Monty on ST?

BearDown104

Bears Guru
Donator
Liked Posts:

The Athletic's Kevin Fishbain and Adam Jahns report that RB David Montgomery is seeing reps on special teams.​

To his credit, Montgomery has "embraced the potential of playing on special teams this season."
He told reporters, "wherever they need me, I’m going to be ready to be there. I’ve never played special teams before. But I’m always down and excited to learn so I can be better.” Montgomery has never played special teams for a reason. After being drafted in the third round of the 2019 draft he has logged at least 267 touches in all three of his NFL seasons. A player with that type of workload seldom sees work on special teams, making Montgomery's new reps a red flag for his 2022 workload. With a new coaching staff in Chicago, it's entirely possible the Bears deploy a committee with Khalil Herbert, who is seeing first-team reps along with Montgomery.

What the fuck?! I know he isn’t in the Bears future after this year, but reps on ST?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

The Athletic's Kevin Fishbain and Adam Jahns report that RB David Montgomery is seeing reps on special teams.​

To his credit, Montgomery has "embraced the potential of playing on special teams this season."
He told reporters, "wherever they need me, I’m going to be ready to be there. I’ve never played special teams before. But I’m always down and excited to learn so I can be better.” Montgomery has never played special teams for a reason. After being drafted in the third round of the 2019 draft he has logged at least 267 touches in all three of his NFL seasons. A player with that type of workload seldom sees work on special teams, making Montgomery's new reps a red flag for his 2022 workload. With a new coaching staff in Chicago, it's entirely possible the Bears deploy a committee with Khalil Herbert, who is seeing first-team reps along with Montgomery.

What the fuck?! I know he isn’t in the Bears future after this year, but reps on ST?
Never underestimate the Bears propensity to hire dumber coaches than the ones they just fired.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
We have seen starting WRs take punts and kickoffs, but I hope they are not talking about putting him on a return team trying to tackle or block.....

Maybe it is just to have a back up practice taking kicks or punts.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Never happen. He's too slow.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Never underestimate the Bears propensity to hire dumber coaches than the ones they just fired.
Treating special teams as an afterthought is the actual Dumb Coach Behavior. You want your best players on the field as much as possible, how many playoff games have you seen decided by a special teams blunder? Happens every year. It was only four years ago it happened to the Bears.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Treating special teams as an afterthought is the actual Dumb Coach Behavior. You want your best players on the field as much as possible, how many playoff games have you seen decided by a special teams blunder? Happens every year. It was only four years ago it happened to the Bears.
They could have Fields return a few kickoffs too.

Unannounced Fart

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Southern California Trojans
Seattle used to play Earl Thomas and Richard Sherman (in their primes) on ST. In Thomas' case, it was both on returns and coverage. At any rate, Montgomery seems like an odd fit on ST.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, when you're a playoff team, not a team in year 1 of a massive rebuild. Bears hit the FG and they score 18 points, which is not good. Maybe if their QB would have starting playing football sooner than with 10 minutes left in the game they could have won.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yeah, when you're a playoff team, not a team in year 1 of a massive rebuild. Bears hit the FG and they score 18 points, which is not good. Maybe if their QB would have starting playing football sooner than with 10 minutes left in the game they could have won.
New head coach, new culture. If there is ever a time to set a new standard for who plays special teams its during the rebuild under a first year regime when things are more maleable.

And besdies, Montgomery is embracing the role so its not like this is something being imposed on him against his will.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
New head coach, new culture. If there is ever a time to set a new standard for who plays special teams its during the rebuild under a first year regime when things are more maleable.

And besdies, Montgomery is embracing the role so its not like this is something being imposed on him against his will.
I never said it was being imposed against his will. Im saying this is the beginning stage of a big rebuild. Their roster is terrible. Worrying about special teams right now and comparing it to playoff games seems laughable when they'll have a lot of inexperienced guys getting meaningful snaps on both sides of the ball in a season where they might win 4-6 games.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
You’re referring to the kicker . So Monty for kicker?

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
gonna block on returns.?
no-fucking.gif