If you have to go defense, Why CB and S?

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Poles wants defense first and feels he can put off helping fields for a year, so be it.

But CB and S doesnt seem to be a great way to start.

The Bears were 28th in hurry percentage, 25th in QB hits.
They are arguabley worse and certainly no better in the front 7.

I have a hard time seeing the logic of going CB and S when teams can pick you apart over the middle.

If we were dealing with a bears team that can score from anywhere, anytime on offense like any of the teams in the AFC playoffs, I could dig the picks. It would take advantage of teams forced to throw.

But as it stands, Teams have been grinding the clock, playing safe, and taking shots only when they are open.

I was open to a defense heavy draft... not my first choice, but whatever.
But building a hideous defense back to front just seems ridiculous.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The secondary was terrible last year. I remember one game they gave up 10 big plays (20 yards plus).

Kyler is a borderline first round talent wise, i wasn’t too surprised with cb but was with safety. He seems like a heavy hitter though, something that the bears have lacked since the days of Mike brown. What I’ve read about both, these are A+ picks but I wanted offense line or defensive line too.

Hate the 3rd pick. Hate it.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Because edge rushers as talented as Jaquan Brisker go like tenth overall. Safeties aren't highly valued these days, the Legion of Boom trend has long receded. Kyler Gordon simply slipped a little further than he probably should have, which happens every draft to a few players, and the Bears pounced.

Obviously everyone has their own opinions when it comes to the draft but the Bears very clearly went pure best player available. They didn't put any premium on any one position.

And if both these guys hit and Eddie Jackson bounces back the Bears will have an extremely formidable secondary locked up for bargain basement rates for at least the next two years.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Most likely because you (the OP) could have converted a 3rd and 15 on last year’s 2nd corner and nickel and that’s without me having your scouting report. Plus, there was atrocious tackling back there. Gordon and Brisker make the secondary considerably better. Now you have JJ, Gordon with Brisker and Jackson. All four guys can cover and three of them can tackle. Graham should be the first backup outside and Tavon Young will be the slot corner.

DHC is the third safety and Vildor drops to the 4th corner.

Last edited:

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Remember how it didn't matter how good our pass rush was? The only guy that could cover long enough for a sack to happen was JJ.

At least now we have hope that a QB will have to hold the ball long enough for a sack to get there.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Most likely because you could have converted a 3rd and 15 on last year’s 2nd corner and nickel and that’s without me having your scouting report. Plus, there was atrocious tackling back there. Gordon and Brisker make the secondary considerably better. Now you have JJ, Gordon with Brisker and Jackson. All four guys can cover and three of them can tackle. Graham should be the first backup outside and Tavon Young will be the slot corner.

Into a crater never to be seen on the field again

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
DT after the 1st round is a wasteland this year. Winfrey, Mathis were not great at pass rushing and the other DT's are poor scheme fits. The DE/Edge rushers were probably passed on since its Quinn/Gipson/Muhammad already on the depth chart. I'd prefer if he just traded Quinn and drafted a DE though. He could have taken a LB instead of a S though

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If Poles wants defense first and feels he can put off helping fields for a year, so be it.

I have a hard time seeing the logic of going CB and S when teams can pick you apart over the middle.

If we were dealing with a bears team that can score from anywhere, anytime on offense like any of the teams in the AFC playoffs, I could dig the picks. It would take advantage of teams forced to throw.

But as it stands, Teams have been grinding the clock, playing safe, and taking shots only when they are open.

Have you seen Kindle Vildor play?

bears51/40

Liked Posts:

Last year was a whole different system. Bears are going back to a 4-3 base after being in a 3-4 since 2015.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Most likely because you (the OP) could have converted a 3rd and 15 on last year’s 2nd corner and nickel and that’s without me having your scouting report. Plus, there was atrocious tackling back there. Gordon and Brisker make the secondary considerably better. Now you have JJ, Gordon with Brisker and Jackson. All four guys can cover and three of them can tackle. Graham should be the first backup outside and Tavon Young will be the slot corner.

Cruikshank is probably the 3rd safety

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Think Cruikshank will be #3 S mostly.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The secondary was terrible last year. I remember one game they gave up 10 big plays (20 yards plus).

Kyler is a borderline first round talent wise, i wasn’t too surprised with cb but was with safety. He seems like a heavy hitter though, something that the bears have lacked since the days of Mike brown. What I’ve read about both, these are A+ picks but I wanted offense line or defensive line too.

Hate the 3rd pick. Hate it.
I have to believe the Bear's scouts saw something in that third pick more than just speed and age. I know Poles talked about team speed being priority #1.

Time will tell. Duh.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Because edge rushers as talented as Jaquan Brisker go like tenth overall. Safeties aren't highly valued these days, the Legion of Boom trend has long receded. Kyler Gordon simply slipped a little further than he probably should have, which happens every draft to a few players, and the Bears pounced.

Obviously everyone has their own opinions when it comes to the draft but the Bears very clearly went pure best player available. They didn't put any premium on any one position.

And if both these guys hit and Eddie Jackson bounces back the Bears will have an extremely formidable secondary locked up for bargain basement rates for at least the next two years.

That will also make things easier for the pass rush. If Rogers can't find an open man, that's more time for Quinn, Gipson, et al, to get to him.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Because those were the players ranked highest on the Bears board. Simple as that…

Poles was not drafting for just this next year. That’s foolish Fan thinking. He’s drafting tor the long term…
So by your BPA rationale, Velus Jones is the highest rated player where the Bears picked in round 3?