Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We’re two major hires into the offseason, and we still haven’t seen what will be the most important hire to the Bears’ future.

If we did know would that mean we get extra wins next year?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny he never told the Vikings to interview this guy.
probably because the Vikings already knew they were on the outside looking in and the interviewed Quinn

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
Let's be honest, the loudest people today are the ones that didn't get "their guy."

And I say that as a 1A. Daboll 1B Leftwich guy

Maybe we should all just admit that nobody is a sure thing.
Those were my choices as well. Ultimately it comes down to me just not having the energy to be so outraged about something I have no clue will turn out.

So pretty much endorse this post wholeheartedly.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those were my choices as well. Ultimately it comes down to me just not having the energy to be so outraged about something I have no clue will turn out.

this...anyone outraged is wasting energy on something they have zero clue on how will turn out

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Would I have prefered the next Bill Walsh who is in his 40s that will be the HC for the next 25 years? Yes.

Is there anyone out there, ever, who is like that? I can only think of one, and he's 70 and said he wouldn't coach past that age. (Though I'm pretty sure he'll go back on that soon)

For all we know, Eberflaus has the magic touch to unlock all of Fields' potential. Or, he want to trade him tomorrow. Whatever, I'll still watch the Bears because I have battered wife syndrome.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
So Dan Quinn decided to stay as DC in Dallas, so we hired Eberflus.
I saw it reported that it was the other way around. Once Bears decided on Eburflus Quin withdrew his name from consideration for the remaining teams and went back to Dallas. He wanted the Bears job.

Rise

Liked Posts:
I saw it reported that it was the other way around. Once Bears decided on Eburflus Quin withdrew his name from consideration for the remaining teams and went back to Dallas. He wanted the Bears job.

lol

Canth

Liked Posts:

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that Quinn wanted Denver or Chicago. When he got neither, he decided to stay in Dallas. Who knows, maybe Jerry gave him a raise to keep him around.

The fun rumor I saw on the Rich Eisen show is that Quinn wants to work with Sean Payton in 2023 in Dallas...

Rise

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that Quinn wanted Denver or Chicago. When he got neither, he decided to stay in Dallas. Who knows, maybe Jerry gave him a raise to keep him around.

The fun rumor I saw on the Rich Eisen show is that Quinn wants to work with Sean Payton in 2023 in Dallas...

JJ opened the wallet and this is his plan. Of course cheap ass McCaskey wouldn't beat it.

ndgt10

Liked Posts:

Quinn declined to be the HC of the Bears because he wants to be the DC for Sean Payton in 2023? Right.

Canth

Liked Posts:
JJ opened the wallet and this is his plan. Of course cheap ass McCaskey wouldn't beat it.

Honestly, George seems to be willing to spend money. He just hasn't shown he knows how to spend it wisely.

Hopefully they got it right this time.

Quinn was definitely more of a known quantity, but he wasn't a slam dunk either. None of the HC candidates this year were slam dunks or obviously better than another one. And I found it concerning that Quinn's defenses in Atlanta were not actually very good as that was his specialty. He also had clock management issues and risk taking concerns - going too conservative at times, etc. Maybe he's learned from that, maybe he hasn't. We'll never know in Chicago anyway.

After reading and watching some of the various discussions around on Chicago media, I will say I am encouraged that there is a belief that Eberflus will bring an accountability back to Chicago. The "loaf" system that was used by Lovie, Marinelli, and now Eberflus is effective in setting standards, a culture, and getting guys to play hard and be accountable. I hate to say it, but it does seem to suit the Bears. So, from that standpoint, having an identity like that can be a good thing.

Now we all know, the next biggest hires are the offensive coordinator and the offensive staff. Are any of the current offensive coaches worth keeping? Do you keep DeFilippo? Is Castillo worth keeping? I don't know and obviously you need the TBD OC to be involved in those decisions. And what's crazy is that there are still so many open HC spots around the league that there is still going to be a lot of movement of position coaches and coordinators for a while.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Honestly, George seems to be willing to spend money. He just hasn't shown he knows how to spend it wisely.

Hopefully they got it right this time.

Quinn was definitely more of a known quantity, but he wasn't a slam dunk either. None of the HC candidates this year were slam dunks or obviously better than another one. And I found it concerning that Quinn's defenses in Atlanta were not actually very good as that was his specialty. He also had clock management issues and risk taking concerns - going too conservative at times, etc. Maybe he's learned from that, maybe he hasn't. We'll never know in Chicago anyway.

After reading and watching some of the various discussions around on Chicago media, I will say I am encouraged that there is a belief that Eberflus will bring an accountability back to Chicago. The "loaf" system that was used by Lovie, Marinelli, and now Eberflus is effective in setting standards, a culture, and getting guys to play hard and be accountable. I hate to say it, but it does seem to suit the Bears. So, from that standpoint, having an identity like that can be a good thing.

Now we all know, the next biggest hires are the offensive coordinator and the offensive staff. Are any of the current offensive coaches worth keeping? Do you keep DeFilippo? Is Castillo worth keeping? I don't know and obviously you need the TBD OC to be involved in those decisions. And what's crazy is that there are still so many open HC spots around the league that there is still going to be a lot of movement of position coaches and coordinators for a while.

I ain’t reading all that here is the facts. If we had a real owner we would have Harbaugh for $100 million because it’s a drop in the bucket. Instead we get this enjoy.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Sorry if this has been posted.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Well we dodged a fucking bullet gents

Canth

Liked Posts:
I ain’t reading all that here is the facts. If we had a real owner we would have Harbaugh for $100 million because it’s a drop in the bucket. Instead we get this enjoy.

Eh, I actually agree with that decision. Harbaugh hasn't done anything to make him worth a 10 year, $100+ million dollar contract. I don't really care what he did 10 years ago with the 49ers and in the end, he never did actually win a Superbowl. He nearly got fired at Michigan, had to take a massive pay cut, hasn't won a bowl game in like 7 years and for the last several bowl games, his teams have been blown out. He isn't some can't miss football god that is worth that much.