Would fields have been the #1 pick in this draft?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is zero doubt that he would have been the #1 pick for several reasons:
  1. QBs are always drafted high if they are any good. Seeing that Fields would have easily been the #1 QB, he would have been on every team's radar which needed a QB. Seeing that Detroit was sitting there at #2 and having a pretty crappy QB as the starter, they would have certainly taken him at #2.
    1. Because every other team knew that they would have to jump over Detroit to get the one "franchise QB", there would have been an auction to get to #1.
    2. It would be Jacksonville's choice to only drop to #2 and still get a king's ransom or to drop lower and get a bigger king's ransom for the #1 pick. It would all depend on what Jacksonville thought about the top of the first round (which was reported to not be that special already).
  2. Because the 2022 NFL draft did not have any truly special players at the top, Jacksonville would have loved to trade the #1 for a team to move up and draft the one player in the draft who would have been head and shoulders above the rest of the players, Fields.
    1. It would have saved cap space because Jacksonville would not have to overpay for a very good player, but not great, who would have cost them the price of the #1 pick.
    2. Jacksonville could have gotten a 2023 #1 draft pick plus a slightly lower 2022 first round pick where they could draft a player whose value would match his draft position.
  3. Even if Fields were not the top player in the 2022 draft, which I believe he would have been, he would have moved up to the #1 spot because top QBs are always drafted earlier than their draft value because top QBs are always viewed as more valuable than other positions.
* @nc0gnet0 would be fapping all over this board about the JF pick

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The original thought was - devil's advocate - Fields maybe OVERRATED because he was beating up on D-LEAGUE schools in the Big10.

Note he was on the ONE team that's won a couple of championships in the last 20 years.

Maybe his regular season college stats are a bit....slanted.
Okay but then he threw for 6 TDs vs Clemson and 385 yards in the playoffs. Just feels like you're grasping for something that isn't there.

Then - looked like shit vs Alabama in the NC although IIRC his hand was injured

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
This take is incredibly bad.

I could post the statistics of the number of all pro/pro talent that has come out of the big ten over say, the past 10 years vs other power 5 conference schools. The numbers would shock you, clearly. But I won't and let you continue to make yourself look like, well the way you look.
That is one positive thing that you can say about Black Rainbow, he is consistent.

He consistently has bad takes.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Did you watch the Michigan vs Georgia game?

That was the best the Big10 had...?

So you are determining if the BIG10 is good or not based on one game against one of the best teams in modern NCAA history?

Sounds smart

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Tim Couch was 1 overall.

This doesn't matter.
Your reference? True

Ohio state made the quarter finals of the championship run the last 2 years Fields was there and Mich made it last year.
D league? :dog:

Last edited:

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I stood up for him for so long and he's making me look like an idiot.
Bro one of the biggest steps into getting into the hall is admitting a mistake. Mine was Cutler

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Better question would be if the draft was done over, would Fields get past teams like the Broncos or Panthers

Bort

Liked Posts:
Kinda, I get his point. Tbh I’m scared to death of big10 offensive players outside of OL

JF & co are exceptions

The Big Ten produces some productive NFL tight ends (Kittle, Fant, Gesicki, etc), some great quarterbacks (Brady, Brees, and Wilson), but it seems like the wide receivers tend to go bust in the NFL.

Bort

Liked Posts:
Also, to answer OP's question, the 2021 draft had at least 3 (arguably 5) elite tier QB prospects, and the 2022 draft had zero elite tier QB prospects (and no Myles Garrett type consensus #1 overall pick), so just based on that alone, Fields would have gone top 5 overall in 2022, probably 1 overall.

So, yeah, Pace made a good decision to snag Fields at 11.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Big Ten produces some productive NFL tight ends (Kittle, Fant, Gesicki, etc), some great quarterbacks (Brady, Brees, and Wilson), but it seems like the wide receivers tend to go bust in the NFL.
Haha the, maybe my PTSD is from the bears not the conference

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think so.

That alone means Ryan pace did a good job, right?

Right?
Jacksonville has Lawrence, they would not been taking Fields, The Lions for sure take Fields

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Jacksonville has Lawrence, they would not been taking Fields, The Lions for sure take Fields
But they'd trade the pic for a payday and Fields would still be #1.

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
He potentially spent two 1st round picks on an overrated Big10 QB (college D league) who cannot hang on to the ball.
Potentially? wtf does that even mean? He spent ONE!!! 1st round pick and simply swapped the other and moved up. Not sure how dumb you have to be to not understand this.