The New Shanahan Offense’s needs Part II: Return of the FB

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

The return of the FB is about to happen to the Bears. For those of us who actually used to like watching Matt Suhey and Brad Muster bulldozing the fuck out of people as Sweetness or Anderson would do their thing, this is a sweet moment, or even Rathman, (man, I loved watching him smash people), this is a good thing.

I’d like you to view Kollman’s discussion of the basic Trips to one side X to the other. If you add in Fields’ running ability to the bootleg to the opposite side as the trips with the X and the ability to threaten the pass, good things will happen for us.

I will post something on the OL later, but basically, this system calls for Guards that used to play TE, basketball, or soccer. Light in the feet and able to move. I want you guys to envision Tarik Cohen playing the Deebo role in this offense. With the motion and the matchups, that would be a great reason to roll the dice on him this year.

1645036347051.png

A big thank you to Harrison’s Huddle for this graphic. This is the basic three choices a RB has in the zone read. I know that it’s hard to see, but that is a FB opening up the “Bang” off of the 5 hole. (Edit: I was thinking about terminology. I would call this “cut”, “lead”, or “counter”.)

It also demands a very good blocking Fullback. This will take the place of and be the type of back we all had hoped that Ryan Nall would morph into. He never did. Nagy thought that JP “fucking trash” Holtz would be that, too. Everything that phony piece of shit did was fucking idiotic.

FA needs:

FB Michael Burton, Chiefs 1.039 million

We bring him in on a one-year deal. We then sign the best FBs that go undrafted and let them fight it out like “Fuck him” Pace did a few years ago with kickers to see who makes it for when Burton moves on. Burton can act as the model for what is expected of these guys.

Draft:

Zander Horvath, FB Perdue

:28 in this video shows some real fucking blocking. This is what I want to see a FB do: get your hands on a motherfucker and push his ass where he doesn’t want to go. The Eagles wonder why Rondale Moore isn’t Rondale Mooring, well, Horvath is a big reason. Yes, he broke a fibula and missed games, but bones heal a lot better than joints.

If we can snag a 7th for some dude that we trade, I’d like to snag Zander Horvath with it. He may go undrafted, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Miami snags him. They are going to be our biggest competitors for talent acquisition as their HC is a direct lineage to Shanahan, having been on the Commie staff back with the holy trinity of McVay, Kyle, and FGB.

UDFA:

Connor Heyward, UTE/FB MS

I like his bloodlines, his work ethic, his commitment to the game, and his ability to block and run hard. I really like his hands. He jumped out to me in the Senior Bowl on only a coupld of plays.

Clint Ratkovich, FB/HB NI

I wasn’t aware of him until I saw his crazy good block on a TD run. 3:12 of this vid: watch him seal the edge. That’s how to fucking block. Stood that motherfucker up. That’s what I want to see a FB do. I don’t want to see throw yourself on the ground and hope for the best like JP “fucking trash” Holtz.

John Chenal, FB W

He’s a big fucking dude from Wisconsin. Gotta love me some Wisconsin FB. Bring him in and let him do what he does. Why the fuck not?

Last edited:

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Further down in the article on Horvath is someone I like a bit better, even if he may be a project:
Jack Colletto, LB/QB, Oregon State.

Yeah, you read that right.

I get that a fullback needs to block, but I like the thought of that fullback being a dangerous offensive weapon in his own right. A 1-2 punch like Payton and Harper in 1978, or Anderson and Muster in 1990 can only make Fields that much better, and it opens the triple option.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I get everyone wanting to think about different possibilities. But this is kinda like discussing which of the top 10 in this draft fit the Bears the best…

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
If we have a FB, I imagine he has to be able to contribute either as a runner or receiving option. Is there anything wrong with putting a smaller TE back there that can block?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
If we have a FB, I imagine he has to be able to contribute either as a runner or receiving option. Is there anything wrong with putting a smaller TE back there that can block?
Every one of the dudes I listed can do what you asked in spades, especially Heyward.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Sorry, I didn’t answer your question.

Yes. There is a problem with a TE that can’t carry the ball. Having a back who can threaten the carry plus block and receive is much better for the run game.

A big back can be used on the goal line and short downs to spare Monty. To be fair, in general, the FB is now a smaller TE, like Heyward, that can also run the ball. Most of them are listed as a TE.

gocbears

Liked Posts:
I don't know if this guy is on the practice squad still, does he fit or no?:

The Bears announced Mason’s signing as a fullback, making the 6’3”, 254 pounder the only true fullback on the team.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I don't know if this guy is on the practice squad still, does he fit or no?:

The Bears announced Mason’s signing as a fullback, making the 6’3”, 254 pounder the only true fullback on the team.
Fucking Pace, man. Fuck Ryan Pace.

Baltimore took him back. He’s on a future’s deal with the Ravens.

That was my guy.

gocbears

Liked Posts:
Fucking Pace, man. Fuck Ryan Pace.

Baltimore took him back. He’s on a future’s deal with the Ravens.

That was my guy.

Disappointing, I was hoping he would signal the immediate departure of JP Holz, who I don't recall ever doing any one thing well (except maybe special teams)

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't "waste" *use that term loosely* a draft pick on a FB
Just to play around with your schematic lens a little bit: would you use a 7th round pick on a UTE that can lead block effectively, legitimately carry the ball on short yardage, run routes, and pass block in the backfield?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to play around with your schematic lens a little bit: would you use a 7th round pick on a UTE that can lead block effectively, legitimately carry the ball on short yardage, run routes, and pass block in the backfield?
so long as he's not another fucking JP Holz lol

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Further down in the article on Horvath is someone I like a bit better, even if he may be a project:
Jack Colletto, LB/QB, Oregon State.

Yeah, you read that right.

I get that a fullback needs to block, but I like the thought of that fullback being a dangerous offensive weapon in his own right. A 1-2 punch like Payton and Harper in 1978, or Anderson and Muster in 1990 can only make Fields that much better, and it opens the triple option.
I've seen Colletto play quite a bit being here in Oregon, he has talent and can play.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I think the FB thing is going to happen. The Rams don't really use a FB, Packers do a little with a backup TE, but Juszcyk is a big part of the 49ers offense at times. I definitely think this new staff will try it out. I doubt they spend any big resources on the position, but maybe try out a UDFA or cheap FA and if he can play, they'll build some plays using him. If not, they can clearly run the offense without a FB.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
"The chances of the Bears having an actual FB are slim to none…:

The bears don't need 15 TE. Nagy is gone.. Yea, FB is going to happen.