Cubs post trade deadline 2023 outlook

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Legit point

I just also see where he is the team leader in innings pitched. And he isn’t the first guy to have a better ERA when pitching 1 inning at a time vs 5+

2023 Salaries
Hendricks: 14M
Stroman: 25M
Miley: F/A

So we can expect 2/5th locked going in.

Smyly has a club opt 1 mil buy out.
Steele has led all starters with a 1.7 fWAR Thompson #2 at 1.2 fWAR.

So they have 5 guys right now if they resign Smyly. 2nd lefty does hold some advantage.

AAA
Kilian: 4-1 3.74 ERA 89 SO in 71 IP. his issue is his walk rate, 33 at Iowa and it carried over. But this is not a historical issue with him. 1.40 WHIP is a peak. 2019 .56. 2021 .88. So I believe that it will even out. You can pretty much ink his name in the rotation in 2023.

Wesneski 6-7 3.51 ERA with the Yanks. 1.15 WHIP. 83 SO in 89 innings. year before 1.12 WHIP went 11-6 with a 3.25 ERA. So he was a pretty big pick up. So another guy that you can ink in.

So looking at it logcally

2 are going to get bumped.

Smyly I feel is a easy no. 4+ ERA. Not really a guy to block.
Steele. Lefty holds advantage. I doubt Jed will roll out 5 RH.
Thompson. Falls behind Hendricks and Stroman. Money and experience. Thompson has a legit role as closer that he could dominate at.

Thompson is not the only guy that would get pushed aside. Alzolay and Marquez is in rehab and should be in the mix. All 3 become pen power arms in a area of glaring need.

The biggest issue is stabilizing the pen. Cubs have been one of the best teams at getting a lead. The problem has been holding it. That is where having a lock down pen comes into play more.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Clearly didn't read it. I had two lineups written out, one called "best case scenario", which I said has a 0% chance of happening. And one called "likely scenario".
I bet $5 on the game tomorrow at even odds.

Best case scenario, I win $1,000.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Facing hitters again
August 4, 2022
Alzolay (lat) is scheduled to throw a live batting practice session Thursday, Andy Martinez of Marquee Sports Network reports.
ANALYSIS
Facing hitters in a controlled setting marks the final step in Alzolay's prolonged recovery program from a right lat strain before he's ready to head out on what's expected to be an extended minor-league rehab assignment. Since he's been on the shelf since spring training with the injury, Alzolay may not have sufficient time to build up to a starter's workload in 2022, but if he avoids any further setbacks, he'll at least be able to return from the 60-day injured list as a multi-inning relief option before season's end.

Ruled out for season
July 25, 2022
Marquez underwent left shoulder surgery last month and will miss the rest of the season, Patrick Mooney of The Athletic reports.
ANALYSIS
A shoulder injury cost Marquez all of the 2021 campaign, and it will sideline him for all of 2022 as well. A timeline for his recovery was not revealed, so it remains to be seen when he will be ready to get back on the bump.
Read More News

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
2023 Salaries
Hendricks: 14M
Stroman: 25M
Miley: F/A

So we can expect 2/5th locked going in.

Smyly has a club opt 1 mil buy out.
Steele has led all starters with a 1.7 fWAR Thompson #2 at 1.2 fWAR.

So they have 5 guys right now if they resign Smyly. 2nd lefty does hold some advantage.

AAA
Kilian: 4-1 3.74 ERA 89 SO in 71 IP. his issue is his walk rate, 33 at Iowa and it carried over. But this is not a historical issue with him. 1.40 WHIP is a peak. 2019 .56. 2021 .88. So I believe that it will even out. You can pretty much ink his name in the rotation in 2023.

Wesneski 6-7 3.51 ERA with the Yanks. 1.15 WHIP. 83 SO in 89 innings. year before 1.12 WHIP went 11-6 with a 3.25 ERA. So he was a pretty big pick up. So another guy that you can ink in.

So looking at it logcally

2 are going to get bumped.

Smyly I feel is a easy no. 4+ ERA. Not really a guy to block.
Steele. Lefty holds advantage. I doubt Jed will roll out 5 RH.
Thompson. Falls behind Hendricks and Stroman. Money and experience. Thompson has a legit role as closer that he could dominate at.

Thompson is not the only guy that would get pushed aside. Alzolay and Marquez is in rehab and should be in the mix. All 3 become pen power arms in a area of glaring need.

The biggest issue is stabilizing the pen. Cubs have been one of the best teams at getting a lead. The problem has been holding it. That is where having a lock down pen comes into play more.
I see the Cubs trading Hendricks in the off season when he is healthy, and signing a stud FA similar to Stroman length and higher AAV.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Cubs certainly should move on from Hendricks. Need him to have a nice end to the season to regain even a lil value. There’s no way he’s part of the cubs when they are good again, might as well give his spot to one of the young guys

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What's happened to Kyle is what I feared would eventually happen to him as he ages. He used to hit 90-91 but he's down in the 80s now. Not enough difference in velocity makes him need to be even more precise on location or getting bad umpiring help.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I see the Cubs trading Hendricks in the off season when he is healthy, and signing a stud FA similar to Stroman length and higher AAV.
Maybe. Anything could happen

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Cubs certainly should move on from Hendricks. Need him to have a nice end to the season to regain even a lil value. There’s no way he’s part of the cubs when they are good again, might as well give his spot to one of the young guys

He would do great in Dodgers stadium. Run suppression park and HR has been his heel. That park could shave a full run on his ERA

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But trade Kyle. Then target Rodon.

Rodon
Kilian
Stroman
Steele
Wesneski

If Rodon goes for too much. I expect 26-28M myself.

2nd tier Manaea. But he is basically a healthy Miley. Miley at discount might be a option and he stabilizes the rotation

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
But trade Kyle. Then target Rodon.

Rodon
Kilian
Stroman
Steele
Wesneski

If Rodon goes for too much. I expect 26-28M myself.

2nd tier Manaea. But he is basically a healthy Miley. Miley at discount might be a option and he stabilizes the rotation
Or just trade hendricks and let one of the kids have his spot. No need to go signing expensive guys this offseason IMO

CSF77

Liked Posts:
So let's say Jed tosses Miley a Q offer. He would be dumb to turn it down. Gives round 2 trade chip.

Trade Hendricks.

Bring up the 2 kids.

Wicks and Hertz at Iowa.

Trade Miley promote both lefties.

Team will sort itself at that point

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I cant wait until rodon retires so I don't have to see @CSF77 put him in mock offseasons every year.

It reminds me of when people had Brian Robert's going to the cubs for like 5 years

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I cant wait until rodon retires so I don't have to see @CSF77 put him in mock offseasons every year.

It reminds me of when people had Brian Robert's going to the cubs for like 5 years
What I do find interesting is that Rodon was hurt every year he played on the southside.....he was probably injured and unavailable more than he was healthy. The first year he leaves the Sox....he's plays virtually injury free.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
What I do find interesting is that Rodon was hurt every year he played on the southside.....he was probably injured and unavailable more than he was healthy. The first year he leaves the Sox....he's plays virtually injury free.

Kinda makes you go Hmmm

sp2325

Liked Posts:
If Ricketts Mcscrooge finds his wallet this off-season the Cubs can be back in contention for the playoffs. Would need to work on the rotation and any of the young pitchers who can't cut it as a starter becomes a bullpen arm. You can see how the Orioles turned Jorge Lopez from a starter to an all-star closer in 1 season. Cubs have a few of those guys in the system.

2 big offseason signings and resign a team favorite

Sign Carlos Correa move Nico to 2b
Sign Josh Bell
Resign Contreras.

Lineup
1. Nico - 2B
2. Correa - SS
3. Bell - 1B
4. Contreras - C
5. Suzuki - RF
6. Happ - LF
7. Widsom 3B
8. TBD - DH
9. Morel - CF

Bench - Gomes, Madigral, Ortega

SP - TBD
SP - Stroman
SP - Thompson
SP - Steele
SP - Hendricks

Bullpen made up of failed starters and any good reliever left over from this year

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Ricketts Mcscrooge finds his wallet this off-season the Cubs can be back in contention for the playoffs. Would need to work on the rotation and any of the young pitchers who can't cut it as a starter becomes a bullpen arm. You can see how the Orioles turned Jorge Lopez from a starter to an all-star closer in 1 season. Cubs have a few of those guys in the system.

2 big offseason signings and resign a team favorite

Sign Carlos Correa move Nico to 2b
Sign Josh Bell
Resign Contreras.

Lineup
1. Nico - 2B
2. Correa - SS
3. Bell - 1B
4. Contreras - C
5. Suzuki - RF
6. Happ - LF
7. Widsom 3B
8. TBD - DH
9. Morel - CF

Bench - Gomes, Madigral, Ortega

SP - TBD
SP - Stroman
SP - Thompson
SP - Steele
SP - Hendricks

Bullpen made up of failed starters and any good reliever left over from this year
Hoping for your sake that you just don't understand the word "rebuild"..........