Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

mecha

Liked Posts:
I am really just here for the meltdowns right now. Initial reactions are the best and the usual suspects are really showing out. This place remains undefeated.
the chicken little effect. I called these dumbfucks out for their chicken little shit years ago, for matters that are honestly way more trivial than this shitshow nightmare now, and everyone was FUCKING MAD.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not a good look for me...Poles interviewed 3 candidates and picked his head coach within 48 hours of being named GM.

This is a relationship you hopefully will have for a long time. Why rush into selecting a coach when you haven't interviewed all the candidates yourself?

Especially when you have a young QB and the #1 goal should be surrounding him with as much as possible to succeed.

You mean we hired a GM who is supposed to have a great plan to convince our owners to hire him and he goes immediately to defense.....why not help our young QB by maybe interviewing an offense coach...
I believe it was reported that the Bears GM candidates had an opportunity to speak with prospective HCs. So Poles likely talked to a few guys before he was hired.

Also, the NFL is a small circle. These people know each other or they know people who know each other and can talk too for references, get an idea on how they operate, etc

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Sounds like Eberflus could bring Colts' LB coach Dave Borgonzi here to be DC. We'd certainly have the market cornered on coaches with last names you've probably never heard of until now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah I am not buying that. I think he had to basically select from a list, but of that list I think he went with the best hire. At least we won't have an idiot at HC.
Poles and Eberflus share Trace Armstrong as an agent and are apparently well acquainted with each other. Eberflus was rumored to be one of Poles top choices as HC before Poles got the GM job.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Sounds like Eberflus could bring Colts' LB coach Dave Borgonzi here to be DC. We'd certainly have the market cornered on coaches with last names you've probably never heard of until now.
Mike Borgonzi is the director of football operations in KC. One of Poles peers and good friends. Dave is Mike's brother.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
Honestly, none of this shit matters. None.

Most coaches, regardless of which side of the ball they are on, flame out after one run as HC.

You hope that you end up beating the odds, and at the end of the day, there is nothing sure fire - there is only risk mitigation....
That is exactly my point here - It swings both ways - Plenty examples on both sides of the ball - You want someone that can manage all three phases O D and ST-

We just saw 1 and done Green Bay lose everything by managing with the 32nd ranked special teams.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wait... So Polian picked Poles to run the show. And is not pleased because Poles picked a coach he didn't agree with?

Seems like it.

Or, this is all a show for the benefit of the league and the fans to try to change the perspective of how things are run on the Bears.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Jahns: When you hire an adviser — especially one with the resume that Bill Polian has — it’s easy to contend that things were moving in Eberflus’ direction from the start. That Eberflus was set to get a second interview before Poles was even interviewed should raise some eyebrows, too. But don’t dismiss all of Poles’ connections to Eberflus, either. My understanding is that McCaskey, Polian and team president Ted Phillips stayed out of all of the final interviews and that hiring Eberfus was 100 percent Poles’ decision. The skeptic would argue that the Bears would say that’s the case. But sources said that Polian also hasn’t been at Halas Hall.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Seems like it.

Or, this is all a show for the benefit of the league and the fans to try to change the perspective of how things are run on the Bears.
Honestly seems like a bonehead George pick in this case. They had already invited Eberflus for a 2nd interview way before hiring Poles. Yes, I know others were invited, but for a guy like Poles that supposedly is focusing on improving the O and getting Fields on the right track, this wreaks George.

The only way I see this working is if Poles himself has a big idea of who "he" wants to bring in as an OC that fits the plan he wants to implement.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Poles and Eberflus share Trace Armstrong as an agent and are apparently well acquainted with each other. Eberflus was rumored to be one of Poles top choices as HC before Poles got the GM job.

I can't remember which twitter I read it on earlier today, but the other rather large connection is Chris Ballard. Poles and Ballard know each other from Kansas City and it sounded like they have stayed in touch. No doubt he got some insight into Eberflus there as well.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I can't remember which twitter I read it on earlier today, but the other rather large connection is Chris Ballard. Poles and Ballard know each other from Kansas City and it sounded like they have stayed in touch. No doubt he got some insight into Eberflus there as well.
I don't get how people are under the impression that Teams FO people sit in this plastic bubble and don't communicate with the outside world(aka other team's FO).

I just hope Poles passed the "mock press conference."