Expectations for Velus Jones Jr. this year?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
That's big expectations for someone who hasn't played a single down of NFL football. Some 1st round rookies won't reach 500 yards.

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
shut down mooney? Mooney is just above average status in the league. Good bang for the buck 5th round pick . . .
You can categorize him how you want, but he's a 1000 yard receiver who's a threat to create both short as well as long separation. You can best believe defenses both know who he is and are accounting for him in their game-planning.

greg23

Liked Posts:
As the 3rd/4th option in the passing game

35-45 rec
400-550 yards
+
150 ish rushing yards

Should be the punt returner as well....and expecting 500ish yards (assuming the defense can stop people) and hopefully a few big plays (td mixed in)

That's 1k+ in all purpose yardage from a rookie......not too bad.

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
I am going into it without expectations. It is easy to get excited over his speed and it is easy to get cynical over one concern or another, and the rest of this team is just as big a question mark. Add to that that a lot of the cynicism revolves around bare cupboards from an underwhelming Pace/Nagy regime.

I want to see him get two touches on offense a game and see what he does with it. He has a lot of athletic traits to get excited about, and I will let his play determine expectations next year. We will have a better idea of what he will have the opportunity to do at that point anyway.
You definitely have the right approach. I actually have low expectations for the team as a whole (Honestly we should probably do that every year as Bears fans?). This is a rebuild year! A lot of unknowns for this team in 2022; however, I do expect our run game to be pretty strong with Montgomery/Herbert. In the end will help the pass game and put confidence in these wide receivers like Velus.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You guys are dreaming if you think he’s getting any more than a few hundred yards on offense. He had a limited route tree in college that basically was only screen passes and go routes. He’s going to have to learn how to be an NFL receiver while never having truly developed into a full college receiver.

I’m not saying the dude can’t eventually be good, but it ain’t gonna be this year. He has to learn a pro route tree against other pros. This is not going to be turnkey.

Keep in mind that the Bears are probably not even going to use him as a regular receiver.

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
That's big expectations for someone who hasn't played a single down of NFL football. Some 1st round rookies won't reach 500 yards.
Yeah the 500+ yards in more of my heart talking :) If Velus can get into the 400 yardage range I still see that as I successful season. Especially a guy who only produced in one year in college. Maybe is all-purpose yards would him 500+ yards, not likely but wouldn't be crazy if it happened. He had 1,722 all-purpose yards last season with Tennessee. I know the transition to the NFL is a big jump for rookies but you never know...

HershelBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Purdue Boilermakers
You guys are dreaming if you think he’s getting any more than a few hundred yards on offense. He had a limited route tree in college that basically was only screen passes and go routes. He’s going to have to learn how to be an NFL receiver while never having truly developed into a full college receiver.

I’m not saying the dude can’t eventually be good, but it ain’t gonna be this year. He has to learn a pro route tree against other pros. This is not going to be turnkey.

Keep in mind that the Bears are probably not even going to use him as a regular receiver.
I wouldn't say we are dreaming? Outside of Mooney and maybe Kmet, someone will emerge as another reliable wide receiver in this offense. This new offensive scheme is geared toward Velus. Yes he needs to improve on his route running, and next year is more realistic for Velus to produce in this offense. Not using him as a WR would be a huge failure. I'm sure if Nagy was still here, he would only use him as the water boy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd like to see 1k all purpose yards if he's doing returns.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
3rd RD pick, given the needs and how he seems like a slight reach (to me) his bar should be 400-600 yards and 3-4 TDs.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Darrius Heyward-Bey​

Bust

Liked Posts:
Really comes down to who else we got to throw too.

This is going to be a ground and pound year, you'll see.

Old school bears football boyz.

1st down, run
2nd down, run
3rd down . . . ?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I expect the over/under to be around 400 yards receiving, with another 100 yards rushing in gadget type plays. I also think he will have 2 TDs on special teams.

But as far as a receiver, I expect he will likely get 2-3 targets a game. I also think we sign a veteran/camp cut to compete with him and Dazz for targets.

The offense needs to be feeding Monty, Mooney, Kmet, and Pringle in the passing game. Even if VJ gets more targets, it shouldn't happen until the latter part of the year. Likely Dazz or a veteran will get those reps at the start if the year.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Herbert is more explosive over Monty. The kid also has great vision by going back against the flow. Monty is more of a north south runner (nothing wrong wit dat).

Bears need to get Herbert involved and not limit him to a handful of touches a game just to give Monty a blow.

WOW!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I expect Velus to be the "Dazz Newsome of what Tarik Cohen was supposed to be."

He's not going to make it. Look at his shuttle and 3-cone.

Velus2.jpg

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
In 2020, Codarelle Patterson's best year in Chicago, he had 21 receptions on 64 attempts, 232 yds averaging 3.6 per completion, with 1 TD.

While I do expect offensive position players to be utilized better in Getsy's offense, we just don't know enough about Jones for me to say I expect him to do better. Being described as a sub-par route runner pre draft is pretty concerning.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think given just how many players they have with return ability (Herbert, Dazz, Ebner, etc.) I wonder if we'll only see him on punts (when it comes to ST). I'd also second that it will be a small # of receptions, but potentially he can get some chunk plays.

PackerNation

Winning Is A Habit
Liked Posts:
I can't wait until the pads go on in camp, and EQ lines up as the #2 WR opposite Mooney.

"We can't say EQ is one of the best WRs on the Bears. We dumpster dived in Green Bay to get him. Packers fans will laugh if we say he is our #2, but in reality we know he is, we are very excited to have him. Bears OC Luke Getsy thinks very highly of EQ, and that should tell us that he will probably be a major part of the offense."

This fan base is a riot!

FBgUKqzWYAs1Ln-.jpg