Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:

is this your new tactic? save yourself from being embarrassed by saying nothing?

I understand it. I get it. It’s okay. You’re naive and sold yourself on this idea that the only chance the Bears have is to hire an offensive coach. And now that that didn’t happen you’ve chosen to run with some ridiculously stupid “who were his mentors?” argument as a way to knock the hire. Step away from the keyboard and compose yourself. Everything will be okay. It’s about the man. Not what side of the ball he comes from.

Eberflus might suck. But it won’t be because he coaches defense and not offense.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
All coaches, commentators and fans get stuff wrong. More often than not. Pointing to one example and acting like it means something is dumb.

not defending that site either.

exactly my point

which is why you can say that his coach grade is bullshit. unless of course it fits your narrative

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
I’d also like to see out of the 32 HC jobs how many have defensive guys as head coaches and how many have offensive guys? I’d be willing to bet with the trends there are more offensive guy with head coaching gigs as opposed to defensive guys.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
They interviewed 20 guys, and the right guy just happened to be one of the three guys ownership set up Ryan Poles to interview on Day 1?

Smells like bullshit to me.

Like, *this* is the best choice to guide your biggest asset? For those pining for Kafka for OC, Kafka is a complete unknown.

Think about it like this:

If Eberfluss hires Kafka as his OC, that means they trust the Chiefs QB coach to mold Fields and call plays more than they trust the Chiefs OC. There’s something wrong with that line of thinking, if that’s how it goes.

A lot is going to ride on whoever the OC is. I’ll reserve ultimate judgment until we truly know how this will go. My snap reaction, though, is that I don’t like it.

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I’d also like to see out of the 32 HC jobs how many have defensive guys as head coaches and how many have offensive guys? I’d be willing to bet with the trends there are more offensive guy with head coaching gigs as opposed to defensive guys.
That was definitely the case over the last couple of years to mixed results.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They interviewed 20 guys, and the right guy just happened to be one of the three guys ownership set up Ryan Poles to interview on Day 1?

Smells like bullshit to me.

Like, *this* is the best choice to guide your biggest asset? For those pining for Kafka, Kafka is a complete unknown.

Think about it like this: If Eberfluss hires Kafka as his OC, that means they trust the Chiefs QB coach to mold Fields and call plays more than they trust the Chiefs OC. There’s something wrong with that line of thinking, if that’s how it goes.

A lot is going to ride on whoever the OC is. I’ll reserve ultimate judgment until we truly know how this will go. My snap reaction, though, is that I don’t like it.

Poles told them his candidates beforehand. He and Eberflus are on good terms because they share an agent.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
HC’s:

11 D’s
2 ST’s
14 O’s

5 vacancies.

MN just got rid of a D
Miami got rid of a D
Houston of an O
Saints of an O
And Giants of a ST

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For those whining about an OC potentially leaving for HC. Just hire Mike McDaniel. Never called plays before so probably will be around for 2-3 years and when he leaves you can get 2 third round draft picks for developing a minority coach. If you can't get him then maybe try and pry Eric B from the Chiefs which may help him get under Reid's shadow and prove he is HC material.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
That was definitely the case over the last couple of years to mixed results.

I quickly went down a list and counted 7 defensive guys as head coaches right now. Think it was 14 offensive guys. There are some vacant positions and some guys who aren’t really one side of the ball. Like Dan Campbell. I guess he comes from the offensive side, correct? But I wouldn’t consider him an offensive guy. There are a few like that. John Harbaugh falls into that category for me. Wasn‘t he a special teams coach. I guess they’re considered ”CEO head coaches” or something like that.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
Walterfootball's only notable credentials are making a decent but ad-heavy website for people hungry for draft content. His actual analysis sucks as much as any joe schmoe idiot out there.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
I'll give the guy a chance. I'm obviously rooting for his success with the Bears. But it's hard to be excited about someone that most of us never heard of until a few weeks ago and there were more experienced candidates available. I disliked the Nagy hire 4 years ago because of his lack of experience, performance in titan-KC playoff game, possibly riding Reids' coattails, etc. But my reaction to Eberflus is more of a shrug. He better get the OC right.

Last edited:

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Another Bear HC fuck up

They have a QB that can't read defenses and a horrible offense and they hire a defensive guy. Welcome to 5 years of .500
And Aaron Rodgers is going to destroy San Fran on their way to the Superbowl, right idiot?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I quickly went down a list and counted 7 defensive guys as head coaches right now. Think it was 14 offensive guys. There are some vacant positions and some guys who aren’t really one side of the ball. Like Dan Campbell. I guess he comes from the offensive side, correct? But I wouldn’t consider him an offensive guy. There are a few like that. John Harbaugh falls into that category for me. Wasn‘t he a special teams coach. I guess they’re considered ”CEO head coaches” or something like that.

Based on that list 4 Non OCs have won Super Bowls (Harbaugh, Tomlin, Bellichek, and Carroll) and 3 O minded HCs have won SBs (Reid, McCarthy, Arians). If you include the guys that coaches this season then the O minded HCs go up to 5 as Gruden and Payton also won. However, as there are more O minded coaches in the NFL the reality is the percentage of Non O minded HCs that won a Super Bowl is actually hire than O minded coaches.

I suspect that has a lot to do with O minded coaches tend to want to call their own plays and only a few of them can actually effectively manage being HC and call plays. So a lot of them contrary to popular belief end up flaming out.