's dumb is thinking simply checking boxes on some biased scheme questionnaire is all that matters. I have no idea what the new Bears offense will look like (and neither do you).

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tampa Two, here we come again. Roquan might be better in the Lance Briggs tackling machine role than Lance was. With Tillman, Urlacher, Briggs, Mike Brown and prime Tommy Harris, that defense was a beautiful thing. That being said, the NFL is a passing league, the best offenses will always beat the best defenses because of the rules.

It’s easy to picture an OC who is successful with JF getting plucked. Hopefully the OC IS good, who knows if we ever get to that point.

Glad to hear Poles made HIS choice, but who knows if he was restricted to one of the three “finalists?” Im disappointed they didn’t go with an offensive-background HC, but am glad it’s not Caldwell. Didn’t want Quinn either for that matter.

It’s the Bears…hope for the best.