Rate Ryan Poles Draft

rayer kay

Liked Posts:
The secondary killed the team last year? Really, because the team that I hwatched last year, The Chicago Bears, were killed by the offense.

Fact:
When the bears scored more then 19 points they were 7-3 in 2020 and 6-4 in 2021.
When the bears score less then 20 points they are 1-6 in 2020 and 1-8 in 2021

League average is 23 points per game. So, if they could just be average they will win a lot more games with the current D.

Last season they averaged 16.3 points a game and they gave up 21.4
Is it logical to say lets improve the secondary and only give up 19.8 ppg and then we will only lose by a 3.5 ppg??? NO
It is logical to close the gap! they need to score more points!

Its almost like half this board doesn't actually watch the games!
And how is a 2nd round WR and OL, who might be more of a question mark than Jenkins, going to change that dramatically? You are so sure those WR and OLs still available are going to account for an extra 7 to 14 points as rookies? This draft was not about winning suoer bowl next year, it is about competing the best you can and building a team 2 to 3 years from now that can go for a SB run. The staff obviously felt the WR and OL still available were not as promising as you and others think they are. People seem to forget we did not have a 1st round pick. So maybe the remaining WR or OL had more question marks than you are aware of and were not as good as the avialble DB which are also positions of need. And addressing those WR and OL with an eye on 2 to 3 years from now is better served in later rounds or next year with a 1st round pick and a boatload of cap space.

Last edited:

Nelly

Liked Posts:
80-90% of a teams draft grade has to be comprised of the first three rounds. After that, pretty much everybody is just throwing shit against the wall hoping something sticks.

You can look at the first two picks, and make an argument that they are good players, in positions of need, that is fine.
That third round pick is one major "WTF".

But with what should have been the major objective of this draft, support and build around Justin Fields, to step back and say " mission accomplished" is blind ignorance.

After surrendering two first round picks for Fields (one eventually a top 10 pick), Poles seems to be hard set of insuring he fails, and fails massively.
All mental masturbation. Draft grades are the biggest crock of shit. No one knows how any of the players picked will turn out yet and that's all that matters.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
C-

Not a fan of Jones, but I find it hard to believe they couldn’t trade back to 4th and still get him, while getting a couple of extra picks in the process.
You know who is a fan of Jones? Justin Fields.

It takes two to tango (trade) so there might not have been a dance partner. And in a world where WanDale Robinson goes mid 2nd round over"legit #1 receiver Pickens", you have no idea what the NFL really thought about Velus Jones Jr.

Last edited:

Visionman

Liked Posts:
The secondary killed the team last year? Really, because the team that I watched last year, The Chicago Bears, were killed by the offense.

Fact:
When the bears scored more then 19 points they were 7-3 in 2020 and 6-4 in 2021.
When the bears score less then 20 points they are 1-6 in 2020 and 1-8 in 2021

League average is 23 points per game. So, if they could just be average they will win a lot more games with the current D.

Last season they averaged 16.3 points a game and they gave up 21.4
Is it logical to say lets improve the secondary and only give up 19.8 ppg and then we will only lose by a 3.5 ppg??? NO
It is logical to close the gap! they need to score more points!

Its almost like half this board doesn't actually watch the games!

It’s almost like you think Nagy is still here running the offense…

• Harold
Reactions: Myk

Visionman

Liked Posts:
You seem to be a WOKE person, so please enlighten me why didn't you want him? what did he say or do that made him undraftable? Do you agree on his talent level he was a 1st rounder?
I never said I didn’t want him. 32 NFL teams did until close to the end of day 2, when only ONE decided to take a chance on him. He fell for a reason, no matter how you try to convince yourself otherwise.

And Poles has said one of the biggest factors in bringing in players was their character. Pitt has had issues with those types of players in the past, yet still decides to take risks on them. Fine. 31 other teams said no thanks.

• Harold
Reactions: Myk

macbear67

Liked Posts:
I'll give the draft a B+. Love the secondary picks. My hope is with Getsy we will finally have an offensive staff that can develop talent. Nagy was absolutely horrible at this. I personally believe he would rather had a whole team of free agents since no rookie every got better under his regime. In this draft, we got a bunch of young explosive offensive lineman. Maybe along with the new center, Jenkins and Borum we can develop a good young offensive line. The Tennessee wide receiver is an example of a staff drafting one of their guys over drafting what the mocks say. Belichick does it all the time and nobody ever blinks. In conclusion, I really believe that Poles thinks he was handed a really bad team and it will take a few years to get it where it needs to be. This draft was a good start.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
day 3 helped, but a D seems about right, clearly the worst draft among the division rivals on paper at least

You don't rate a draft based on how other division opponents drafted. Each team had very different situations we were in and obviosuly Poles and the Bears were in the worst situation. Poles did a good job, not a great job, but a good job

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
C+

When almost every position is a position of need going BPA isn't rocket science.

+ The secondary is pretty much fixed when it was appallingly, horrifyingly bad last year.
+ There's enough talent/depth at OL now to take it off life support and stabilize it. By this time next year it can be a real NFL OL rather than a constant worry.
+ Bears needed a punter and got one without wasting a valuable pick

-The Jones pick would make Poles look like a genius in the 6th or even the 5th but an idiot in the 3rd.
-It's not Poles' fault but there are still glaring weaknesses at DL and WR.

To get an A he would have had to have a magical off season including FA. This is still a C football team but it did get better.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
NFL Draft Team Grade: C Grade

Goals Entering the 2022 NFL Draft: The Bears don't have a first-round pick because of the Justin Fields trade last April. They must now build around Fields, and it's safe to say that they have their work cut out for them; they have huge needs at receiver and on the offensive line.

2022 NFL Draft Accomplishments: When I was writing my individual draft grades, I wrote that the Bears were setting up Justin Fields for failure when they spent their two second-round picks on defensive backs. Chicago obtained a couple of quality players in Kyler Gordon and Jaquan Brisker, but Fields was given no help. Adding receivers and offensive linemen would've been the better course of action.

Chicago eventually got around to bolstering Fields' supporting cast, but in the end, the front office drafted just one receiver. I like Velus Jones as a deep threat, but he should have been the second receiver the Bears chose in the 2022 NFL Draft. There were plenty of talented wideouts in the second frame, yet Chicago passed on all of them. As for the offensive line, the Bears spent four third-day choices on blockers. I liked some of the picks, particularly Braxton Jones, but as with the receivers, this area should have been addressed earlier with players who have a higher rate of expected success.

The Bears need Fields to thrive in order for everyone to keep their jobs. Thus, I really don't understand why they failed to acquire help for him. It's not like the receiver and offensive line prospects in this class were pedestrian. Chicago had plenty of viable options to choose from, yet passed on so many appealing choices.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Chicago Bears​

The jury should be out for a while on QB Justin Fields, whose arrival in 2021 also came at the expense of this year's first-rounder. But you would've thought rookie GM Ryan Poles would have done more to find players in this draft – specifically weapons and blockers – to accelerate Fields' development. Nope. Make no mistake, second-round DBs Kyler Gordon and Jaquan Brisker are really good players ... but you wonder if that defense will be on the field a lot in 2022 considering the way things have gone for Fields. Grade: C-

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

20. Chicago Bears​

Grade: Kyler Gordon (CB, Washington), Jaquan Brisker (S, Penn State), Velus Jones Jr. (WR, Tennessee)

Key Picks: C

Analysis: Think the Bears identified a weakness? After trading away what would’ve been No. 7 overall to get QB Justin Fields last season, they used their first two picks in the secondary. Jones boosts the return game, but what else does he provide?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
And how is a 2nd round WR and OL, who might be more of a question mark than Jenkins, going to change that dramatically? You are so sure those WR and OLs still available are going to account for an extra 7 to 14 points as rookies? This draft was not about winning suoer bowl next year, it is about competing the best you can and building a team 2 to 3 years from now that can go for a SB run. The staff obviously felt the WR and OL still available were not as promising as you and others think they are. People seem to forget we did not have a 1st round pick. So maybe the remaining WR or OL had more question marks than you are aware of and were not as good as the avialble DB which are also positions of need. And addressing those WR and OL with an eye on 2 to 3 years from now is better served in later rounds or next year with a 1st round pick and a boatload of cap space.

How are a CB and S going to score 7-14 points as rookies? That's your requirement so fill it. I mean I like CB/S because they're most likely to get picks but 2 pick 6s every game? If they do that I'll eat crow and say they should've been BPA in the top 10.

Oline doesn't score, oline keeps your 2nd QB from getting his head beat in, it gives him time to process the game. This draft means that's not ever happening for Fields in Chicago.
You seem to forget this fanbase doesn't like 1st or 2nd round WRs at all. In spite of Jeffery we love to focus on White. While I wouldn't call your calls for a 2nd round WR a complete strawman it's definitely not what most expected in the 2nd. The WR problem is in the 3rd, a 5th round returner drafted as a WR to save the team without protection for the QB while this WR with bad hands and no routes figures it out.

Skull

Liked Posts:

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leave it to Bears fans to convince themselves that this draft was actually decent, when the national consensus is that is was highly suspect.

Homers going to homer I guess.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Leave it to Bears fans to convince themselves that this draft was actually decent, when the national consensus is that is was highly suspect.

The very idea of draft grades without having seen a single player play a down in the NFL is ridiculous.

That said, Poles entered the offseason with 5 picks: a 2nd, 3rd, 2 5ths and a 6th. He picked up another second from Mack. There's only so much he was ever going to be able to do with that.

And let's be honest, you were never going to give Poles/the bears and credit no matter what they did.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The very idea of draft grades without having seen a single player play a down in the NFL is ridiculous.

That said, Poles entered the offseason with 5 picks: a 2nd, 3rd, 2 5ths and a 6th. He picked up another second from Mack. There's only so much he was ever going to be able to do with that.

And let's be honest, you were never going to give Poles/the bears and credit no matter what they did.
His primary objective should have been to surround Fields with some talent, he failed that objective miserably.
The first two picks were solid picks, albeit not in positions I would have drafted.
So maybe the D is a "little" better (1st year CB's traditionally don't do well), but they will also be on the field a lot longer, because the offense is anemic. If Chicago opts to be a run first O, GLWT as the O-line is hot trash. If they opt to throw the ball a lot, well, GLWT also.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
C- aka Coors Light

We'll see how the 2754645466 5-7th round draft picks turn out. Then I might give him a D+

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
His primary objective should have been to surround Fields with some talent, he failed that objective miserably.
The first two picks were solid picks, albeit not in positions I would have drafted.
So maybe the D is a "little" better (1st year CB's traditionally don't do well), but they will also be on the field a lot longer, because the offense is anemic. If Chicago opts to be a run first O, GLWT as the O-line is hot trash. If they opt to throw the ball a lot, well, GLWT also.
You're one of those guys who worries about other people's ? aren't u?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

Shhh....you hear that?

That's Lions fans who've been boasting about their offseason since 1958