Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

Yogi

Liked Posts:
I would've preferred an offensive guy, but I get John Harbaugh vibes from Eberflus, so hopefully the results look similar here.

And something that's promising about DCs that become good HCs is that they seem to put more emphasis on the O Line being dominant and physical. Belichick, Harbaugh, Vrabel, McDermott, etc., all put together good lines and want to run the other team over and out of the building.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
E.B also had a lengthy rap sheet as both a college and pro player to include being charged with assault on a women. It's not really shocking teams are hesitant to make him the face of their franchise.

Yeah I guess someone might be worried about that but given the NFL I am not sure that is the primary concern. Eric B is suffering from the Nagy effect as well as the fact unlike Leftwich, he really doesn't have full control of the O.

Really think he will have to be in control of a full offense before he gets a chance unless he gets lucky.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
And something that's promising about DCs that become good HCs is that they seem to put more emphasis on the O Line being dominant and physical. Belichick, Harbaugh, Vrabel, McDermott, etc., all put together good lines and want to run the other team over and out of the building.
Add to that how Poles is an offensive lineman and former Chiefs GM Scott Pioli said Poles had a real knack for identifying offensive line talent.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
E.B also had issues after the NFL in his coaching career. Remember, Andy Reid is the king of giving guys another chance but asking an NFL franchise to look beyond everything he's been involved in is near impossible.

According to the Daily Bruin, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy on a DUI charge in April 2001, three months after he joined the football staff as a running backs coach. He previously had his driver’s license suspended after numerous violations.
Bieniemy was also linked to allegations that Colorado’s football program “used alcohol and sex to lure recruits.” ESPN reported in 2004 that the university discovered there was evidence of drugs and alcohol being used to “entice recruits,” but no university officials were guilty of misconduct.

Bieniemy left Colorado after the 2002 season to take the same position at UCLA.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I love how they just ignore the guys that have had success like McDermott and Staley.
And Vrabel.

I can see the angle of not many defensive minded coaches being hired. But, to put up the numbers as if it's a sure bet that they'll fail is false.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
E.B also had issues after the NFL in his coaching career. Remember, Andy Reid is the king of giving guys another chance but asking an NFL franchise to look beyond everything he's been involved in is near impossible.

According to the Daily Bruin, Colorado police arrested Bieniemy on a DUI charge in April 2001, three months after he joined the football staff as a running backs coach. He previously had his driver’s license suspended after numerous violations.
Bieniemy was also linked to allegations that Colorado’s football program “used alcohol and sex to lure recruits.” ESPN reported in 2004 that the university discovered there was evidence of drugs and alcohol being used to “entice recruits,” but no university officials were guilty of misconduct.

Bieniemy left Colorado after the 2002 season to take the same position at UCLA.
Teams will
That Colorado scandal was for realz. If that happened today it would global news for weeks.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh well, I wanted Joe Lombardi. Looks like none of us is getting what we wanted.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Four of four coaches this weekend have offensive backgrounds.

he isn’t young either, he is the same age as Dan Quinn. Apparently has no plan for his staff, just a disaster hire.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
For those whining about an OC potentially leaving for HC. Just hire Mike McDaniel. Never called plays before so probably will be around for 2-3 years and when he leaves you can get 2 third round draft picks for developing a minority coach. If you can't get him then maybe try and pry Eric B from the Chiefs which may help him get under Reid's shadow and prove he is HC material.
McDaniel, is bi-racial, does that count?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
That Colorado scandal was for realz. If that happened today it would global news for weeks.
One thing synonymous with bienemy is that he doesn't interview well and I would be willing to bet a substantial amount of money it has nothing to with his philosophy or the X's and 0's and everything to do with his past.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Not a good look for me...Poles interviewed 3 candidates and picked his head coach within 48 hours of being named GM.

This is a relationship you hopefully will have for a long time. Why rush into selecting a coach when you haven't interviewed all the candidates yourself?

Especially when you have a young QB and the #1 goal should be surrounding him with as much as possible to succeed.

You mean we hired a GM who is supposed to have a great plan to convince our owners to hire him and he goes immediately to defense.....why not help our young QB by maybe interviewing an offense coach...

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
So basically 3 losers and 1 winner?
6 of 8 division winners had coaches with offensive backgrounds. The two exceptions were McDermott in Buffalo and Vrabel in Tennessee. It seems pretty obvious what direction you should take to win in today's league.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Poles is just setting this up so his Boi Matt Ryan will retire and be our OC...