Hossa To Officially Retire As A Blackhawk

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
#81 is in the rafters now.
After maybe the most pathetic Hawks performance I’ve ever seen.

Sure we had 24 shots supposedly, I’d say only 3 or 4 had a prayer.

Seth Jones and Reichel were the only skaters I saw who gave any energy to this one. Kane feigned frustrated disinterest once or twice too.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I'd have to think 2, 19, and 88 are as good as retired then.
Same. If Hoss is good enough, they certainly are as well. So from the Cup era, it's those four definitely. 50, 10, and 4 don't make it. The question is, does Seabs? Granted, the last few years were not great for him, but still.

A friend of mine said that they might co-retire (for lack of a better word) 7 with Seabs and Chelios. I sincerely hope that isn't the case and that the org would have more respect for Seabs than that, but you never know.

Anyways, well deserved for Hossa.

JimAKABlkhwks918

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Same. If Hoss is good enough, they certainly are as well. So from the Cup era, it's those four definitely. 50, 10, and 4 don't make it. The question is, does Seabs? Granted, the last few years were not great for him, but still.

A friend of mine said that they might co-retire (for lack of a better word) 7 with Seabs and Chelios. I sincerely hope that isn't the case and that the org would have more respect for Seabs than that, but you never know.

Anyways, well deserved for Hossa.
Agree that 10, 50, and 4 don't make it.

Unfortunately, I've heard the speculation that 7 may be retired for Seabrook and Chelios. I don't know what the fascination by the Hawks with Chelios is, I don't think he did near enough while here to merit a jersey retirement, and is at best a polarizing figure among Hawks fans. Magnusson may not have been worthy of jersey retirement by the stats, but he's generally beloved as guy. Chelios is probably 50/50 love hate.

Granada

Liked Posts:

Unfortunately, I've heard the speculation that 7 may be retired for Seabrook and Chelios. I don't know what the fascination by the Hawks with Chelios is, I don't think he did near enough while here to merit a jersey retirement, and is at best a polarizing figure among Hawks fans. Magnusson may not have been worthy of jersey retirement by the stats, but he's generally beloved as guy. Chelios is probably 50/50 love hate.
That's just it: Chelios did shit here. If you're going to retire him, why not retire Roenick. Or Belfour. I really don't get it either. Maybe if the guy wasn't a complete fucker after he left, I'd think differently.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I love when people decide to challenge my opinion and then just kinda think out loud the rest of the post.
I offered a counter viewpoint..........God forbid I challenge YOUR opinion.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Twenty five goals allowed in twelve SCF games is the stuff of legends,especially holding an insanely hot Tampa team to ten goals in six games after they abused Price and Lundqvist.
I guess no Vezina's and only two AS games will mean no HoF for the great goaltender and no number retirement will be a continuation of the Org's view of Crawford IMO.

52 wins 2.38GAA .918SV% for his PO career. Two SCF clinchers faced,two SCF clinchers won,two goals allowed..........combined!

Maybe a new FO will do a CC night,that's if he has any intertest after the 'don't let the door hit ya' ending here.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I offered a counter viewpoint..........God forbid I challenge YOUR opinion.

My apologies, please feel free to write me more posts about my opinion and how you hate it.

My opinion of things is bound to change based on your perception of things.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My apologies, please feel free to write me more posts about my opinion and how you hate it.

My opinion of things is bound to change based on your perception of things.
I only offered a counter viewpoint my friend........I'll be more cautious doing so in the future.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:

Kind of think he won two Norris trophies as a Hawk.

Chelios is a legend, like it or not.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Kind of think he won two Norris trophies as a Hawk.

Chelios is a legend, like it or not.
Yeah, you have a point there. I think that if 7 goes it's gotta be a joint for Seabs/Cheli. I can stomach that.

I agree that I don't think 50 goes up--even though I think Crawford was vastly underrated. I think he and Hjammer don't go up but everyone who experienced the early 2010's knows those guys were the trench guys who got the fucking job done without any glitz or glamor. 2, 19, and 88 definitely.

Hot take: they save 27 for a joint retirement of Reichel and Roenick. ?

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Yeah, you have a point there. I think that if 7 goes it's gotta be a joint for Seabs/Cheli. I can stomach that.

I agree that I don't think 50 goes up--even though I think Crawford was vastly underrated. I think he and Hjammer don't go up but everyone who experienced the early 2010's knows those guys were the trench guys who got the fucking job done without any glitz or glamor. 2, 19, and 88 definitely.

Hot take: they save 27 for a joint retirement of Reichel and Roenick. ?
I think people forget the Hawks had Chelios in his prime and that he was averaging over 25 minutes a game back in the day during the Keenan years where the Hawks were a one line and one defensive pairing team.

It wasn’t his fault they didn’t win Cups.

But, I do miss the days where the Hawks were icing around eight players willing to drop the gloves on a moments notice and defenseman who did whatever it took to clear the front of the net.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I think people forget the Hawks had Chelios in his prime and that he was averaging over 25 minutes a game back in the day during the Keenan years where the Hawks were a one line and one defensive pairing team.

But, I do miss the days where the Hawks were icing around eight players willing to drop the gloves on a moments notice and defenseman who did whatever it took to clear the front of the net.
It wasn't his fault alone, but it's the truth. You have a fair point about the 2 Norris'. But no Cups is no Cups. Granted, Magnusson and Savard didn't win Cups either, but Savard is like top 10 (if not top 5) in almost every franchise category. Chelios is top 10 in like 3, not including PIM.

Magnuson of course had even less accolades, but his number was co-retired with a Cup champion (Pilote) and was retired after his death. All the other retired numbers either won a Cup and/or were franchise legends statistically like Savard. Even with the Norris', Chelios can not be retired on his own without Seabrook, plain and simple.

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I soured on the guy after he left but he was an excellent D-man and tougher than a $2 steak!

KBIB

Liked Posts:
It wasn't his fault alone, but it's the truth. You have a fair point about the 2 Norris'. But no Cups is no Cups. Granted, Magnusson and Savard didn't win Cups either, but Savard is like top 10 (if not top 5) in almost every franchise category. Chelios is top 10 in like 3, not including PIM.

Magnuson of course had even less accolades, but his number was co-retired with a Cup champion (Pilote) and was retired after his death. All the other retired numbers either won a Cup and/or were franchise legends statistically like Savard. Even with the Norris', Chelios can not be retired on his own without Seabrook, plain and simple.
Lol wat?

Chelios is an all time great. Sorry. Same as Savard.

If you have a guy winning Norris trophies when Ray friggin Bourque was playing the Hawks had arguably the second best defenseman in the game in his prime wearing the sweater.

I also have no issue with Chelios and Seabs sharing the 7 either and was a defender of Seabrook the minute his play fell off a cliff on account of what he did in his prime. Chelios deserves his number retired just as much as Seabs.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I soured on the guy after he left but he was an excellent D-man and tougher than a $2 steak!
I soured on him after that drunk driving video.

I’m not a fan of the guy one bit but he deserves his number retired. He was so damn good on the Hawks I think a lot of people don’t understand how easy the game was for him and the level he played on compared to everyone else.

Granada

Liked Posts:
Lol wat?

Chelios is an all time great. Sorry. Same as Savard.

If you have a guy winning Norris trophies when Ray friggin Bourque was playing the Hawks had arguably the second best defenseman in the game in his prime wearing the sweater.

I also have no issue with Chelios and Seabs sharing the 7 either and was a defender of Seabrook the minute his play fell off a cliff on account of what he did in his prime. Chelios deserves his number retired just as much as Seabs.
Lol, yah. Way to not address literally any of the points in my previous post.

The question isn't whether or not Chelios is an all-time great. The question is, whether or not the Blackhawks specifically should retire his number and/or whether or not he could be retired based on his own merit as a Blackhawk -- not on the merit of his career overall. Two Norris trophies is impressive. Is it enough without the Cups and barely cracking the top 10 in franchise categories? I'd say no. Chelios is an all-time great defenseman, but his biggest accolades were earned with other organizations (Montreal: 1 Norris, 1 Cup; Detroit: 2 Cups). Seabrook's contributions did more for this organization than Chelios' individual accomplishments; he shouldn't have to share the number with that shit-stain, who wouldn't even be in the conversation as being retired by the Blackhawks without the former.

Granada

Liked Posts:
I soured on him after that drunk driving video.

I’m not a fan of the guy one bit but he deserves his number retired. He was so damn good on the Hawks I think a lot of people don’t understand how easy the game was for him and the level he played on compared to everyone else.

This didn't do it for you? It was pretty much a big "Fuck You" to the entire organization and city, one of his many by the way.