*OFFICIAL* Offseason Rumors, Signings, and Shenanigans

Rise

Liked Posts:
But I thought we signed the bulldozer?

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Everything I’ve been hearing on the radio is that the Bills really like this guy and want to pay him whatever he’s worth to keep him around and happy. So just like Pace did with Fuller, the plan is to find out his worth so Bates gets what he deserves based upon what other teams value him at.

Bills have 5 days to match, I bet it takes only 1 or 2

Rise

Liked Posts:
Everything I’ve been hearing on the radio is that the Bills really like this guy and want to pay him whatever he’s worth to keep him around and happy. So just like Pace did with Fuller, the plan is to find out his worth so Bates gets what he deserves based upon what other teams value him at.

If it’s heavily front loaded they are going to have trouble making sense of matching. Wait to see the structure. This is one of the benefits of the Bears remaining patient in free agency.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If it’s heavily front loaded they are going to have trouble making sense of matching. Wait to see the structure. This is one of the benefits of the Bears remaining patient in free agency.
I honestly don’t think it matters to the Bills. If they were worried about a team front loading a contract for Bates, than they would have done a 2nd rd tender so they could get something in return for losing him.

By not doing a 2nd rd tender, it shows they can and will do whatever it takes to keep him (aside from someone going crazy ie Kirk & the Jags) which bears aren’t doing cuz poles doesn’t over pay in FA.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:

At the same time, if they liked him enough, he wouldn't be a restricted free agent.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Depends on if they view him as a starting guard or not. 6-7 for a guard is very reasonable. Daniels got about 8 a year.
I'm sure both teams view him as a starter or else the Bears wouldn't go out of the way when there's lots of other backup options available.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Just wondering...does a RFA impact comp picks? I realize the bears likely aren't going the comp pick route this year, just curious about that.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If you have a chance to get, what is truly believed to be, a difference maker for a young QB think you make the move when necessary.

I'd rather have a difference maker than a couple more role players. The team lacks star ability on offense. You can find role players in free agency.
I see what you're saying but luckily for us this draft is deep at many of our positions of biggest need with WR, OL, DL and DB so i think we can get difference makers at 39, 48 and 71.

Would be nice to have C.Olave in a Bears uni though.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
At the same time, if they liked him enough, he wouldn't be a restricted free agent.
Nope, not true. Bears did the same thing with Fuller just to make sure both parties knew he was getting the money he’s worth. Bears matched GBs huge offer the same day if I remember correctly.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I honestly don’t think it matters to the Bills. If they were worried about a team front loading a contract for Bates, than they would have done a 2nd rd tender so they could get something in return for losing him.

By not doing a 2nd rd tender, it shows they can and will do whatever it takes to keep him (aside from someone going crazy ie Kirk & the Jags) which bears aren’t doing cuz poles doesn’t over pay in FA.

They didn't do a 2nd round tender because they didn't want to commit 4 million to the guy. Dont see them changing their tune now

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just wondering...does a RFA impact comp picks? I realize the bears likely aren't going the comp pick route this year, just curious about that.

It doesn’t matter. They clearly aren’t getting any with the route Poles has decided to go.