Bears sign OT Riley Reiff

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
With Whitehair the only true holdover from last year, how long will this new OL take to gel?

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
With Whitehair the only true holdover from last year, how long will this new OL take to gel?

Thats why they need to find the right combo sooner rather than later. Then give them all training camp and preseason to gel

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thats why they need to find the right combo sooner rather than later. Then give them all training camp and preseason to gel
They are professionals. It better be pretty damn quick.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So then you are scrambling again next year. We are potentially going to be looking for 4 olinmen next offseason. Are you really going to say doing the oline musical chairs every year is what a good gm does?

No I think Poles wants to focus on FAs that are under 30. He didn't have any he liked at OL aside from Bates so he is signing these guys as stop gaps and hopefully a couple of the young guys emerge or he will likely look at under 30 OL again next year. Rinse and repeat until you find guys you truly are happy with.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are worse ways to spend up to $10 mil and as already pointed out today's signings take some pressure off the rookies/2nd year guys. What's terrifying is that Borom and Jenkins actually were starting at some point last year.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
There are worse ways to spend up to $10 mil and as already pointed out today's signings take some pressure off the rookies/2nd year guys. What's terrifying is that Borom and Jenkins actually were starting at some point last year.
Jenkins was basically redshirted because of his injury. I hope he starts to look the part this season, he looked rushed back end of last for live reps.
Borom on the other hand looked serviceable

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Listen guys, he's a bit washed, but you can never go wrong signing a Hawkeye. Seems like a bit of an overpay, but we'll see.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
These OL signings were moves we all saw coming for a good while. Probably the right time to get them in earlier than later. They always needed depth in the least, and experienced starting potential for sure. Hopefully the young guys still work to overtake.

I'd feel better about Reiff if the Bengals O-line wasn't such a liability last year.
I was hoping to learn more about Reiff in this thread. Not much mentioned however. I have kept hearing about how CIN retooled most or all of their shitty OL. Hopefully Reiff wasn't one of the big weak links!??

So anyone still think that they're intentionally tanking for a better pick?:rolleyes:
Those who do, have been listening to mainstream media, who would be right on many teams following a crappy-mediocre year. Lots at play with the Bears lately to justify a stronger than expected year coming up soon. OL performance is and has been the biggest issue not named Matt Nagy. Hopefully some talent rises from the OL unprovens and has-beens on the roster currently.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Of guys that played at least 700 snaps, Reiff had an overall PFF grade of 67.3 which ranked 36th out of 54 eligible guys. He was 26th in run blocking with a 70 and 46 in pass blocking with a 58.4. His actual pass blocking metrics were better than his grades though as he only gave up 21 pressures in total with 4 sacks and 3 QB hits. His pass block efficiency ranked 26th at 96.8% and he committed just one penalty.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Isn't this how you develop? They now have 4 veteran starters, should they choose, and Jenkins/ Borom and the rookies to fight for the last spot or win a spot outright. There will be injuries, so others will get some run.

Now they have enough vets to not get Fields killed, and a year to evaluate what they have behind them in the new regime's system. Poles can sign or draft better/long term solutions if he doesn't like what he sees.
Of course and I don't understand the question. You're reinforcing my point. If rhetorical, thanks for that reinforcement. Perhaps you didn't get context via what I was responding to.

Last edited:

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

I would would look to the coaching for the credit or blame for that. Hopefully they're gelling before the season starts.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Umm ... it is a one year deal so the escape route is in place. He used to be good. I don't know what is left in the tank but the Bears had a much older player at LT last year and he was solid.

Just because it's a one-year deal doesn't mean the Bears will not get stuck with dead money if he flames out after one game.

I don't know the specifics of the deal, but let's hope they can cut him if they need to and spend that money elsewhere.

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I can’t believe Poles didn’t fix everything in one off-season. What a fucking jackass!
Yeah! Especially since Pace left him with a roster full of Hall of Famers. What a bum.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Just because it's a one-year deal doesn't mean the Bears will not get stuck with dead money if he flames out after one game.

I don't know the specifics of the deal, but let's hope they can cut him if they need to and spend that money elsewhere.

Isn't there automatically an injury out? Historically that's the only way that happens with him.
If he sucks so bad to be cut after 1 game after a career of being a starter I'd pin the problem on the Bears for sure.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
This line has the potential to be solid af. Just need to keep working on the receiving corps.

jive

Liked Posts:
I was hoping to learn more about Reiff in this thread. Not much mentioned however. I have kept hearing about how CIN retooled most or all of their shitty OL. Hopefully Reiff wasn't one of the big weak links!??
Considering that the Bengals are in win-now mode, letting their starting left tackle leave in free agency makes me think he's a weak link or at the very least the Bengals wanted an upgrade from Reiff.