Velus Jones Jr

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
With COVID tons college players were playing many years, even in basketball too. The picks growing on me. I love the first two picks on paper alone. thought they should of went skyy Moore over brisker but all the people grading the draft love the bears 2nd round picks and only hate on it if they think they should of went need over BPA. That secondary is going to be lights out. you got a rising star in Jaylon Johnson to pair up with Kyler Gordon who can start on day 1 with arguably a top 5 nickel CB in tavon young. Plus, Eddie Jackson and Brisker who is also a plug and play starter from day one. That’s lights out compared to the vildor and duke shelley days

brisker is gonna be mike brown on steroids, also a 2nd round pick
Mike Brown on steroids???? Let's pump the breaks. When he wins back to back games with walk of TDs we'll revisit this.

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
Reach according to every NFL draft website.

Freak athlete that gets more YAC than anyone are some positives. Route running is the problem. A great test for Getsy and Tolbert. Lots of traits to work with.

So far - the biggest disappointment is that there was no Robert Quinn trade. Personally, I think that was a big mistake. Also, drafting all defensive players in the 2nd round and not drafting an OL has me the most concerned. Who is the starting RG?

As much as I wanted the Bears to add a WR in round 2, I was also perfectly fine with Poles waiting for 2023 when the Bears will likely have a ton 10 pick.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me, he doesn't look nearly as fast as he timed. Watching his highlight reel, I don't see a lot of wiggle either.
Really? I thought the difference in his speed was obvious. He had a gear no one else on the field could match. When he split defenders, he was just gone. I thought he showed some wiggle, but his YAC was more the product of contact balance and shedding tackles. Plenty of tape of guys just falling off him as he explodes past.

GSHSoldier

Liked Posts:
Mike Brown on steroids???? Let's pump the breaks. When he wins back to back games with walk of TDs we'll revisit this.
it was always nice to pla

Freak athlete that gets more YAC than anyone are some positives. Route running is the problem. A great test for Getsy and Tolbert. Lots of traits to work with.

So far - the biggest disappointment is that there was no Robert Quinn trade. Personally, I think that was a big mistake. Also, drafting all defensive players in the 2nd round and not drafting an OL has me the most concerned. Who is the starting RG?

As much as I wanted the Bears to add a WR in round 2, I was also perfectly fine with Poles waiting for 2023 when the Bears will likely have a ton 10 pick.

Now, I played some back yard football tackling kids into oak trees growing up. I’ll tell you what, bet Fields can wing it off of broken plays to this guy down the field. 2nd fastest WR in the draft from the SEC with USC bloodlines, yeah I’ll take him. Sec usc that’s two c’s just how I love my girls thicc this dude can flat out fly ?

GSHSoldier

Liked Posts:

Just like every nfl draft had malik Willis going round 1 yeah okay!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Not that it matters but it’s a little weird having Chris Simms say something nice about the Bears.
My concern is his record of draft opinion wins and losses. The real one, not the one he claims.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Justin is one of the best QB's throwing downfield in the nfl....

So they draft a guy who's great at screens?

I guess we are turning into the fucking packers.

Fields whole development rests on getting the ball out quick and picking his spots to attack downfield so they got him a guy that can catch quick routes and turn them into big gains as well as going vertical with 4.3 speed. Makes perfect sense even if you dont like they chose Jones.

Part of getting Fields to buy into taking what the D gives him is seeing success when those 5 yard passes turn into 15 yard gains because of YAC.

Last edited:

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
ESPN take....not so good

Round 3, No. 71 overall: Velus Jones Jr., WR, Tennessee​

My take: The Bears were looking for speed and they found it in Jones, who ran a 4.31-second 40-yard dash. They also addressed a need on special teams by nabbing arguably the best returner in college football, who averaged 132.5 all purpose-yards per game in 2021. How Jones projects as a wide receiver in the NFL is a bit of an unknown considering his modest offensive production throughout a college career that began in 2016 at USC and culminated in him catching 62 passes for 807 yards and seven touchdowns at Tennessee. The Bears passed up on a handful of more proven receivers, including Jalen Tolbert, Calvin Austin III and David Bell. Chicago isn’t concerned about Jones being a 25-year-old rookie and is fond of his run-after-the-catch ability. Now they’ll have to figure out how he’ll be utilized as a weapon for quarterback Justin Fields.

What’s next: The Bears did not trade back on Friday, so they enter Day 3 without a fourth-round pick. They’ll have to wait until No. 148 in the fifth round to start drafting again and still haven’t selected an offensive lineman. That’s not ideal for Fields’ development considering pass protection remains an area of concern. The O-linemen available to the Bears where they’re currently drafting are expected to be developmental prospects as rookies, so the help for Fields up front may have to come elsewhere this offseason.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Watching his highlights, it's obvious that he never looks like he is running that fast, you see defenders getting caught off guard by how fast he is actually going and it makes them miss their angles.
But what i also noticed on a couple of his routes he just blew by defenders because he is really good at altering his speed but without giving anything away. He starts off running tentatively like he is about to break and turns it on full blast to a go route but his running motion is the same and he fools and just flies by the defender. I am no scout I don't have a great way to explain what I am seeing but i do have a good feel for peoples mechanics and this is what it looks like to me.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If this staff is smart you basically give Jones some basic deep routes and then some underneath routes that look like deep routes. Teams will have to respect his deep speed and Fields deep accuracy and the cushion they give means Jones can then catch passes underneath with space to use that YAC ability