Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ryan Poles and Matt Eberflus, two names I hadn't heard before the Bears hired them.

Much like Ryan Pace and later Matt Nagy.

Bears have been the same Bears, losing-mediocrity, for like 50 years now.

Every new GM/coach/QB I think "Maybe this time?" and I am always disappointed.

I hope these gents win us a Super Bowl, but my prediction is 2-3 years of failure, then George will yet again fire everyone and go hire another GM and another HC and we'll do it all over again.

I do not believe this team can build a winning culture when the Owners are losers who don't mind losing as long as the money keeps coming in, because they sabotage the GM/HC they bring in to win football games.

Crossing my fingers, but I am not optimistic and it has nothing to do with Ryan Poles nor Matt Eberflus, I question that anyone can be successful when the Owners are so apathetic to being losers.

Dstone5553

Liked Posts:
He puts off big time Lovie Smith vibes to me, which worked out fine for everything but the offense last time around.

Maybe this Lovie learns from the previous Lovie's mistakes???

You mean like firing the reason your team is good?

Why did u have to put Lovie in my head?

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
Oh for fucks sake.

you learn from who you work with. Where’s the great coaches for him to learn from?

if this is the case then why didnt Nagy work? He worked under Reid. Probably considered the best offensive coach in the league. Has been for years. Why wasn’t Nagy a success? He had a great mentor.

What you’re arguing is complete nonsense. Why don’t teams just hire coordinators who come from great coaches? Why do pretty much all of Belichick assistants fail? They’re working under the greatest coach/mentor ever.

I have no clue if Eberflus will work out. I just know what you’re arguing is ridiculously stupid.

Last edited:

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL, Bears gonna Bears.

bearsb_logo.gif
Bears hire HC Matt Eberflus: F Grade
When Matt Eberflus was presiding over a defense that had no answer for Trevor Lawrence in the must-win season finale, the thought, "Wow, this guy will make a great head coach" never popped into my head. The Colts generated a conference-best 33 turnovers in 2021, but they feasted on lots of bad competition. They always came up short in big games, and they struggled to put pressure on the quarterback despite spending a first-round pick on a defensive end.

Eberflus didn't seem like the best candidate at all, or even a viable candidate. He also coaches the wrong side of the ball. Chicago needed to hire an offensive mastermind to help develop Justin Fields. Eberflus could always get a brilliant offensive coordinator, but if Fields makes great strides, that offensive coordinator will be snatched up by another team very quickly to be their head coach, and Fields will have to learn from someone else in a short time frame. That's why the Bears needed to hire an offensive head coach.

Josh Allen developed with a defensive head coach.

Walter Football is a joke btw

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
How involved was Lovie on the offense?

If I recall, Lovie always said "we get off the bus running" and then he would be ignored by the OC who mostly passed.

I hope Eberflus takes more ownership of the whole team than Lovie did.
As do I.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
if this is the case then why didnt Nagy work? He worked under Reid. Probably considered the best offensive coach in the league. Has been for years. Why wasn’t Nagy a success? He had a great mentor.

What you’re arguing is complete nonsense. Why don’t teams just hire coordinators who come from great coaches? Why do pretty much all of Belichick assistants fail? They’re working under the greatest coach/mentor ever.

I have no clue I’d Eberflus will work out. I just know what you’re arguing is ridiculously stupid.
Yawn.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Do you believe having good mentors matters? Most successful people in life can list some quality mentors who helped along the way. If we’re listing Mangini and Garrett we have a problem.
The only head coach he has ever directly reported to in the NFL is Frank Reich. He reported to DC or position coaches otherwise. It has been well reported he has been mentored by Marinelli in Dallas. No need to talk about how many people Marinelli has positivity influenced.

Otherwise, taking the position he would be mentored directly by the head coach is an odd one. He would've spent little time in offensive meetings in those stops. His mentors would've come from elsewhere and more often than not your mentors aren't who you directly report to in your current job. Particularly in roles with high turnover.