Matt Eberflus - "For The Record" Registry

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Okay looks like the HC search is over with the above hire.
The other day I did a thread for the GM where everyone can go on record to give their
opinion of the hire and if they think that person will be a success.
This will resolve a lot of arguments that will come over the next several years as to who
said what when, so get on record now.
You can expound as much as you want on "the why" but YES or No please!

I'm going with yes, I think between he and Poles they'll figure it all and make the Bears relevant again.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Truthfully, nobody has a clue how this turns out. It's easy to sit here and say 'what a disaster' but nobody really knows. Same thing with Poles. It's very easy to be a unsuccessful GM/HC - so naturally everyone views the hires as bad. It doesn't make you right when they are ultimately fired, just a pessimist.

I like this hire over the retread options that were available. It's not exciting but I'll reserve judgement until I see some games played.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
For the record, these types of threads are ignorant.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I'll put it out there and say the Bears are looking at better times ahead. Fields proves to be a good QB and Ryan Poles comes in and fixes the O line pretty quickly, giving us an offense that can lean on the running game in much the same way the Seahawks leaned on Lynch early in Wilson's career. The defense continues to be a top half to top 10 type of unit and we start to push into that perennial playoff contender category.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
A lot is riding on who the offensive coordinator is and who the QB coach will be so until those are made, it's hard to put me in a definitive good or bad. My initial reaction was "meh". None of the three finalists would've even been on my radar to be the head coach if I'm being completely honest.

All I cared about entering this process was hopefully winding up with a head coach/coordinator and QB coach who can help make Justin the best QB he can be. Your margin for error as a team is so much larger when you've got a good to great to elite QB. Every rule change has favored the offense so I was wanted Daboll or Leftwich. No one else really stood out to me as guys that I really wanted and who knows how those two will wind up doing.

I do like that he made an immediate difference when he showed up as their defensive coordinator. I paid more attention to the Colts back then and you could tell they had definitely upgraded. I like that his defenses get a lot of turnovers. His defenses have always been good but I wouldn't say they've ever been truly great. Could be more of a product of rule changes though like I mentioned earlier. Will be curious to know how well his defenses did against the top offenses in the league and whether the rankings were skewed favorably by playing terrible AFC South offenses 6 games a season.

I am willing to give him a shot but if you asked me to bet right now, not knowing who his offensive coordinator or QB coach is whether I think he'll be here long-term, I'd lean towards no, but what the hell do I know? Would not surprise me if the Bears had a lot of good to very good defenses but prone to getting blasted by good QBs (just like everyone else). Whether there's a QB that can bail them out in those type of games remains to be seen.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
My first impression is that this hire is very underwhelming. It is status quo type of hire by the Bears. A 50+ year old defensive minded head coach.

It doesn't mean it won't work out or that Eberflus won't grow on me, but it isn't the direction that gets me excited and seems more like we are settling. With Rodgers hopefully leaving the division soon and an easy 2022 schedule, a solid defense and run game could get us in the playoffs.

But, I just feel we didn't aim for sky with this hire. Low floor, low ceiling type of hire.

At the end if the day, we arent going anywhere if we can't develop Fields. What possibly is Eberflus offering our young QB? His expertise is defense and meanwhile we look to be neglecting one of the most exciting young offensive players in our franchise's history. Why not do everything possible to improve his odds of succeeding?!

I much rather have went with Daboll who jas been alongside Josh Allen from.his underwhelming rookie year to his meteoric rise to MVP candidate. I was alsp intrigued with Brian Flores, but alot of unknowns there. If we were going defense, I'd rather just bring back Vic Fangio. Also, kind of surprised Poles never even interviewed Eric Bienemy considering the KC connection. So that's my official answer.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:

According to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, Eberflus is expected to take Colts linebackers coach Dave Borgonzi with him to the Bears. Rapoport says Borgonzi “should” end up with Eberflus and the Bears.

Borgonzi has been instrumental in the success of Colts linebacker Darius Leonard, who has established himself as one of the best linebackers in the NFL. The Bears also happen to have a top linebacker on their roster in Roquan Smith, who would benefit greatly from the influence of both Eberflus and Borgonzi.

Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer added that it might not just be Borgonzi coming to Chicago with Eberflus. Breer believes Colts safeties coach Alan Williams or Borgonzi could follow Eberflus to the Bears, perhaps both.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Bears needed an offensive visionary and they get a fine defensive coach. Kinda stupid given our QB can't read a defense and has a average ceiling. Any terrific OC we bring in will be picked as a HC by another team.

Welcome to .500 for the next 5 years

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
I like the idea of s defensive-minded head coach. Eberflus can work on the defense, maybe get it back up to par - and I think he won't interfere with an OC and QB coach the way an offensive-minded HC would.

It really depends on who the OC and QB coach picks are.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shocking take from the "glass might as well be completely empty because it's already half empty" guy. :p
When Nagy & Pace got fired not a single poster was talking about Eberflus & Poles.

These guys are yes-men that are thankful for their jobs and will not cross George & Teddy.

Perfect from brass perspective.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Don't know. Don't mind. Hope he does well. :)

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
No
For the record, these types of threads are ignorant.
this is brilliant, stops all the unverifiable bullshit in a few years.
I'll put it out there and say the Bears are looking at better times ahead. Fields proves to be a good QB and Ryan Poles comes in and fixes the O line pretty quickly, giving us an offense that can lean on the running game in much the same way the Seahawks leaned on Lynch early in Wilson's career. The defense continues to be a top half to top 10 type of unit and we start to push into that perennial playoff contender category.
I agree better days ahead.

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Okay looks like the HC search is over with the above hire.
The other day I did a thread for the GM where everyone can go on record to give their
opinion of the hire and if they think that person will be a success.
This will resolve a lot of arguments that will come over the next several years as to who
said what when, so get on record now.
You can expound as much as you want on "the why" but YES or No please!

I'm going with yes, I think between he and Poles they'll figure it all and make the Bears relevant again.

I have no clue, don’t even knew this guys existed before being hired by the Bears, but since the Bears always hire the wrong guy, and they have never been relevant, expect for a few years in the mid 80’s.

I‘m going with No.

In 3-5 years they will be looking to replace them.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Eberflus was my #1 choice for a while but that was contingent on getting an experienced GM. When we got a GM with 0 experience i was hoping Quinn would be the choice. Now we have a first time GM and HC. Typical Bears. I am not thrilled with how this turned out even though we got the guy i wanted. I hope both guys hit it out the park and 4 years from now we are talking about how great these hires were but i dont think thats going to happen.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
When Nagy & Pace got fired not a single poster was talking about Eberflus & Poles.

These guys are yes-men that are thankful for their jobs and will not cross George & Teddy.

Perfect from brass perspective.
Poles could have had the Vikings job. The word is George wanted Caldwell and Ted wanted Quinn. Doesn’t exactly align with your predictable narrative…

None of know us how this turns out. However, you’re a miserable cunt. That is a fact.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I ordered him a coffee ninja