Despite many on the Score saying Eberfleus runs a Tampa 2, looks like he's evolved it to a more cover-3 model:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

Fascinating article from 2 years ago.

Looks like Eberfleus not only knows how to run the Tampa 2, but he's already been tinkering with it while on the Colts to modernize it into something new...
The Tampa 2 is actually a cover 3 shell.

Cover 2 is not Tampa 2 exactly

Tampa 2 looks like a Cover 2 and gets into a Cover 3 it has flexibility depending on what routes are being run by the receivers

Think when Urlacher dropped into coverage form a cover 3....that's Tampa 2

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Eberflus can get his defense off the field, no doubt. But we need the offense to stay the fuck out there if this is gonna work out for them at all.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Just give a coach the lines (both offense and defense) , and make them play smash mouth football. There will be improvement. Control the lines , most probably win the game.

Nagy and Pace was playing a soft ass offense with no power running game, and too many snaps from shotgun. The Bears D was allowing time for QBs to throw the ball and being ran over, especially the good teams.

marioworld

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No defensive coordinator wants to be known as a 3-4 or 4-3, cover 2 or 3, man, zone... yadda, etc... Pre snap look vs post... You get what I'm saying, every guy is going to mix it up as the league goes more and more weighted towards the offence.

The more the league favors offence the more defense takes a back seat, however it is just as relevant as ever and more importantly has to be hard to read pre snap. I don't want someone that is a (insert defense here) guy. I just hope they can make it work with who we have.

I like that his defense was good when it came to its lack of penalties, a drop off from previous years. We need a more disciplined unit, last year was an embarrassment.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No defensive coordinator wants to be known as a 3-4 or 4-3, cover 2 or 3, man, zone... yadda, etc... Pre snap look vs post... You get what I'm saying, every guy is going to mix it up as the league goes more and more weighted towards the offence.

Unless your name is Lovie Smith...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The best thing about that article is Flus began to change the defense once he had the players to run the more complex scheme. He didn’t put the cart before the horses…

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I heard around halfway thru last season he started to deviate away from cover 2. I think it was after they gave up a ton of points to the Jets who had some random ass QB playing

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Unless your name is Lovie Smith...
Lovie ran quite a bit of Cover 3 after Danieal Manning was drafted. Also, more and more teams are rotating post snap to a 2 high safety look to combat offenses sending multiple WRs vertical. No one coverage is the best. All of them have weaknesses.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The problem with the coaches who are married to a zone scheme is top QB's will carve you up if you sit in zone all day. Yes, you might limit big plays but they will dissect you all the way down the field. Smart coaches mix man and zone up, giving the QB multiple looks and keep them guessing. Otherwise it's just too easy.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tampa 2 is a Cover 3 shell...

no one runs a cover 2 or cover 3 exclusively at all

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He never had a traditional 3 technique to run the fully one gap style that most Tampa 2s employ up front.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Look these tampa 2, cover 3, what have yous are the pre-snap things. What is going to matter more, I think, is the guy on the field who adjusts coverage and all that. Urlacher was brilliant for this, and Roquon Smith is going to have a lot more on his plate if he is to follow in those footsteps

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Man. Remember how good Tommie Harris was at one point?
Remember the game vs Minnesota where he, like some Sci Fi movie, was simultaneously offsides and not offsides?

I would have flagged that play. I wish he had a longer career.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
The best thing about that article is Flus began to change the defense once he had the players to run the more complex scheme. He didn’t put the cart before the horses…
It is great that Eberflus was able to change with the times, but he may have had a great defense in Indy if he could have gotten a consistent pass rush. Five DE's taken in rounds 1 or 2 since 2018, and to this point none have worked out. Question is...........DC's fault for not developing the talent given to him, or GM's fault for providing drafting poorly.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Remember the game vs Minnesota where he, like some Sci Fi movie, was simultaneously offsides and not offsides?

I would have flagged that play. I wish he had a longer career.
Tommie had a fantastic knack for anticipating the snap count.