Bears to Sign DT Larry Ogunjobi from Bengals

SweetHomeChicago

I have a Senior Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
bearsb_logo.gif
Bears sign DT Larry Ogunjobi (3 years, $40.5 million; $26.35 million guaranteed): MILLEN Grade
Ladies and gentlemen, we have our first Millen grade of the offseason! Millens are "F" grades, except they are worse, somehow.

I don't understand this signing. Larry Ogunjobi is not a great player. He recorded seven sacks in 2021, but that was fluky; he notched 2.5 sacks in the prior season. Ogunjobi also tends to get trampled while trying to defend the run. If you were to ask me, "How much money will Ogunjobi get on a 3-year deal?" I would have answered with anywhere between $12 million and $15 million. I don't understand how the Bears determined that Ogunjobi is worth $40.5 million.
Tends to get trampled defending the run? Then why were the Bangles much better against the run when he was in on D?

Nelly

Liked Posts:
If Poles is going to fire some money at a defensive need, it might as well have been the most important position in Eberflus' defense and in the trenches. Just because the offense is in need of a lot of talent doesn't mean the defense doesn't have to play. It looks like our starters are largely set on the line somehow despite losing Hicks, Goldman, Mack and Nichols.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Double the amount for a guy off a career year; foot surgery 2 months ago; a liability vs the run and after starting he'd be judicious in FA????

Clearly we still have a Ryan as the GM; not much has changed.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Double the amount for a guy off a career year; foot surgery 2 months ago; a liability vs the run and after starting he'd be judicious in FA????

Clearly we still have a Ryan as the GM; not much has changed.
One thing is for sure…you haven’t changed for the better…

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Anybody got film on how he did vs Mustipher and Daniels this season?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
bearsb_logo.gif
Bears sign DT Larry Ogunjobi (3 years, $40.5 million; $26.35 million guaranteed): MILLEN Grade
Ladies and gentlemen, we have our first Millen grade of the offseason! Millens are "F" grades, except they are worse, somehow.

I don't understand this signing. Larry Ogunjobi is not a great player. He recorded seven sacks in 2021, but that was fluky; he notched 2.5 sacks in the prior season. Ogunjobi also tends to get trampled while trying to defend the run. If you were to ask me, "How much money will Ogunjobi get on a 3-year deal?" I would have answered with anywhere between $12 million and $15 million. I don't understand how the Bears determined that Ogunjobi is worth $40.5 million.
How the fuck do you get a fluky 7 sacks? They point out his 2.5 sacks the season prior but fail to mention he had 5.5 sacks the two seasons before that.

clenbuterol_clint

Formerly ClintK55
Liked Posts:
can anyone find a breakdown on why the 3T is so important for this defense? again i have absolutely no idea what any of this means so I'd like to at least have more than "Lovie said it was important". i googled it a bit earlier and didn't come up with much good information on it other than just an overview of the position in a cover 2 base

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
i told the wife i wanted an ogunjobi and she told me to go eff myself

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Something that nobody seems to be considering. Pace seemed very adamant about bringing in players that had very specific traits that he was looking for. It's quite possible that Ogun checked all the boxes so he was willing to pay a premium.

I don't know that that's true but it would make sense. He has a vision for the kind of players he likes and that will take precedence over pure talent in some cases. I would guess that had more to do with this signing than just being desperate for a 3 tech and overpaying.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hicks has the personality and voice for broadcast for sure.

Poor Akiem, the dude got hurt on the first play on opening day last season and was never the same.
Just last season?