Cubs Farm System And Prospects Discussion Thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It would change the concept of a Ace. Basically the top billed starter would pitch on the highest volume days. Sat most likely. Then the #2 would pitch on the 2nd highest viewership day.

It would be justification for their paycheck as they would match up vs another teams best every week with the highest viewership.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Better day today

Davis got his first hit. A HR.
Kilian 2.2 IP 2 H 1 BB 6 K 0 ER
Hertz started in SB. 3 IP 1 BB 5K 0 ER

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Uelmen 0 walks and 8 SO over 3.1 IP. That is someone to watch for impacting the pen.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Wicks pitched his first game. 3.2 IP. O runs 3 h. 1 BB 5 K. Good first day.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Cubs pick #7. Word is the top ten could go any way so I would guess a good time to have a top 10.

My opinion is college guy. Jed has stacked up on longer to majors types. He needs more polished types.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kilian up to 72 pitches.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Pete Crow-Armstrong, in his first 15 games, is hitting .373/.479/.610. He’s got 12 RBI’s, 7 stolen bases, and 9 walks to 9 strikeouts. Dating back to 2021, his combined slash line is .386/.505/.578 (103 PA’s).

This is actually the first time I've seen him. I was not expecting what I'm seeing here. I assumed he was one of those guys who lived off high choppers....beating them out then stealing a base....a typical old school lead off man. This guy's got a pretty quick bat and can turn on a ball. All the bitching we heard when the Cubs purged and now here's another guy to look forward to along with Davis, Kilian and Hernandez.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is actually the first time I've seen him. I was not expecting what I'm seeing here. I assumed he was one of those guys who lived off high choppers....beating them out then stealing a base....a typical old school lead off man. This guy's got a pretty quick bat and can turn on a ball. All the bitching we heard when the Cubs purged and now here's another guy to look forward to along with Davis, Kilian and Hernandez.
His injury was what made doubt but Mets fans were pissed the Mets traded him. He is a 5 tool player all day and comes from great hs pedigree. He was a great get. He is also considered a top defender in the minors

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Crow-Armstrong said that he is still not feeling like himself post injury. Others with it have told him it takes about a year to completely heal. So this is pretty impressive to say the least. I do agree that this is a hot streak and we really need to see 300 PA's before judging the guy outside of being a GG level CF. We had that in Almora and it was hype on a higher pick.

Regardless good for him and I hope that he gets pushed up to South Bend sooner than later.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
DJ is another who should get a promote. A+ is hitting .133 off him while he has held down offenses to a 1.29 ERA and a .79 WHIP.

A ball is simply not a challenge for him and he should be testing his mettle against higher competition.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Canario just hit his 7th home run for South Bend (4 in the past 4 days) . .289/.366/.614
Crow-Armstrong is still playing at M.B. but he is up to .389 now.
Velaquez up to 9 HR's. .278/.374/.696
Davis is still scuffling vs AAA pitching. .195/.286/.299

A bit of the reason of why not to get too wrapped up. AAA has pitchers that have played on Major league teams. So the talent gap between AA->AAA is based off of experience vs talent.

So this is the reason to not get too jazzed up on AA or lower players. The guy to watch is Kilian right now. He is pitching at a high level against the most proven minor league hitters. But even then Gsellman has been more impressive and he was a cast off. So grain of salt it all until they sit on Wrigley pine.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
ST. PAUL, MN – The Iowa Cubs (14-15) will leave St. Paul with a series split after defeating the Saints (15-13) by a final score of 10-3 in Sunday’s finale at CHS Field.

Both starters had a relatively smooth first inning of work, both stranding one baserunner and finishing a scoreless frame, before things started to turn the I-Cubs’ way in the second. Nelson Velazquez led off the inning with a walk, then the team followed with six straight hits - including Robel Garcia’s first triple of the season - to score four runs and take the lead.

Saints’ starter Cole Sands got things back under control for the third, but the I-Cubs’ offense picked right back up off reliever Drew Strotman. They scored two runs on a pair of hits in the fourth, then added one run on two more hits in the fifth. Already up 7-0, Jared Young added even more insurance for Iowa with his eighth home run of the year to lead off the sixth. The I-Cubs then combined two walks and a single to load the bases before taking their third bases-loaded walk of the series to make the lead 9-0.

On the other side of things, Iowa starter Caleb Kilian kept the Saints from striking back. In his sixth start of the year, Kilian pitched five complete innings and did not allow a run. He gave up four hits, but never more than one in an inning, and came just one shy of his season high with five strikeouts.

Iowa’s bullpen took over in the sixth, starting with lefty Brendon Little, who pitched a scoreless inning in his 2022 debut. The Saints finally broke the shutout in the seventh, however, scoring a pair on a walk and two doubles off of Luke Farrell, who also made his season debut today. They added one more on a solo home run from David Banuelos in the ninth, but that’s all they would get, and the I-Cubs put away the series finale by a final score of 10-3.

POSTGAME NOTES:

• Caleb Kilian picked up his first win of the season. He is now 1-0 with a 1.46 ERA over his first six starts at Triple-A.
  • Nelson Maldonado broke a season-high seven-game hitting streak with an 0-for-5 performance today. He was the only I-Cub starter that did not reach base.
  • Three Iowa hitters recorded three-hit games today in Jared Young, Ildemaro Vargas, and Tyler Payne. It was Payne’s first multi-hit game for Iowa this year and Young’s fourth multi-hit game of the series.
  • P.J. Higgins’ five-hit afternoon was good for the most hits by an Iowa player in a game this season, while the team’s 17 total hits also set a season high.
Iowa will take tomorrow off before returning to Principal Park on Tuesday for the first of 12 straight games at home. They’ll start the homestand with a series against Omaha, with Tuesday’s first pitch set for 6:38pm. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Kilian is pretty much doing what you want right now. He has taken over as the ace of Iowa. I'm pretty sure it is a starting the clock on a shit team thing right now. He would be good enough to give the ball to every 5th day until his innings limit on the major league team. There is little pressure to compete on the major league team and a good opportunity for him to adjust to major league talent.

The only reason to hold him back is a clock one.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Nelson Velazquez #22​

Iowa Cubs
Triple-A Affiliate
  • CF
  • B/T: R/R
  • 6' 0"/190

So he moved up. Canario also move up to Tenn to take his spot. So this is a potential big deal pending. He is raking still. Iowa didn't seem like a step back and he could push MLB this year. Davis is out (Back) So Velazquez could push him for a roster opportunity. Davis was struggling this year .195/.286/.299.

Today Kilian went 4 innings. Kept his ERA under 2. Velazquez kept his line at .318/.423/.500 at Iowa. (Reason why both could come up and impact right away). DJ Hertz is the 3rd guy that could get a AA bump. .93 ERA Hitters are hitting .141 against him. He needs a new challenge. This year he gained mastery over his change up and he is abusing hitters. In perspective Kilian is holding hitters to .215. That is impressive but Hertz is toying with A+ talent.