John Henry hoped to keep Theo

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
Boston Red Sox owner John Henry said he 'did everything' to keep Theo Epstein - ESPN Boston

BOSTON -- Negotiations continued Friday between the Boston Red Sox and Chicago Cubs for Theo Epstein's services, but Red Sox principal owner John Henry spoke as if the deal is done.

"I would love to have Theo back," Henry said on 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston. "I would have loved for Theo to have been our general manager for the next 20 years. That was my hope. That would have been my hope. But you don't always get what you want. I did everything I could personally, and so did Tom and Larry, to make that happen. The fact is that being general manager in Boston, being manager in Boston, is a terrifically tough job."

For the first time, Henry acknowledged that Epstein has spoken to another team, presumably the Cubs. But a few hurdles remain to Epstein going to Chicago. The Red Sox are taking a hard-line stance that Epstein not take any of his top aides with him, according to a team source.

Sources said Epstein and the Cubs have reached agreement on on five-year deal for anywhere from $15 million to $20 million.

Henry has said that there's a shelf life for working for the Red Sox and that Epstein would not be the Red Sox GM forever. He started at age 28 in 2002.

"He never saw the general manager's role as longer than 10 years for himself," Henry said. "I mean, maybe he did early on, but certainly after a few years he knew the stress of this job was too much."

Some Red Sox officials have been told that Ben Cherington, as expected, will be general manager, assuming the Red Sox and Cubs come to an agreement on compensation for Epstein, said the team source. Cherington would step into a tough situation after the Red Sox collapsed in September and then allegations about a lack of team chemistry surfaced.

"Tom (Werner) and my role is to have the best management possible," Henry told the radio station. "We've had great management. Tito (manager Terry Francona) and Theo have brought two World Series, arguably the best general manager in my mind and the best manager. It's just a really a sad day to see them both leave."

For Epstein to depart for good, the two sides have to reach agreement on compensation. Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts has given his player evaluators a list of prospects to decide if any should be made available in a compensation package, ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine reported Thursday.

Teams only have seven days to communicate and get a deal done after they ask for permission to talk to an employee of another team, two major league sources told Levine on Friday.

The source told ESPNBoston.com Friday that he would not be surprised if negotiations continue until Tuesday.

That's the day before the World Series is scheduled to begin, and the commissioner's office prohibits any major personnel announcements from being made during the Series.

"I can't imagine that either team would want to go another 10 days [until after the World Series ends]," the source said.

Henry acknowledged that the timing of an announcement could be tricky.

"There's a prohibition against announcements being made during the postseason in baseball," he told the radio station. "It would be unfair to the Cubs, who I don't care that much about, but certainly to the Red Sox, and to Theo and to the people involved to comment about what's going on until there's something to be announced."

More On The Cubs

Can't get enough Cubs information? ESPNChicago.com has all the latest from the North Side. Blog

The Red Sox would seem to hold considerable leverage in the negotiations, given that Epstein remains under contract for another year and the Cubs have raised high expectations among their fan base that the 37-year-old is headed to Chicago.

It may well be that depending on the players they receive from the Cubs, they may relent on banning Epstein from taking any of his top aides with him.

Epstein is already putting together his wishlist for a Cubs staff during the negotiating period, a major league source told Levine. On the current staff, interim Cubs general manager Randy Bush and scouting director Tim Wilken have one year remaining on their contracts. Director of Player Personnel Oneri Fleita has four year remaining after having his deal extended at the end of the season.

Could the whole deal between the Cubs and Red Sox still fall apart?

The Red Sox need only look back to 2002, when Billy Beane accepted the GM job, only to inform the club two days later that he had changed his mind and would remain GM of the Oakland Athletics.

That was not a compensation issue, but there is precedent for a disagreement on compensation killing a managerial hire: The New York Mets wanted to hire Lou Piniella as manager after the 2001 season but could not reach agreement with the Seattle Mariners on compensation.

Piniella ending up going to Tampa Bay after the Rays agreed to send outfielder Randy Winn as compensation.

Last edited:

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Theo was just looking for a new challenge and the opportunity to end a second World Series drought.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
The hosts from the radio show are on Chicago Tribune live.

John was pissed by what they were saying so he went to the studio unannounced lol

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
With everything going downhill in Boston, Theo bailed at the right time

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
Im starting to wonder if this is really more about who Theo can bring with him and not so much the players involved. Think about it. One of the main reasons we're getting Theo is that he has had success with with developing players and we've had a bad history of not developing players and overassessing them. Given that this is one of the reasons for getting Theo, it would seem counter intuitive to let yet another player that we are probably overassessing get in the way.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
:thinking:

CNM type of thing...

funny-fail-pics-epic-fail-massive-train-wreck.jpg

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys like the part where John Henry didn't like the Crawford signing even though he okayed the $142MM to get him? :lol:

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
You guys like the part where John Henry didn't like the Crawford signing even though he okayed the $142MM to get him? :lol:

Trying to save face with the fanbase. Lol

Lex L.

Liked Posts:

One might say he trusted Theo when OKing that though. Owners probably go against their better judgment a lot of times because they trust people theyre paying. Notice how he didnt mention the times Epstein was right.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
One might say he trusted Theo when OKing that though. Owners probably go against their better judgment a lot of times because they trust people theyre paying. Notice how he didnt mention the times Epstein was right.

This is slightly different from trading the farm for Matt Garza though. This is $142MM :lol: Hell of a leap of faith if he wasn't into it.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
This is slightly different from trading the farm for Matt Garza though.

What does Matt Garza have to do with this? I made no mention of Matt Garza.

This is $142MM :lol: Hell of a leap of faith if he wasn't into it.

You have to look at it in relative terms.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
What does Matt Garza have to do with this? I made no mention of Matt Garza.

You have to look at it in relative terms.

You didn't. I merely used them both as examples of owner-approved moves, which they are by default because someone has to sign those paychecks.

Relative to what? $142MM is a shit-ton of money to say "hey, I never approved of this" :lol:

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
You didn't. I merely used them both as examples of owner-approved moves, which they are by default because someone has to sign those paychecks.

Relative to what? $142MM is a shit-ton of money to say "hey, I never approved of this" :lol:

Relative to the fact that the Red Sox compete with the Yankees and that comes with the territory. This isn't the first time Henry has signed off on spending a lot of money on a player. He also agreed to give Adrian Gonzalez a lot of money. This move worked out. Not all of them do but that comes with the territory when you're a large market team competing with the Yankees. And then, for all we know Crawford could help Boston win antother WS. Its not automatic that he'll do poorly every year.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Relative to the fact that the Red Sox compete with the Yankees and that comes with the territory. This isn't the first time Henry has signed off on spending a lot of money on a player. He also agreed to give Adrian Gonzalez a lot of money. This move worked out. Not all of them do but that comes with the territory when you're a large market team competing with the Yankees. And then, for all we know Crawford could help Boston win antother WS. Its not automatic that he'll do poorly every year.

That's fine. The issue isn't that Crawford may or may not have been worth it (I think he wasn't) but rather that the owner signed off on a player he didn't actually approve of, even though the act of signing meant he approved it by default, and inadvertently trashed said player in the press. That's all I was saying.

Lex L.

Liked Posts:
That's fine. The issue isn't that Crawford may or may not have been worth it (I think he wasn't) but rather that the owner signed off on a player he didn't actually approve of, even though the act of signing meant he approved it by default, and inadvertently trashed said player in the press. That's all I was saying.

No, that was your issue, which is not one and the same as "the issue".

He probably scrutinizes every signing to some degree but in the end, defers to the people who he pays to run the team. Still though, he shouldnt be cherry picking signings that are now negatively perceived when he's probably scrutinized every signing.