Comp picks thread

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Lots of talk about comp picks this year, and the Bears are likely to lose several higher priced free agents. So I thought I would make a thread for it.

Overall, teams get comp picks for losing more free agents priced over a certain amount (in average annual salary) than they sign in a given offseason. So if that given amount is $2.5m, and the team signs 4 players over it and loses 6 players over it, they get 2 comp picks. Usually the total amount of comp picks is capped somewhere around 32 (one extra round in the draft or so, total).

The round of these picks is determined by the average annual salary as well. It works the same for gains and losses, so if you lose a 5th and gain a 5th it's a wash. If you gain a 4th and lose a 3rd, and the rest are 5th or lower, for example, the 4th cancels the 3rd. Last year, in a slightly depressed market due to covid, it looked like this:
3rd rounder: $16m+
4th rounder: $10.5m to $16m
5th rounder: $6.25m to $10.5m
6th rounder: $$3.3m to $6.25m
7th rounder: $2m to $3.3m

I expect it to be a bit higher for everything this year, with the bottom probably closer to $2.75m or so. But it won't be too different. With that I'll start with where the Bears are at currently and we can update, with average annual value and projected round value. One caveat is that player who were cut from their teams do not count against the formula, so for example were the Bears to sign JC Tretter, who was just released by Cleveland, he would not count against the formula. Same with Eddie Goldman on the other side.

Bears Signings (AAV)
Lucas Patrick ($4): 6th round
Nick Morrow ($2.5): 7th round or nothing
Byron Pringle ($4): 6th rounder
Al-quadin Muhammed ($5): 6th rounder

Bears who sign elsewhere
James Daniels ($8.83): 5th round
Jakeem Grant ($4.6)*Edit: Grant doesn't count because he shortened his contract*
Bilal Nichols ($5.5): 6th rounder
AROB ($15.5): 4th rounder

Last edited:

dennehy

Liked Posts:
AR could get 3rd round value but it's unlikely that any other Bear FA will get above 5th, so the Larry O deal probably erases anything above 5th rounder. That said the Bears could get a couple or three 5th and 6th rounders.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
AR could get 3rd round value but it's unlikely that any other Bear FA will get above 5th, so the Larry O deal probably erases anything above 5th rounder. That said the Bears could get a couple or three 5th and 6th rounders.
Who else are the Bears losing that would push AR's new outside deal TBD up to a 3rd Rd. comp?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Who else are the Bears losing that would push AR's new outside deal TBD up to a 3rd Rd. comp?
Likely no one because probably no one will get above a 5th.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IT ITS 5TH AND 6THS, THIS A GOOD DEEP DRAFT FOR THEM

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Lots of talk about comp picks this year, and the Bears are likely to lose several higher priced free agents. So I thought I would make a thread for it.

Overall, teams get comp picks for losing more free agents priced over a certain amount (in average annual salary) than they sign in a given offseason. So if that given amount is $2.5m, and the team signs 4 players over it and loses 6 players over it, they get 2 comp picks. Usually the total amount of comp picks is capped somewhere around 32 (one extra round in the draft or so, total).

The round of these picks is determined by the average annual salary as well. It works the same for gains and losses, so if you lose a 5th and gain a 5th it's a wash. If you gain a 4th and lose a 3rd, and the rest are 5th or lower, for example, the 4th cancels the 3rd. Last year, in a slightly depressed market due to covid, it looked like this:
3rd rounder: $16m+
4th rounder: $10.5m to $16m
5th rounder: $6.25m to $10.5m
6th rounder: $$3.3m to $6.25m
7th rounder: $2m to $3.3m

I expect it to be a bit higher for everything this year, with the bottom probably closer to $2.75m or so. But it won't be too different. With that I'll start with where the Bears are at currently and we can update, with average annual value and projected round value. One caveat is that player who were cut from their teams do not count against the formula, so for example were the Bears to sign JC Tretter, who was just released by Cleveland, he would not count against the formula. Same with Eddie Goldman on the other side.

Bears Signings (AAV)
Larry Ogunjobi ($13.3): 4th round

Bears who sign elsewhere
James Daniels ($8.83): 5th round
You sound like you know what you're talking about and this is helpful, Thanks

GSHSoldier

Liked Posts:
Can the Colts comp us a pick this year for nick foles?
I don’t think any team will give up much for Foles and that contract. He’s a solid back up and I’m okay if he sticks around another season. It’s better than cutting him and having nothing behind Fields unless you are shooting for a number one overall draft pick. If that’s the case then I trade Quinn for a 2nd and a 4th and take some of the money on since the bears already have so much dead cap space this season.

1st round: No picks
2nd round: 3 picks
3rd round: 1 pick
4th round: 2 picks
5th round: 2 picks
6th round: 1 pick
7th round: No picks

2023 draft 8-10 draft picks due to compensatory picks and trades

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Updated for Lucas Patrick and Jakeem Grant.