Bulls 2022 Offseason Discussion Thread (FREE AGENCY)

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
FYI: I'm not commenting on Lamb's defense, I'm saying I've never paid attention to it.
That’s how I took it. I don’t know about his defense either. I do know he is 6’5, so in theory he can match up well with wing players, but yeah…I don’t really know either

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I don’t think we can complain about a lack of shooting and then go out and sign guys who are 34-35% for their careers. We already have streaky shooters on the team. Bulls need snipers. If I’m targeting shooters, anything less than 37-38% at minimum would be a non-starter for me.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I don’t think we can complain about a lack of shooting and then go out and sign guys who are 34-35% for their careers. We already have streaky shooters on the team. Bulls need snipers. If I’m targeting shooters, anything less than 37-38% at minimum would be a non-starter for me.
I get your point, but that’s a flawed way of looking at it. Jones for example is a 35% career 3 point shooter, but shot it 39% this season. Do you rule him out because he’s only 35% for his career?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I get your point, but that’s a flawed way of looking at it. Jones for example is a 35% career 3 point shooter, but shot it 39% this season. Do you rule him out because he’s only 35% for his career?
I’m leaning towards yes because I can’t really count on him being a lockdown shooter since he only has one year of evidence. It’s a gamble that he can keep that up.

He also only averaged 3 attempts per game and before this year never averaged more than 2 attempts…so he’s a very low volume shooter. Again, if shooting is a deficiency and you’re going to make it a point to address, you need to bring in proven shooters. Bulls also have other deficiencies such as perimeter defenders and overall length/athleticism, so when addressing shooting specifically, I think they need to be proven snipers with a track record to back that up.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know I'll get some crap for saying this...but that's basically like saying Vucevic would help with shooting based on last year's number (Vucevic too is a 35% career shooter and last year shot 40%).

If we are wanting to have guys who will be consistent from 3, we would need to target players who shoot a higher percentage for their career. The previously mentioned Bryn Forbes would be a much better candidate in that regard given he's a 41% career shooter from 3.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I’m leaning towards yes because I can’t really count on him being a lockdown shooter since he only has one year of evidence. It’s a gamble that he can keep that up.

He also only averaged 3 attempts per game and before this year never averaged more than 2 attempts…so he’s a very low volume shooter. Again, if shooting is a deficiency and you’re going to make it a point to address, you need to bring in proven shooters. Bulls also have other deficiencies such as perimeter defenders and overall length/athleticism, so when addressing shooting specifically, I think they need to be proven snipers with a track record to back that up.
He was a backup taking 3 of them a game. He played 21 mpg. If you extrapolate that out over 35 min played, he’s around 5 attempts a game. And the notion that this is his first good shooting year is false. i simply mentioned this year because it’s you know, the most recent data to go off of. I would hope you wouldn’t expect to focus on his first couple years in the league, as if he hasn’t improved over the years….correct?

then you factor in Jones is a solid defender and set the nba record for assist to turnover ratio in a season, and id think you would understand why he would be a great target. A two way PG that takes care of the ball and can shoot the 3 is a nice asset to have.

you aren’t going to find 40+% shooters on 6+ 3 point shot volume available. There aren’t a ton of those type of guys out there, and the ones that are won’t be available because typically those are star players

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I know I'll get some crap for saying this...but that's basically like saying Vucevic would help with shooting based on last year's number (Vucevic too is a 35% career shooter and last year shot 40%).

If we are wanting to have guys who will be consistent from 3, we would need to target players who shoot a higher percentage for their career. The previously mentioned Bryn Forbes would be a much better candidate in that regard given he's a 41% career shooter from 3.
If Vuc actually hit 35% last year, he would of helped the bulls 3 point shooting. If he gets back to that mark, he will help them going forward. That said, I never want to see another game where he takes 10+ three pointers

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Ben McLemore is probably the closest thing to fitting @Enasic ’s criteria that is available and realistic to get in FA. He takes 6 three pointers a game, but *only* on 36% shooting

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ben McLemore is probably the closest thing to fitting @Enasic ’s criteria that is available and realistic to get in FA. He takes 6 three pointers a game, but *only* on 36% shooting
I'd be ok with Ben McLemore. 36% is ok, above average but nothing particularly special, but he's a guy you have to care about from the 3pt line if you're the defense and KD himself recalled a game where McLemore hit like 5 3s in a row vs the Nets and how that was a weapon the Blazers had this year. In particular you can run designed plays for him to get 3s from certain areas and he'll be decent.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Vuc actually hit 35% last year, he would of helped the bulls 3 point shooting. If he gets back to that mark, he will help them going forward. That said, I never want to see another game where he takes 10+ three pointers
Agreed

Enasic

Liked Posts:
He was a backup taking 3 of them a game. He played 21 mpg. If you extrapolate that out over 35 min played, he’s around 5 attempts a game. And the notion that this is his first good shooting year is false. i simply mentioned this year because it’s you know, the most recent data to go off of. I would hope you wouldn’t expect to focus on his first couple years in the league, as if he hasn’t improved over the years….correct?

then you factor in Jones is a solid defender and set the nba record for assist to turnover ratio in a season, and id think you would understand why he would be a great target. A two way PG that takes care of the ball and can shoot the 3 is a nice asset to have.

you aren’t going to find 40+% shooters on 6+ 3 point shot volume available. There aren’t a ton of those type of guys out there, and the ones that are won’t be available because typically those are star players
I’m just not sure how much someone like tyus would help. Other than this season, he had one other season when he shot 38% (2019) and that was 2 attempts per game. Before this season (2020) he shot 32% so it’s not like I’m only looking at his early years. He does have multiple seasons that he shot low 30s. He’s a very streaky career shooter on low volume. He does not remotely solve the bulls shooting issues.

That said, I don’t think a few minor tweaks is going to make a difference with this roster so there’s that. And tyus is probably a step below a minor tweak, IMO. I would aim much higher.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I’m just not sure how much someone like tyus would help. Other than this season, he had one other season when he shot 38% (2019) and that was 2 attempts per game. Before this season (2020) he shot 32% so it’s not like I’m only looking at his early years. He does have multiple seasons that he shot low 30s. He’s a very streaky career shooter on low volume. He does not remotely solve the bulls shooting issues.

That said, I don’t think a few minor tweaks is going to make a difference with this roster so there’s that. And tyus is probably a step below a minor tweak, IMO. I would aim much higher.
Watch more Grizz games is all I can tell you. Tyus is a very very good PG. Legit best backup PG in the league. I wouldn’t call adding him a minor tweak.

You could argue backup PG isn’t a big enough need, and that’d be a fair argument to make…but not that Tyus isn’t a significant upgrade over the likes of coby and ayo

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Watch more Grizz games is all I can tell you. Tyus is a very very good PG. Legit best backup PG in the league. I wouldn’t call adding him a minor tweak.

You could argue backup PG isn’t a big enough need, and that’d be a fair argument to make…but not that Tyus isn’t a significant upgrade over the likes of coby and ayo
Def not a need. I don’t think Coby will be back but with Caruso and Ayo, I don’t think adding a 6 foot 35% career 3 pt shooter remotely moves the needle or solves the bulls issues. I don’t think I’d even say tyus is a significant upgrade over Ayo who should have an even better season going into his 2nd year. I would say Ayo hit a rookie wall in the 2nd half, but in fairness to him, literally everyone played worse over the last 2 months. Every single player lol

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tyus Jones is a good player imo, but I don't think he adds tremendous value to this team like he adds value to the Grizzlies. His strengths are in playmaking and game management, which of course are good qualities to have from your PGs, but our primary needs are in shooting, perimeter defense, and bench scoring. I'm not sure if he'll be able to fit that role on this team.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Tyus Jones is a good player imo, but I don't think he adds tremendous value to this team like he adds value to the Grizzlies. His strengths are in playmaking and game management, which of course are good qualities to have from your PGs, but our primary needs are in shooting, perimeter defense, and bench scoring. I'm not sure if he'll be able to fit that role on this team.
Agreed. Good player but not a great fit/value to this roster.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Def not a need. I don’t think Coby will be back but with Caruso and Ayo, I don’t think adding a 6 foot 35% career 3 pt shooter remotely moves the needle or solves the bulls issues. I don’t think I’d even say tyus is a significant upgrade over Ayo who should have an even better season going into his 2nd year. I would say Ayo hit a rookie wall in the 2nd half, but in fairness to him, literally everyone played worse over the last 2 months. Every single player lol
He’s a lot better than Ayo