*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
This is what I care about:

A head coach needs to be a leader and administrator first, detail guy on a given side of the ball second (or maybe 3rd). Sounds like Eberflus has some of that in him based on his reputation but we'll find out.
A head coach also needs to be able to put together a good staff.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Right, which would probably be the second most important thing for him. Perhaps:

1. Leader, commands respect, establishes direction
2. Hires good staff, empowers them to do their jobs
3. Input onto offense/defense/ST

Something like that.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think overall he did a good job. I give the overall hirings in general, from GM to HC on down a solid B, with upside to be an A. But that's just me. What I like is that Flus immediately started addressing the issues that Nagy/Pace seemed to ignore for years, and has put his full support behind Fields.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
About the ROONEY RULE:

If we're not going to penalize for not hiring Black coaches, how about we reward FOR minority hires? XX number/level of coaches, there is a value assigned, based on the number/level of the coach, and that allows you either (1.) extra draft picks (2.) an expanded cap. The racist owners are just going to find loopholes and exploit the Rooney rule, bring in token interviews, like Texas just did. The teams that actually address it. Maybe if you have a Black GM/MC you get an extra 1st round pick and $5 million extra in cap. And then that scales down for other minority coaches, with lower picks. Thoughts?
The NFL needs to foster more Black candidates going into coaching. Thats really the long and short of it.

Lovie spoke on this the other day. They need more Black players who want to get into coaching.

At the NFL level to start and in college.

The problem isn't the lack of teams hiring black coaches as HC, its the amount of viable candidates they have to choose from.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The NFL needs to foster more Black candidates going into coaching. Thats really the long and short of it.

Lovie spoke on this the other day. They need more Black players who want to get into coaching.

At the NFL level to start and in college.

The problem isn't the lack of teams hiring black coaches as HC, its the amount of viable candidates they have to choose from.
I disagree, and Leftwich and Bieniemy would concur.

"Because of the public outcry, high-powered civil rights attorneys Johnnie Cohran and Cyrus Mehri released a study entitled Black Coaches in the National Football League: Superior Performance, Inferior Opportunities, revealing that Black head coaches, even with higher winning percentages of games played, were less likely to be hired and more likely to be fired than their white counterparts. Not only do Black coaches have a slim chance to be hired but a recent study has shown that Black coaches are rarely considered again as viable candidates once they have been released from other assignments, unlike their white contemporaries who are often rehired and kept their jobs even with mediocre results."

We do need to change the Rooney Rule as well.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree, and Leftwich and Bieniemy would concur.

"Because of the public outcry, high-powered civil rights attorneys Johnnie Cohran and Cyrus Mehri released a study entitled Black Coaches in the National Football League: Superior Performance, Inferior Opportunities, revealing that Black head coaches, even with higher winning percentages of games played, were less likely to be hired and more likely to be fired than their white counterparts. Not only do Black coaches have a slim chance to be hired but a recent study has shown that Black coaches are rarely considered again as viable candidates once they have been released from other assignments, unlike their white contemporaries who are often rehired and kept their jobs even with mediocre results."

We do need to change the Rooney Rule as well.
Bieniemy has some issues that people may not believe he is ready.

Leftwich will be a HC. But he pulled out of consideration because he didn't want to work with Baalke as the rumor goes.

You are also highlighting my exact point of not enough viable candidates.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
About the ROONEY RULE:

If we're not going to penalize for not hiring Black coaches, how about we reward FOR minority hires? XX number/level of coaches, there is a value assigned, based on the number/level of the coach, and that allows you either (1.) extra draft picks (2.) an expanded cap. The racist owners are just going to find loopholes and exploit the Rooney rule, bring in token interviews, like Texas just did. The teams that actually address it. Maybe if you have a Black GM/MC you get an extra 1st round pick and $5 million extra in cap. And then that scales down for other minority coaches, with lower picks. Thoughts?
That why teams are awarded two 3rd round picks if a minority is hired away from them to be a GM or HC. It is incentive to promote minorities to higher ranking positions within your organization, as that’s the only way you get rewarded.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That why teams are awarded two 3rd round picks if a minority is hired away from them to be a GM or HC. It is incentive to promote minorities to higher ranking positions within your organization, as that’s the only way you get rewarded.
Oh cool, I didn't know that. Thanks. That's good. Maybe something for lower-level coaches as well? A fifth or seventh for every minority coach on the roster. IDK. Just spitballing here.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Leftwich will be a HC. But he pulled out of consideration because he didn't want to work with Baalke as the rumor goes.

Well, there are few ways of looking that:
  1. There actually are a lot of viable candidates, but they aren't being hired for various reasons, sometimes, due to race.
  2. There are NOT enough viable candidates because teams aren't hiring them at lower levels, teaching them, and then promoting them from within.
  3. There isn't enough interest, talent, intellect, experience in general for Black men in and around the league. I don't tend to believe this one.
In this country, Black Americans make up for 12% of the population. As far as HEAD coaches, last I checked it was about 6% of the NFL. Almost 60% of the players are Black. IDK. Numbers are low. I don't know if I can find statistics on coaches that are not head coaches, or if these stats include AC, DLC, OLC, QBC, etc.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I think overall he did a good job. I give the overall hirings in general, from GM to HC on down a solid B, with upside to be an A. But that's just me. What I like is that Flus immediately started addressing the issues that Nagy/Pace seemed to ignore for years, and has put his full support behind Fields.
Well, Fields has only been here for one year, so I'm not sure how Nagy/Pace ignored that for years...

I think it's an OK staff, with my favorite hire being the OC Getsy. However, I think the DC Williams hire is Mel Tucker level bad.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
  1. There actually are a lot of viable candidates, but they aren't being hired for various reasons, sometimes, due to race.
  2. There are NOT enough viable candidates because teams aren't hiring them at lower levels, teaching them, and then promoting them from within.
  3. There isn't enough interest, talent, intellect, experience in general for Black men in and around the league. I don't tend to believe this one.
In this country, Black Americans make up for 12% of the population. As far as HEAD coaches, last I checked it was about 6% of the NFL. Almost 60% of the players are Black. IDK. Numbers are low. I don't know if I can find statistics on coaches that are not head coaches, or if these stats include AC, DLC, OLC, QBC, etc.
I am going off what Lovie Smith said, and I think he is more connected than us.

The big issue is 2. Are there enough interested in coaching who could be good coaches and are NFL coaches and teams doing enough mentoring to make it happen.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, Fields has only been here for one year, so I'm not sure how Nagy/Pace ignored that for years...

I think it's an OK staff, with my favorite hire being the OC Getsy. However, I think the DC Williams hire is Mel Tucker level bad.
One season, multiple years. Drafted him one year, season extended into 2021. Mostly that they didn't seem to have a plan, didn't adjust, didn't alter it to the players but instead were very rigid about executing an OFF no matter what.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Wait! Are they talking about that McGowan guy that used to play for the Bears???

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
d

The NFL hires head coaches that are black as shown throughout time. In the past 15 years, what candidates should have been hired that were not hired? Who got passed over because they were black? Good candidates get opportunities. I am still of the belief that this last cycle has just had uninspiring choices.

Which would indicate #2, but the statistics should that blacks are have seen substantial increase in representation at all levels.

I think this is issue is quite moot because the issue is not that we're making progress, but rather that people are impatient. The pool of black NFL coaches has increased significantly. As they continue to grow and get experience, so will the desire to bring them in for higher positions.

With that said, I do not know what ratio people are truly looking to achieve. I do not think there should be a definitive number associated with this issue. I think people are disappointed with the floor and just do not want to accept that the current list of candidates is bad, mediocre, or uninspiring.

I bet if Leftwich has a great year without Brady, he will get a job. If Tampa regresses significantly without Brady, then I imagine some people will suggest that BL needs more time to keep progressing.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

There are plenty of viable candidates. The issue is most of that is on the defensive side of the ball. HCs are skewed toward offense and there needs to be more minorities on the offensive side of the ball.

Last edited:

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
d

The NFL hires head coaches that are black as shown throughout time. In the past 15 years, what candidates should have been hired that were not hired? Who got passed over because they were black? Good candidates get opportunities. I am still of the belief that this last cycle has just had uninspiring choices.

Which would indicate #2, but the statistics should that blacks are have seen substantial increase in representation at all levels.

I think this is issue is quite moot because the issue is not that we're making progress, but rather that people are impatient. The pool of black NFL coaches has increased significantly. As they continue to grow and get experience, so will the desire to bring them in for higher positions.

With that said, I do not know what ratio people are truly looking to achieve. I do not think there should be a definitive number associated with this issue. I think people are disappointed with the floor and just do not want to accept that the current list of candidates is bad, mediocre, or uninspiring.

I bet if Leftwich has a great year without Brady, he will get a job. If Tampa regresses significantly without Brady, then I imagine some people will suggest that BL needs more time to keep progressing.
I hear you, but what do you do about racism in the NFL then? We have to address the issue in some way.

I don't own a football team, but I can talk about my experiences in publishing as a CEO, President, Editor, and author. If a press puts out books only by SWM, if their anthologies have 20 stories and they are ALL by SWM, they are probably racist. You have to actively work hard to stay 100% SWM. The first obstacle is women—are you publishing stories by women. They're about 50% of the population, so you should see female authors, no matter the genre. The second variable is ethnicity—are you publishing work by authors of color. It's going to be a lower percentage, but you'd expect to see SOME authors of color. And then you have across the LGBTQ+ rainbow, again, lower numbers, but some. Are you publishing authors from outside the USA? It comes down to attracting people TO your press, putting out the words, showing inclusion, and then being open to stories that are not about you or with protagonists that are SWM. The more you read, th more you look around, the more you put the word out, the more diverse your authors.

I think NFL teams are similar, They have to create an environment where minorities are welcome, they have to stand up for their rights (see BLM), and they need to put their money where their mouth is—and hire minorities.

Some teams are doing better than others. I can guarantee you there are owners that do not want a Black GM, a Black HC, and/or a Black QB. Because they're racist. And with such a huge number of Black players PLAYING in the NFL, you can see why they are tired of a lack of representation.

/whew, long rant, sorry