Bears sign OT Riley Reiff

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lot of $, dude is pretty old. He's been a decent LT, very low number of penalties, but the price looks a bit high for what he is likely to give at this point in his career.

Hopefully not much of it is guaranteed.
Its one year. They have the cap and were not spending it on anything else. Money really isn't an issue.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I like that they will not just hand Jenkins/Borom a starting position. At the same time, if either or both earns a spot, this move does not block them and allows for reliable line depth.

How about JC Tretter next?

That's exactly what this is all about. I don't think the signings preclude one of the younger guys from taking a starting role. I think its protection in the event they aren't ready yet.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Does adding these two OL make a dramatic difference? Assuming both start that is 40% of the Oline that is "improved", but does it equal more wins, or does it equal more time in the pocket or does it equal a better running game.

Just a guess from me, but I would say these two signing equal 1 more win, but more important than that, I hope that these move allow for legit development of Justin AND the overall offense.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Always a starter is a plus.
Probably seeing games through fan colored lenses but the Vikings seem to value oline so starter for 4 years there gives me hope.

The Vikings definitely do not value oline. If you let the fans tell it, its one of their weaker parts of the team

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So anyone still think that they're intentionally tanking for a better pick?:rolleyes:

Luke

Liked Posts:
Its one year. They have the cap and were not spending it on anything else. Money really isn't an issue.

exactly. its a 1 year stop gap LT contract and there were other teams interested.
This gives Jones time to develop and the better of Borom/Jenkins mans the right side.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
We had so little depth this signing isn't an indictment on the rookies. However, I'm getting the feeling Jenkins isn't a LT...and make no mistake about it - that's why they traded up for him.

It's been a complaint of mine for years. The Bears always seem draft guys that have to switch positions in the pros. It worked with Urlacher.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We had so little depth this signing isn't an indictment on the rookies. However, I'm getting the feeling Jenkins isn't a LT...and make no mistake about it - that's why they traded up for him.

It's been a complaint of mine for years. The Bears always seem draft guys that have to switch positions in the pros. It worked with Urlacher.

Most teams had Jenkins as a RT. The spot he was taken wasn't too high either.

The last regime tried making him an LT and thats on them. He's now back to RT where he belongs

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Most teams had Jenkins as a RT. The spot he was taken wasn't too high either.

The last regime tried making him an LT and thats on them. He's now back to RT where he belongs
At this point, I'm just happy if he starts somewhere. I think he's a better T than Borom but also seems unmotivated outside of games. May not be playing well with this regime.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
At this point, I'm just happy if he starts somewhere. I think he's a better T than Borom but also seems unmotivated outside of games. May not be playing well with this regime.
he quit drinking beer and took up yoga bro.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So then you are scrambling again next year. We are potentially going to be looking for 4 olinmen next offseason. Are you really going to say doing the oline musical chairs every year is what a good gm does?
I can’t believe Poles didn’t fix everything in one off-season. What a fucking jackass!

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
So then you are scrambling again next year. We are potentially going to be looking for 4 olinmen next offseason. Are you really going to say doing the oline musical chairs every year is what a good gm does?
Yes there is a chance they will be looking for 4 Olinemen next year but they very well could be on the team already. So your idea of musical chairs is all hypothetical and pointless at this time.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The O-line definitely needs some help, so bringing in a vet on a one-year deal makes sense.

The devil is in the details - Is Reiff's body on the verge of breaking down, or does he have enough in the tank for one solid year? If it's the former, have the Bears left themselves and escape route in the contract - The team is already saddled with a lot of dead money.

Hoping for the best.
Umm ... it is a one year deal so the escape route is in place. He used to be good. I don't know what is left in the tank but the Bears had a much older player at LT last year and he was solid.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I get it but I prefer to develop them. It's the same sort of scrambling that you were referring to. Potentially? Sure, potentially, we're looking for another QB or any other spot. It's not an insurance company. You make your best evaluations and run with that until shown otherwise. bringing in a slam dunk LT is great but that takes a huge cap hit and multi year deal when you've got potential cheap players waiting in the wings.

I believe the way this deal went down is that Reiff wasn't finding the guaranteed money he wanted so took the job he though he could win with the best incentives. Bears are also not guaranteeing him much. I honestly hope he's a backup but that's obviously less likely than him starting.
Isn't this how you develop? They now have 4 veteran starters, should they choose, and Jenkins/ Borom and the rookies to fight for the last spot or win a spot outright. There will be injuries, so others will get some run.

Now they have enough vets to not get Fields killed, and a year to evaluate what they have behind them in the new regime's system. Poles can sign or draft better/long term solutions if he doesn't like what he sees.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
All things considered, a couple of good solid moves by Poles.
Justin just might survive the season now.
I agree signing these two veterans is a solid move. I think this gives the Bears an average OL, give Fields even an average line and I would say his game will take off.

Mikeropod

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. San Antonio Spurs
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Cleveland Browns
  1. San Jose Sharks
  1. Miami (Ohio) Redhawks
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
That's a bit presumptive,but nice to have a known quality at the positions as insurance.

80% of contract is likely to be earned, so probably tied to active games or starts. If he sucks he will be a cheap cut.

Oh, I'm not mad about it! I hope he can teach the new rooks a lot of useful techniques. If Reiff is on the bench, I'd feel pretty good about snaps when he has to come in, no doubt.