2022 Blackhawks Trades/Signings

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'm honestly not sure how much it hurts the rebuild, unless you mean that he will mess up draft spots because he's worth a few wins by himself. A true rebuild is going young which typically means lots of cheap draft picks. His salary won't be as much as before most likely, we'll see but either way it will help keep them toward the top of the cap.

More importantly though he's one of the best players in the league at making those playing with him better. And that's great news for a rebuild. On top of that you still have his name for promotion and keeping fans interested and younger kids in the door at a time when the Bulls popularity is surging again. And then lastly. You always have a piece in your back pocket, if he's willing, to offer up should that big rebuild piece ever come into play somewhere. So if he's honest about coming back, and not just using the hawks to keep other teams offers up, there is a lot of value for the Organization as a whole to make sure they do right by him.
I meant the return he would command. The Hawks don't have a lot of pieces to bring in much-needed high draft-picks and top-end prospects, other than Hagel, Fleury, and Kane -- and Kane would bring in a shit-ton for a rebuild, so keeping him does hurt a rebuilding effort in that respect. But again, I'm okay with that overall.

Yes, if there's any guy you'd want around a rebuild, it's Kane. You always need at least some vets, even on a rebuild. I don't expect his salary to be an issue; at least, I hope it isn't. Maybe I'm a cynical bastard, but it's always flowers and roses before the actual contract is signed. Like I said, anything can happen between now and when he signs. Hopefully both sides can come to a fair yet affordable compromise. The only way I would be upset is if he re-signs for like 6 or 7 million for like 3 years or something.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think the guy who puts butts in the seats is going to take a pay-cut. more like 12,000,000

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Word today is Kane and Toews both are not being shopped, and unless they ask to be moved they're staying put. Also Hagel allegedly not being shopped. Fleury, DeHaan, Strome among those being shopped. Allegedly.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hopefully both sides can come to a fair yet affordable compromise. The only way I would be upset is if he re-signs for like 6 or 7 million for like 3 years or something.
This is where it will get real, but I doubt he takes anything less than what you've stated....I'd prefer to give him term rather than a lot of money per year.

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
This is where it will get real, but I doubt he takes anything less than what you've stated....I'd prefer to give him term rather than a lot of money per year.
I think the Blackhawks will have an extension for Kane this summer. It will most likely be over 7Mil per season based on his production.

If they don't extend him they will need to trade him by, and probably before the 2023 trade deadline. They should trade him ASAP if there is no agreement because it would be terrible if he got hurt or if his production falls below the magical point per game +. That would be a huge difference in picks and prospects that they could get for him.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Word today is Kane and Toews both are not being shopped, and unless they ask to be moved they're staying put. Also Hagel allegedly not being shopped. Fleury, DeHaan, Strome among those being shopped. Allegedly.
Can we package CDH and Strome for a deep dish pizza?

Granada

Liked Posts:
I don't think the guy who puts butts in the seats is going to take a pay-cut. more like 12,000,000
If he only wants a one-year, then maybe. But I doubt he wants that.

If he doesn't take a pay cut, then the Hawks walk. Normally I'd agree that expecting players to take a pay cut is naive, but a player like Kane is a bit different in that he's already maximized his earnings and then some with his current contract. He was one of the highest paid players in the league for a majority of his career. If he's looking for that -- and who knows, maybe he will be; shit always changes when negotiations start -- then he shouldn't be saying what he's saying right now.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

If he doesn't take a pay cut, then the Hawks walk. Normally I'd agree that expecting players to take a pay cut is naive, but a player like Kane is a bit different in that he's already maximized his earnings and then some with his current contract. He was one of the highest paid players in the league for a majority of his career. If he's looking for that -- and who knows, maybe he will be; shit always changes when negotiations start -- then he shouldn't be saying what he's saying right now.

Whenever someone has a particularly bad take I like to call them on it.

Would you like to bet on this? I am sure @KBIB will take your action too.

You are predicting $6,000,000 and I am predicting $12,000,000...surely there is gray area for a wager within that spread.
The reason this news was announced now is because the two sides were too far apart until the price of oil went up(Canada dollar) and it made sense for the Blackhawks with future predicted cap if its truly important to Kane to play for one franchise.

Thornton/Crosby/Kane are the 3 players with the most career assists still playing. An assist leader is great for morale, attracting free agents, and the foreign pipeline.

Its great for us, if its what he wants I pay him whatever he asks.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Whenever someone has a particularly bad take I like to call them on it.

Would you like to bet on this? I am sure @KBIB will take your action too.

You are predicting $6,000,000 and I am predicting $12,000,000...surely there is gray area for a wager within that spread.
The reason this news was announced now is because the two sides were too far apart until the price of oil went up(Canada dollar) and it made sense for the Blackhawks with future predicted cap if its truly important to Kane to play for one franchise.

Thornton/Crosby/Kane are the 3 players with the most career assists still playing. An assist leader is great for morale, attracting free agents, and the foreign pipeline.

Its great for us, if its what he wants I pay him whatever he asks.
I have no urge to bet with some random dipshit on the internet. Thanks though.

And also, I didn't "predict" he'll get 6 million. I said I'd be mad if he signed a multi-year contract in that range. Nice try though.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Kane would retire if the Hawks offered him six million. That’s not even realistic.

Do I think he’s getting 12? No. But he sure as shit isn’t taking less then what he’s making now. And considering his value to the Hawks in general, I mean, on the cusp of being their all time points leader over icons like Mikita and Hull, there’s no fucking way the Hawks offer him anything less then what he’s making.

Seth fucking Jones is making 9.5. Kane will get 11 per for however long he wants the contract to be. Long enough to break that record. He’s sticking around for this clusterfuck he sure as shit better be selfish about it.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have no urge to bet with some random dipshit on the internet. Thanks though.

And also, I didn't "predict" he'll get 6 million. I said I'd be mad if he signed a multi-year contract in that range. Nice try though.
I'll just have to settle for you looking like the ass everyone here already knows you are then. I still win. No chance he signs under 10,000,000. So I guess you'll be mad even though I spelled out the reasons why he takes years off the re-build. Maybe enough to get him one last shot near the end.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'll just have to settle for you looking like the ass everyone here already knows you are then. I still win. No chance he signs under 10,000,000. So I guess you'll be mad even though I spelled out the reasons why he takes years off the re-build. Maybe enough to get him one last shot near the end.
You should be more than familiar with the bolded, lol.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Kane would retire if the Hawks offered him six million. That’s not even realistic.

Do I think he’s getting 12? No. But he sure as shit isn’t taking less then what he’s making now. And considering his value to the Hawks in general, I mean, on the cusp of being their all time points leader over icons like Mikita and Hull, there’s no fucking way the Hawks offer him anything less then what he’s making.

Seth fucking Jones is making 9.5. Kane will get 11 per for however long he wants the contract to be. Long enough to break that record. He’s sticking around for this clusterfuck he sure as shit better be selfish about it.
This is fair enough, although I disagree that Kane will get 11 million "for as long as he wants." That's doubtful; or at the very least, it should be. If he wants anything in the 4-6 year range, he's going to have to take a discount. What that discount will be is debatable.

The comparison to Jones is a bit of a false equivalence. You're comparing a player in his prime to a player who is on the tail end of his career, perspective matters here.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I'll agree with this.

The cap is stagnant at 81.5M, and Kane is just *barely* outside of being restricted to a 35+ contract when his term is up. While his numbers are relatively stable (he's hovered around 1.20 PPG the last 3 seasons, and previously down from a peak 1.36), he is looking at the downside of his career and into the 35+ range.

Here's another telling piece of information: His P/GP has gone up since his current deal kicked in, however, his G/GP has gone down by approximately the same rate as his points have gone up. A reason for that might be the emergence of Debrincat burying his feeds more than almost anyone else could (except maybe Panarin), but Kane himself is not denting the twine as much. Since Kane's goal scoring is trending down, his ability to put up points is dependent on others denting the twine, so without playing with a guy like Debrincat or even Hagel to beat the netminder, if his salary pushes them off of the club, his numbers will go down as well.

Under the current cap he's making 12.9% of it. When he signed he was making 15.2% of it. In the stagnant cap that would be about 12.4 million at his original cap hit % when his deal kicked in. I don't see that original cap rate continuing--it would be dumb for the 'hawks unless it was a single year deal, and I think a lot of that is going to hinge on his play next season--is he at a plateau or is he in decline (decline from a massive height, but a decline nonetheless)? Sure, there's no way Toews will command remotely as much of the cap, but Jones might be immovable, Debrincat will get paid if he stays, and Hagel will get paid (less) if he stays. If Reichel is what everyone hopes at some point he'll command a decent paycheck. All of that will factor into what the 'hawks can afford to pay Kane due to his age and inevitable career trajectory.

One comparable to consider is Stan Mikita. His P/GP were relatively stable in the late 70's and then bottomed out in 1980. His G/GP also started to decline before his P/GP bottomed out. The same could very well happen to Kane any time in the following seasons. The new 'hawks brass should be aware of this. The last thing the 'hawks want is to have a massive deal on the books when the player's game disappears--like Seabrook's did.

Given that 10% of the cap is over 8M, I think anything over about 8.5M would have to be one year only. I could see 7-8.5M as being 2 or 3 years max. My $0.02.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'll agree with this.

The cap is stagnant at 81.5M, and Kane is just *barely* outside of being restricted to a 35+ contract when his term is up. While his numbers are relatively stable (he's hovered around 1.20 PPG the last 3 seasons, and previously down from a peak 1.36), he is looking at the downside of his career and into the 35+ range.

Here's another telling piece of information: His P/GP has gone up since his current deal kicked in, however, his G/GP has gone down by approximately the same rate as his points have gone up. A reason for that might be the emergence of Debrincat burying his feeds more than almost anyone else could (except maybe Panarin), but Kane himself is not denting the twine as much. Since Kane's goal scoring is trending down, his ability to put up points is dependent on others denting the twine, so without playing with a guy like Debrincat or even Hagel to beat the netminder, if his salary pushes them off of the club, his numbers will go down as well.

Under the current cap he's making 12.9% of it. When he signed he was making 15.2% of it. In the stagnant cap that would be about 12.4 million at his original cap hit % when his deal kicked in. I don't see that original cap rate continuing--it would be dumb for the 'hawks unless it was a single year deal, and I think a lot of that is going to hinge on his play next season--is he at a plateau or is he in decline (decline from a massive height, but a decline nonetheless)? Sure, there's no way Toews will command remotely as much of the cap, but Jones might be immovable, Debrincat will get paid if he stays, and Hagel will get paid (less) if he stays. If Reichel is what everyone hopes at some point he'll command a decent paycheck. All of that will factor into what the 'hawks can afford to pay Kane due to his age and inevitable career trajectory.

One comparable to consider is Stan Mikita. His P/GP were relatively stable in the late 70's and then bottomed out in 1980. His G/GP also started to decline before his P/GP bottomed out. The same could very well happen to Kane any time in the following seasons. The new 'hawks brass should be aware of this. The last thing the 'hawks want is to have a massive deal on the books when the player's game disappears--like Seabrook's did.

Given that 10% of the cap is over 8M, I think anything over about 8.5M would have to be one year only. I could see 7-8.5M as being 2 or 3 years max. My $0.02.
Exactly. Jones is immovable, and giving Kane 11-12 million for an infinity or even the next 3-4 years would essentially be giving him Debrincat's money for his next contract, which expires in 2 years. With the cap rising every year, and assuming he doesn't slow down, Debrincat will be getting a huge fucking pay-day. And assuming Hagel is retained, and also doesn't slow down, his contract will be up at the same time as Debrincat's.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Doesn't matter for shit what the team does with Kane or vice versa. We are not winning a cup with or without him prior to his retirement. If he wants to stay he will be paid, if he want to chase a Cup then we will wish him the best and remember him as the savage badass that he was.

All that matters going forward is rebuilding our roster from the bottom-up, even if done with great skill it will take at least 3 years. At the very least.

As we all saw coming (some of us much sooner than others), Stan the Lesser left us a Jerry Angelo sized void which takes at least one generation to overcome.

Edit: I truly hope #19 retires, he is a mere shadow of his former self and it's not in his best interest from a health perspective to risk another hit to the brane.

DaHawkz24

Liked Posts:
It all comes down to what the new Blackhawks management wants to do. If they don't work out a deal this summer than they need to trade him ASAP. No need to risk injury or his production dropping, and taking a hit on the picks and prospects we could get.

I am ok with however it works. I would love to see Kane break franchise records, but would be happy with a trade if Kane got to play in meaningful NHL games in the short term and the Blackhawks get pieces that help produce a contending team in a few years.