Expectations for Velus Jones Jr. this year?

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
What expectations do we have for our new rookie WR: Velus Jones Jr this year?

hxi5ljtkbl17ctrycav7.jpg

I started a new Chicago Bears podcast recently (Small Town Chicago Bears). I put together a deep dive on Velus Jones Jr. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on him? Projections?

Velus Jones Jr. (Deep Dive) by Small Town Chicago Bears

Small Town Chicago Bears is also available on: Spotify/Apple Podcasts/Google Podcasts/Stitcher

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
26 punt returns for 243 yards. that is all

Bort

Liked Posts:
As a receiver? Maybe like 30 catches for 300 yards.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
As a receiver? Maybe like 30 catches for 300 yards.
Agreed. With his age and experience he should be able to play a little earlier than some other rookies, so I would expect him on the field this season. 300-400 yards would be very solid for him.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's a big "if", but man if he becomes the threat he could be, teams are going to have to decide whether they want to shut down Mooney or Jones. Okay, I'll pour the rest of my Kool-Aid pitcher out.

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
Agreed. With his age and experience he should be able to play a little earlier than some other rookies, so I would expect him on the field this season. 300-400 yards would be very solid for him.
40-50 catches - more in the 500 yard range would be nice!

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
It's a big "if", but man if he becomes the threat he could be, teams are going to have to decide whether they want to shut down Mooney or Jones. Okay, I'll pour the rest of my Kool-Aid pitcher out.
Correct a big "IF" Looking forward to see how he does in training camp/with full pads! Velus could be quite the weapon!

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
69 Catches, 420 yards, 1 PR TD
I would expect that yardage to be up if he ends up with 70 catches. However, if he plays in the slot his yardage could be lower like you have it, 400 range.

Last edited:

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Reminds me of all the years that meatballs here said that Hester was a #1 WR. You clowns are trying to shove 5lbs of Velus into a 2lb WR bag

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I am going into it without expectations. It is easy to get excited over his speed and it is easy to get cynical over one concern or another, and the rest of this team is just as big a question mark. Add to that that a lot of the cynicism revolves around bare cupboards from an underwhelming Pace/Nagy regime.

I want to see him get two touches on offense a game and see what he does with it. He has a lot of athletic traits to get excited about, and I will let his play determine expectations next year. We will have a better idea of what he will have the opportunity to do at that point anyway.

Bust

Liked Posts:

shut down mooney? Mooney is just above average status in the league. Good bang for the buck 5th round pick . . .

Bust

Liked Posts:
I am going into it without expectations. It is easy to get excited over his speed and it is easy to get cynical over one concern or another, and the rest of this team is just as big a question mark. Add to that that a lot of the cynicism revolves around bare cupboards from an underwhelming Pace/Nagy regime.

I want to see him get two touches on offense a game and see what he does with it. He has a lot of athletic traits to get excited about, and I will let his play determine expectations next year. We will have a better idea of what he will have the opportunity to do at that point anyway.

the only stat that matters are TURNOVERS . . .

if the bears get the bounces . . . season will be a surprise.