Velus Jones Jr

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
? Deebo wasn't a 25 yo rookie
Your comment was about him not getting 900 yards in college. Deebo never got 900 yards in 4 seasons so again college production is a useless barometer here.

I do not like the fact he is 25 either but separate issue from you comment about 900 yards.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Jones Jr. is Todd McShay’s favorite pick made by the Bears. Here’s what he said:

"I love Jones' upside. He's a tad under 6-foot and is still refining his route running, but look at his speed and contact balance. He is a threat any time the ball is in his hands, with instincts and elusiveness in the open field and the breakaway speed to take the top off the defense. Jones' 4.31 in the 40 ranked fourth among all participants at the combine and second among receivers, and he's built like a running back.
"Chicago can get the ball in his hands on quick slants and let him pick up extra yards. They can target him on deep shots. They can get him involved on sweeps. And they can use him in the return game, where he averaged 24.4 yards per kickoff return and 15.1 per punt return during his college career."

McShay tabs WR Jones as Bears' best draft pick

gobullschi

Liked Posts:
He’s going to be the most interesting player to follow in training camp. The physical tools are all there but it’s unclear why his production was so underwhelming. Was it the system he played in? Was it his QB?

Will he line up in the backfield?

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Jones Jr. is Todd McShay’s favorite pick made by the Bears. Here’s what he said:

"I love Jones' upside. He's a tad under 6-foot and is still refining his route running, but look at his speed and contact balance. He is a threat any time the ball is in his hands, with instincts and elusiveness in the open field and the breakaway speed to take the top off the defense. Jones' 4.31 in the 40 ranked fourth among all participants at the combine and second among receivers, and he's built like a running back.
"Chicago can get the ball in his hands on quick slants and let him pick up extra yards. They can target him on deep shots. They can get him involved on sweeps. And they can use him in the return game, where he averaged 24.4 yards per kickoff return and 15.1 per punt return during his college career."

McShay tabs WR Jones as Bears' best draft pick
I see him as a high floor (great returner, gadget player) with a very high ceiling player if he can learn to be a good route runner.

• Harold
Reactions: Myk

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I need a second. The site is laggy right now and I’m having trouble wading through your pool of dislikes for any positive post about Jones and all the thumbs up for anybody who has something negative to say about him.

You’re definitely not over obsessed about all of this in some unhealthy way.

Really though. I can see your posts. I’m not going to get into specifics. But you’re clearly an SEC college football fan. And you’re into the draft and you think your knowledge of college football makes you knowledgeable about the draft. youre opinionated about the topic. Not sure why you’re now backing down and pretending like you’re not one of those guys. I can see you wanted a Metchie in the second. You have little comments about specific players throughout where it’s obvious you believe you have some knowledge about college football and you think that correlates with the draft.

I don’t know if this kid will work out or not. Your obsession with trashing him is weird though. Tennessee also had a third rounder like 5 or 6 years ago who had to transfer to Knoxville because he wasn’t getting playing time in Tuscaloosa. Really didn’t do a ton in Knoxville either. Some thought the other RB was actually better. He went to the saints in the third. He couldn’t even freaking beat out a kid who transferred to Baylor and playEd WR. what a waste of a pick by the saints. A reach really.

See how easy it is to create negative narratives surrounding people?

You're also pushing this idea that the Bears drafted him to be a wr. I think it’s very likely they drafted him for his special teams ability and they’re hoping he can turn into a good receiver. The worth of the pick doesn’t rely on him turning out to be a legit wr. it’s a plus if he can develop into one, but its not of the importance you’re making it out to be. And in many ways by you doing this you’re setting him up for failure. Because you’re putting too high of an expectation on a third round pick.
Ain't nobody reading that. But I'm sorry that happened to you, or I am very excited for you.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Impressive contact balance. He will be a two level receiver to start, screen and slants short; go, post, and probably some double moves long.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

So after mulling over this pick for a while if I had only watched the highlights of him I'd be excited. (I'm not going to pretend I'm breaking down all 22 tape or anything) But just watching some clips of the guy it's clear as day he's fast as fuck. He can go deep. He can turn short plays into long plays. Just watching the tape and knowing nothing else I'd be all about this pick.

The negatives are really the stuff not on tape: his age and lack of prior production to last year. If he was 20 years old coming off his Jr year we'd probably be super excited. We shall see. There's enough on tape for me to look forward to seeing what he can do. It's just the ancillary stuff giving me pause. Which I guess is better than me watching his tape and going "yeah this kid sucks". That's not the case at all.
This is the OC thinking he can find ways to get the ball into VJJ's:rolleyes: hands and make a D accountable which opens up other things. I'd wager that this pick was about a Getsy preference. Lets hope this set of coaches can actually coach.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I see him as a high floor (great returner, gadget player) with a very high ceiling player if he can learn to be a good route runner.
He needs to meet that gadget floor to be worth the pick. There's no guarantees he can be reliable in an NFL O.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
High floor?

He doesn't know how to run wr routes.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
High floor?

He doesn't know how to run wr routes.

He has 2 elite traits ie elite speed and elite RAC ability. He doesnt need to know how to run all the routes to be successful.

Cordarelle Paterson is still is a poor route runner. He had a great year last year with over 1k combined receiving and rushing yards because you cant stop him from getting the ball on short passes and runs. All you can really try to do is stop him from turning it into a big play which has nothing to do with route running and everthing to do with play design, blocking and the ability to miss or break tackles.

So he was drafted because it will be easy to get him the ball. The question is whether you can consistently set it up for him to get YAC after getting the ball. In addition, if teams cheat then he has a great counter in that he has the speed to beat you deep. So it is like a speed pass rusher. If teams set up to stop the speed rush then you need a counter to keep them honest. VJJ has that so it comes down not to advanced route running but whether his YAC and speed traits translate well to the NFL.

Patterson didnt magically get better running routes in year 9 of the NFL. He simply went to a team with an OC that designed better plays and had better blocking in front of him to allow him to use his YAC ability. 30.2% of his passes were behind the LoS. 50.8% were 0-9 yards so that is 81% of passes that were short. That is what you will see from VJJ.

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
From Poles’ press conference, Fields had a big role to play in the drafting of Jones. So if they don’t like the pick, they have our QB to blame…
If Poles is letting his 2nd year QB have a say in who he's drafting in the 3rd round, which produces day one starters every draft, then Poles has another issue other than having V.Jones as his BPA in round 3.

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
If Poles is letting his 2nd year rookie QB have a say in who he's drafting in the 3rd round, which produces day one starters every draft, then Poles has another issue other than having V.Jones as his BPA in round 3.
What’s wrong with letting your 2nd year QB have a say in who he wants? And he’s not a rookie anymore…..

You have no idea where Poles had Jones ranked compared to other Wrs that were available. And you have no idea what type of offense they are running or what type of weapons they want. Sorry that Poles didn’t pick the guy you wanted.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Obviously a polarizing pick but not sure it should be. 2nd round WRs have a just under %50 success rate. 3rd round only about 1/2 that at 25% from this report.
That said, the draft depth of WRs has increased since 2015 and this covid draft should make that deeper still but a WR taken at this spot, this year would still be slightly less likely to succeed than succeed. If he contribute though the length of his contract, he's a good pick as long as the OL is reasonable.

Getsy obviously liked him and Fields at least didn't disapprove. Not sure beyond that.