Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

TL1961

Liked Posts:
So, let's see.....

We hated that our last HC called plays, but someone's upset that we didn't hire Eric B from KC as HC, presumably to call the offense?

And another concern/criticism is that we could hire an OC who is so successful with our offense that teams want to hire him away as HC after one season, and that's a bad thing?

You know what's a bad thing? No other teams wanting your coordinators! Pretty sure that when you see a team having its coordinators hired away, that team had success.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wait. I saw something about the Chiefs getting comp picks for Poles? Are there really comp picks rewarded for losing minority coaches or something like that?

Yes. HCs or GMs. You get a 3rd round comp pick for for 2 years so long as the minority coach that left was with your org for 2 years.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Well, Win and your in, lose and you go home, out of the post season, seems like a bad game to have an "off" day?
And they could have won other games throughout the season to help them get in the playoffs. And the Colts offense lost them that game. Not the defense.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Yes. HCs or GMs. You get a 3rd round comp pick for for 2 years so long as the minority coach that left was with your org for 2 years.
Wow. Might as well hire all minorities then.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
Toledo, Missouri, Browns, Cowboys, Colts.

Jason Garrett, Eric Mangini, Frank Reich.

This is his employment history.

Does this excite anyone? Does this give anyone confidence?
Did ANY of the coaches in this hiring period excite anyone. I think this is why we now have 25 pages and counting of this bullshit bantering. No clearcut choice this year.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Did ANY of the coaches in this hiring period excite anyone. I think this is why we now have 25 pages and counting of this bullshit bantering. No clearcut choice this year.
Agreed on that. There's a couple I would have LIKED.... but no one I LOVED. Totally agree on the no clear cut choice.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
better have a stud oc ready to go

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Poles was in KC. If he were sold on Eric B then he would be coach.

We will have to wait and see who they entrusted it too. Perhaps we should refrain from crying the sky is falling before we find out.
E.B also had a lengthy rap sheet as both a college and pro player to include being charged with assault on a women. It's not really shocking teams are hesitant to make him the face of their franchise.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
True for Walter, and true for everyone. What analytics do you have to demonstrate that he is wrong more than some/most/all? Even if he has been wrong in the past, like everyone else, why is he wrong this time - you don't like or agree with his narrative? Or regardless of what he believes, you dismiss his opinion because you don't trust him as a source?
His writeups about players are ridiculously bad, using like 15 'pros' and 10 'cons' bullet points but saying nothing about the actual tape. Doesn't use the words that scouts use to describe players, nothing like you'd get from Brett Kollman. I think he probably has a source, because he comes back from the combine with solid info about who likes who, but he is not a scout by any means.

I would think he's about the same, if not worse, in judging coaches. Dude has never shown that he can break down film or understand NFL strategy, so I'd have a tough time believing he's be able to critique a coach in that way. Also doubt he's heard many people talk about Eberflus, and he gives no such indication in his writeup. So I'd put him about on par with a fan who follows the NFL closely but doesn't have any background in football at all.

In what he actually did write, he blows off the Colts' league leading TOs by saying they played a weak schedule (not really true - nine games against playoff teams) and he says they didn't get a lot of sacks despite a first round DE, Kwity Paye, who was underwhelming, and with very little financial investment in the position. Their other starting DE was someone named Al-Quaidin Muhammed, who I'm guessing no one has ever heard of before. I haven't and I'm one of the biggest NFL nerds you will find. They also won four games against playoff teams, including thumping the Bills, so they didn't come up short in all their big games.

There are plenty of reason to be skeptical of this hire but they aren't the reasons he lists imo. The best thing about him, easily imo, is that he got a lot from a very under-resourced defense, one that really only had two studs and a bunch of marginal guys.

Just my 2c, obviously.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Not really. I think it says that he would be an absolute tough sell to ownership/fanbase to go back to the Reid well. Has nothing to do with Bienemy himself.

well it could easily be that poles being from the organization knows what bienemy truly brings to the table vs what everyone speculates.