Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

Bort

Liked Posts:
I like the hire.

Eberflus' units have consistently overachieved their talent level going all the way back to his college coaching days.

Coaches who have a history of overachieving with limited talent tend to have more future success than coaches who splashed with gaudy statistics on loaded teams.

MakeMyDay

VISIONARY
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the hire.

Eberflus' units have consistently overachieved their talent level going all the way back to his college coaching days.

Coaches who have a history of overachieving with limited talent tend to have more future success than coaches who splashed with gaudy statistics on loaded teams.
Interesting take for sure

Canth

Liked Posts:
I am ok with the hire. As so many have said, the next most important hire is going to be his Offensive Coordinator.

I do think the defensive and special teams background head coaches often have more of a CEO style and I do like that idea. So many of the young offensive minded guys want to also be the playcaller and only a couple of them can really pull it off without losing the overview of the team.

So, from that standpoint, I like the idea that the main person that will be creating the offense around Fields only has to be devoted to creating that offense and developing Fields. They don't also have to be in meetings for the defense, with the front office, etc. Sure, there is a concern that if they do really well in creating that offense that they will get a HC opportunity and leave. But that should also mean that Fields was developed into a great qb and the offense is producing. At that point, it should be a good thing and easier to keep it going either via promoting from within or other really good OC candidates wanting to work with Fields.

What we want to avoid is the Lovie or Flores situations where you are rotating and changing OC's because the first one, then the next one, then the next one, etc. all suck.

BearbaFett

Liked Posts:
I can't remember which twitter I read it on earlier today, but the other rather large connection is Chris Ballard. Poles and Ballard know each other from Kansas City and it sounded like they have stayed in touch. No doubt he got some insight into Eberflus there as well.
yeah agreed....they might have known each other for a while with the trace armstrong and chris ballard connections

hoping that they mesh well and can use their connections around the league to build a rock star staff

Joker85

Liked Posts:
The Bears have shown they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. So all we can really do is wait, watch, and hope for the best. I have no idea how these hires will turn out, never heard of either of them until the last 2 weeks. I have no confidence in the Bears brain trust to get it right, but the deed is done and I'll cheer these guys on.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think going with a DC guy for the HC is foolish, my real worry is now the potential for not having consistency on the O for a young QB.. you get a great OC.. and if there is any success they get plucked for a HC job..
Our hope should be that the new OC gets plucked for a head coaching position. That means he did well and by that time Justin will be well on his way.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Doesn’t it look more like Quinn was Bears-or-bust, and that once they hired Eberflus, he took his name out of consideration for other jobs?

That’s what would seem to be indicated by him getting a second interview this week and only pulling out **after** Eberflus got the Bears job.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:

Rise

Liked Posts:
His defensive philosophy is outdated. He is bad against the pass and 3rd down conversion. It does create turnovers though which is a positive.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Doesn’t it look more like Quinn was Bears-or-bust, and that once they hired Eberflus, he took his name out of consideration for other jobs?

That’s what would seem to be indicated by him getting a second interview this week and only pulling out **after** Eberflus got the Bears job.

Mostly although there was a lot of smoke for him to Denver as well. Once those two jobs were gone, he obviously decided to wait a year and go back to Dallas.

One Team

Liked Posts:
How many times have you heard a HOF speech and a guy rattles off a bunch of other HOF people that influenced them? All the time! I absolutely think who you learn from is critical. Any successful business person too will say the same thing.
Always read your posts...you aren't lazy and you generate thoughtful conversation, and you touch again on an insightful thought regarding how 'we' learn in our business pursuits and how that applies to coaching.

Now, I know nothing about coaching, but as someone who started at the literal bottom of the 'totem pole' in the mud and snow on a drilling rig, I used every engagement I had as an opportunity to build my own base of knowledge in pursuit of my aspirations of building companies, and while I had some great mentors that I learned from, I also learned a ton from the 'shitbag' bosses I had.

I would hazard a guess that there is some relevancy to this phenomena in coaching as well.

Joker85

Liked Posts:

Hope its not Arians 2.0 where the veteran coach desperately wants the job but the big brain bears brush him off for a literal who and he goes onto be a stud somewhere else. I guess we'll see.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Another Bear HC fuck up

They have a QB that can't read defenses and a horrible offense and they hire a defensive guy. Welcome to 5 years of .500

Pretty sure he knows he has to get the offensive hire right.

Oh, and Ballard loves Eberflus.

"With Josh McDaniels set to take the head coaching job with the Indianapolis Colts, Eberflus was hired to be his defensive coordinator. Though when McDaniels ultimately withdrew his acceptance and decided to stay in New England, Eberflus stayed on as defensive coordinator when Philadelphia Eagles' offensive coordinator Frank Reich was hired as the Colts' head coach.

Though Eberflus and Reich had never met, Colts' General Manager Chris Ballard 'was very persuasive and very strong in his conviction [to Reich] that Matt was the right guy'."

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Toledo, Missouri, Browns, Cowboys, Colts.

Jason Garrett, Eric Mangini, Frank Reich.

This is his employment history.

Does this excite anyone? Does this give anyone confidence?
Doesn't bother me, I've been smarter and better than every boss I ever had.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I like the hire.

I read his wikipedia too and it sure seems like this is the case.

I am not sure my emotional state. I would have to describe my reaction as cautiously pessimistic.

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I know nothing of this guy, so I have no opinion.

I guess Go Bears