Bears sign OT Riley Reiff

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
LTBE incentives are performance measures reached in prior year so probably stuff like games started or snaps.

He played 12 games and had 700 snaps so if he doesnt make the team or gets beat out by someone that 12.5m deal is closer to the 2.5.

So probably the case he only gets the full 12m if he emerges as the starter and plays a decent amount this year.
with $10 million likely to be earned

that is the number that counts towards the cap this year. If he did not earn that 10 million, then the money not earned would return to the Bears cap in 2023.

*oops, you addressed it later, my bad.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's funny how there was all the hand wringing about Poles not having proven OL depth and the minute they sign 2 depth pieces, it now becomes about how they were signed because Borom, Jenkins, or the rookies must be shit as determined by unpadded OTA's.
CCS gives me whiplash from following all the “hot” takes.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's funny how there was all the hand wringing about Poles not having proven OL depth and the minute they sign 2 depth pieces, it now becomes about how they were signed because Borom, Jenkins, or the rookies must be shit as determined by unpadded OTA's.

And the contract which is 80% incentives is an overpay.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All things considered, a couple of good solid moves by Poles.
Justin just might survive the season now.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They could have got better in fa for slightly more but the gm fell asleep at the wheel

Hopefully this puts to bed the dumb ass idea 3 7th round rookies going to start on the oline. They are lucky to make it as back ups
Those deals would have much higher guarantees. This could turn out significantly less.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Those deals would have much higher guarantees. This could turn out significantly less.
So then you are scrambling again next year. We are potentially going to be looking for 4 olinmen next offseason. Are you really going to say doing the oline musical chairs every year is what a good gm does?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I don't remember him from MN and can't find NFL highlights for him but it looks like he isn't always getting pushed back in college. So far I like it.
I'm glad Poles is finally doing something instead of playing music while the Titanic sinks.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So then you are scrambling again next year. We are potentially going to be looking for 4 olinmen next offseason. Are you really going to say doing the oline musical chairs every year is what a good gm does?
I get it but I prefer to develop them. It's the same sort of scrambling that you were referring to. Potentially? Sure, potentially, we're looking for another QB or any other spot. It's not an insurance company. You make your best evaluations and run with that until shown otherwise. bringing in a slam dunk LT is great but that takes a huge cap hit and multi year deal when you've got potential cheap players waiting in the wings.

I believe the way this deal went down is that Reiff wasn't finding the guaranteed money he wanted so took the job he though he could win with the best incentives. Bears are also not guaranteeing him much. I honestly hope he's a backup but that's obviously less likely than him starting.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't remember him from MN and can't find NFL highlights for him but it looks like he isn't always getting pushed back in college. So far I like it.
I'm glad Poles is finally doing something instead of playing music while the Titanic sinks.
He's a vet, not especially mobile, large nor strong but has plenty of desire. I view him as a RT that can play some LT if needed.

Last edited:

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
He's a vet, not especially mobile nor strong but has plenty of desire. I view him as a RT that can play at LT.

Always a starter is a plus.
Probably seeing games through fan colored lenses but the Vikings seem to value oline so starter for 4 years there gives me hope.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I imagine talks with these two OL's didn't start just yesterday. Wonder if Reiff and Schofield's asking prices dropped significantly the last few days as they were going to be on the couch as camps started.

They were waiting on an expansion team to move to Chicago @HeHateMe

When that didn't materialize, they figured that they had to sign. Poles had to overpay because these free agents were worried about possibly playing in rural Arlington Heights.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think at this time, Poles largely views Jenkins & Borom as depth and not starters.

Thanks Pace!

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Anyone thinking that we wouldn't be signing guys like this was simply premature and fooling themselves. Poles wasn't done with the OL.
I don't think anyone thought we wouldn't sign a vet or two late.