*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:

I think it's the cool thing to say Pace gave out bad contracts and was terrible with spending.

Truth is, the media or fans would overstate the contract terms without reading the fine print. What really bad contracts were we stuck with that we couldn't get out of?

Eddie Jackson is an example if rewarding your in-house player and him going to trash once getting paid.
Trevathan 2nd contract was bad, but not detrimental to the roster. He played well for us and the injury bug ruined him.
I'll give you all Jimmy Graham, but at the same time the TE market was depleted.

Pace stood his ground with A-Rob.
We didn't hand out Trubisky a premature 5th yr option.
We have tons of cap space the next two years.

More people complain. Yet our new GM has paid top dollar to a DT that had one decent year in Cincinnati, yet coming off injury. I'm fine with swinging, just don't act like its any different than what Pace did.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I think it's the cool thing to say Pace gave out bad contracts and was terrible with spending.

Truth is, the media or fans would overstate the contract terms without reading the fine print. What really bad contracts were we stuck with that we couldn't get out of?

Eddie Jackson is an example if rewarding your in-house player and him going to trash once getting paid.
Trevathan 2nd contract was bad, but not detrimental to the roster. He played well for us and the injury bug ruined him.
I'll give you all Jimmy Graham, but at the same time the TE market was depleted.

Pace stood his ground with A-Rob.
We didn't hand out Trubisky a premature 5th yr option.
We have tons of cap space the next two years.

More people complain. Yet our new GM has paid top dollar to a DT that had one decent year in Cincinnati, yet coming off injury. I'm fine with swinging, just don't act like its any different than what Pace did.

There is still time to see what Kmet becomes. But outside of Kmet, every resource used by Pace at the TE position was either an overpay or a bad draft pick. He spent many millions and multiple high draft picks with very little to show in actual on the field production.

There is basically the same deal at qb. The talent is there for Fields, and we will see what he becomes in the next couple of years. Every single other qb resource spent by Pace was bad. Obviously, that is a huge effect on the entire franchise.

While I am happy for Cohen that he got paid before he got hurt, that was not a good contract to give to a gadget rb, or really any rb due to how you can find serviceable rb's in the draft every year. The smarter use of resources would have been to spend on the offensive line which helps your entire offense do better.

Early on, Pace was ok with the contracts he handed out. Some hits and misses similar to other teams, but nothing that was really a long term effect on the cap situation. But starting in 2018 when he decided to 'go for it', he started structuring contracts in a way that did not work for the team long term and arguably he did it with the wrong players in the short term as well. He tied up guaranteed money that put him in bad cap positions, especially when the player didn't keep performing to the contract value either due to injury or just a drop off in production.