My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Is going to QB’s NOT on this roster.

Dalton and Foles have a combined dead
Cap hit of 12.6 million. (That’s more than Whitehair)

29.2 million is going to:

- 2 backup QBs
- 2 retired players
- 1 TE still not on a roster
- a LT that hasn’t played here in 2 years.
- and a backup T on another team.

:Pace:I think most of us already knew this

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I still can't get over that Trevathan contract. What was it, three void years? Someone in Halas Hall must have felt really, really clever when they drew that POS up.
You know they thought, "We'll be fired by the time this matters. Fuck it."

Andy Dalton, Foles, and Matt Nagy. What a fucking shit festival.

Last edited:

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
A gadget runningback who averaged seven yards a touch and was an All Pro punt returner his age twenty-three season. He could have easily gone the Darren Sproles path, he just got hurt instead. Had he stayed healthy and effective six million would've been a relative bargain.
He loved to step out of bounds 2 feet before the first down marker and ran east and west far more than north and south. His contract was terrible

Dick Jauron

2001 AP Coach of the Year
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is going to QB’s NOT on this roster.

Dalton and Foles have a combined dead
Cap hit of 12.6 million. (That’s more than Whitehair)

29.2 million is going to:

- 2 backup QBs
- 2 retired players
- 1 TE still not on a roster
- a LT that hasn’t played here in 2 years.
- and a backup T on another team.

:Pace:

Okay, who fucking cares? We all know this.

Poles is cleaning up Pace's mess, using this year to get the job done just this year alone, then he will do his magic the next few years.

Move on, already.

mecha

Liked Posts:

Poles is cleaning up Pace's mess, using this year to get the job done just this year alone, then he will do his magic the next few years.

Move on, already.
thanks Dick for making sense again. I missed you.

also seriously people, it's a miracle Poles accomplished what he has already. the books were pretty fucked upon his arrival.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Move on, already.

Well now I think I’m going to bump this all year dick. ?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
thanks Dick for making sense again. I missed you.

also seriously people, it's a miracle Poles accomplished what he has already. the books were pretty fucked upon his arrival.
What was so miraculous about it? It's not like it was some stroke of genius that nobody could've concieved to deal away Khalil Mack. Anyone with an internet connection could look on Spotrac and see how much cap space it would save pawning that contract off on a win-now team.

It's not really not that difficult tearing a roster down for draft picks and cap flexibility. Especially if fans, ownership and the media are poised to give you a free pass on having a losing season.

I'm not saying he hasn't done well, I'm just saying this was the easy part. Anyone can let free agents walk, fail to sign any big names and trade away Khalil Mack. If you want to get worse as a team the NFL will gladly oblige you.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
This isn’t a new phenomenon. Regime change means previous regime flubbed up and with that will come all kinds of legacy costs. Poles does have the right approach in that you want to “kitchen sink” as many legacy costs so you have a clean slate sooner rather than later.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
This isn’t a new phenomenon. Regime change means previous regime flubbed up and with that will come all kinds of legacy costs. Poles does have the right approach in that you want to “kitchen sink” as many legacy costs so you have a clean slate sooner rather than later.
The pace fluffers will be insufferable until poles proves himself.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What was so miraculous about it? It's not like it was some stroke of genius that nobody could've concieved to deal away Khalil Mack. Anyone with an internet connection could look on Spotrac and see how much cap space it would save pawning that contract off on a win-now team.

It's not really not that difficult tearing a roster down for draft picks and cap flexibility. Especially if fans, ownership and the media are poised to give you a free pass on having a losing season.

I'm not saying he hasn't done well, I'm just saying this was the easy part. Anyone can let free agents walk, fail to sign any big names and trade away Khalil Mack. If you want to get worse as a team the NFL will gladly oblige you.

I’ll partially agree because yeah the moves were obvious….

Where I’ll disagree is in it’s not easy to do because of the fan base. (Or some of them) Many fans want “win now” solutions. It takes a clear long term vision and some balls to tear it down and stick to the plan. Not racing to quick solutions is the hard part. That’s a big part of what made Pace so awful.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pace had to go. No doubt about it. His strength was was late round drafting but he hamstrung himself in doing that by constantly trading away his capital and constantly overspending in FA killing his chance at gaining comp picks.

Howard, Amos, Ejax, Cohen, Monty, Gipson, Nichols, Kwiatkoski, Mooney etc…

Most teams aren’t consistently hitting that late in the draft. I’m not saying all those guys are world beaters but they belong in the NFL and most late rounders are flushed 1-3 later. But of course the flip side of that is the trades.

Traded a future 2nd for Anthony Miller.… Damien Harris was drafted with the pick that Pace traded up to get Monty. Is Monty so much better than Harris that he was worth a 4th the following year?… In the 4th round in 2016 Pace traded up for Kwiatkoski and then picked Hall and Bush… all picked before Dak (also a 4th rounder) while he had Cutler as the starter.

Then of course there is 2017… could’ve stayed put taken Mahomes or Watson but instead he traded 67, 111, and a future 3rd to the 49ers to move from 3 to 2. The Saints later traded the 49ers for the 67th pick which became Kamara, Kupp was drafted at 69. Pace also traded up for pick112 (after trading away 111) for Ejax giving up 119 and 197, 119 was used to take Josh Reynolds. He probably wouldn’t have traded down at 36 either if he didn’t make that dumb trade up. 36 became Buddha Baker. Other possibilities at 36: Marcus Maye (39), Curtis Samuel (40), Dalvin Cook (41). Instead the trade back netted Shaheen and Cohen. ??

So just to recap in 2017 Pace could’ve had:

1st (3) Mahomes/Watson
2nd (36) Baker/Maye/Cook/Samuel
3rd (67) Kamara/Kupp
4th (111) Ejax

Kittle was taken one pick before Pace took Jordan Morgan at 147. If ever there was a time to trade up… lol. But naw he had already taken Shaheen at 45. No need to hedge your bets with a talented prospect from Iowa when you’ve got that Ashland stud waiting to sign a contract.

Sure there is some of hindsight involved here but there is also a lot of common sense also. Pace had an opportunity to select an all time great draft class and he absolutely blew it.

He should’ve been fired after 2019 when it was obvious he had fucked the 2017 draft so hard.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Pace had to go. No doubt about it. His strength was was late round drafting but he hamstrung himself in doing that by constantly trading away his capital and constantly overspending in FA killing his chance at gaining comp picks.

Howard, Amos, Ejax, Cohen, Monty, Gipson, Nichols, Kwiatkoski, Mooney etc…

Most teams aren’t consistently hitting that late in the draft. I’m not saying all those guys are world beaters but they belong in the NFL and most late rounders are flushed 1-3 later. But of course the flip side of that is the trades.

Traded a future 2nd for Anthony Miller.… Damien Harris was drafted with the pick that Pace traded up to get Monty. Is Monty so much better than Harris that he was worth a 4th the following year?… In the 4th round in 2016 Pace traded up for Kwiatkoski and then picked Hall and Bush… all picked before Dak (also a 4th rounder) while he had Cutler as the starter.

Then of course there is 2017… could’ve stayed put taken Mahomes or Watson but instead he traded 67, 111, and a future 3rd to the 49ers to move from 3 to 2. The Saints later traded the 49ers for the 67th pick which became Kamara, Kupp was drafted at 69. Pace also traded up for pick112 (after trading away 111) for Ejax giving up 119 and 197, 119 was used to take Josh Reynolds. He probably wouldn’t have traded down at 36 either if he didn’t make that dumb trade up. 36 became Buddha Baker. Other possibilities at 36: Marcus Maye (39), Curtis Samuel (40), Dalvin Cook (41). Instead the trade back netted Shaheen and Cohen. ??

So just to recap in 2017 Pace could’ve had:

1st (3) Mahomes/Watson
2nd (36) Baker/Maye/Cook/Samuel
3rd (67) Kamara/Kupp
4th (111) Ejax

Kittle was taken one pick before Pace took Jordan Morgan at 147. If ever there was a time to trade up… lol. But naw he had already taken Shaheen at 45. No need to hedge your bets with a talented prospect from Iowa when you’ve got that Ashland stud waiting to sign a contract.

Sure there is some of hindsight involved here but there is also a lot of common sense also. Pace had an opportunity to select an all time great draft class and he absolutely blew it.

He should’ve been fired after 2019 when it was obvious he had fucked the 2017 draft so hard.
The only one of these you can really crucify him for is Mitch Trubisky and some of the boneheaded trade-ups. Everyone can play what-if with the draft, that isn't what undid Pace. Even Mitch didn't undo Pace. The Rams took a shit quarterback the year before first overall (gave up a million picks to get him too) and they just won the Super Bowl despite it.

What undid Pace was hiring Matt Nagy and then the steady unraveling over the last two off-seasons he was at the helm where he seemed to have zero long term plan. Shit like re-signing a clearly cooked Danny Trevathan and letting Allen Robinson II just stew angrily and quit on the team at the onset of the season instead of just trading him when he could have. There were like a dozen moves like that in 2020 and 2021. That and the yearly routine of converting Khalil Mack's salary into bonus to further bury the long-term cap.

Culminated in the atrocious 2021 draft, an exercise in job saving deseperation that should have been stopped while it was happening.

But honestly, Pace is probably still around if he fires Matt Nagy a year earlier. Matt Nagy was the exponential force that let averageness spiral into embarrassing disaster. Its the one thing we should be thankful to Nagy for, I couldn't handle another awful Pace off-season setting the franchise back even more.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So our 3rd biggest cap hit this year is whitehair then?
That one has been giving me an itch for a while and I don't hate Whitehair. He was given a contract worthy of a PB center and immediately got moved to G because he couldn't spiral a shotgun.:brady:

When he was drafted, I said he could make a great C and he was... except for the thing you can't predict. How can you not master a spiral snap? Very strong hands that can lock you once engaged which is great at center.

mecha

Liked Posts:

didn't I tell you to fuck yourself 2 weeks ago? I have nothing to discuss with you.