BREAKING NEWS: Roquan Smith Wants OUT!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is word for word what I said:

“They usually take care of players well.”

Ok and I pointed out that no they don't. ARob and Jeffery represent their 2 biggest FAs to date and they let walk for nothing. But yes you said usually not always so my bad.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
So to me at least smith is top tier talent I wouldn’t bat an eye to paying him. He will cost 20 mil a year. Have any of you looked at next years free agent? There is a thread on it and it’s so fucking weak. Have any of you factored that into your opinion to pay smith? Or is it just fuck him he isn’t a real bear cause he isn’t honoring his contract lol lol

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
The info regarding him firing his agent isn't clear. He's fired two agents now...correct? If he had an agent prior to the draft and Bears were negotiating with him...then Roquan fired him and everything started over...that isn't on Poles.

If Poles was negotiating with Roquan prior to the draft and they're at this point- then yeah...Poles screwed this up. Roquan should've been traded for whatever they could get prior to the draft.

Now you have to find a team who can absorb his nearly 10mil contract this year. Not an easy or favorable trade market for the Bears at this point.

I think the Bears keep him and he'll play.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Roquan, but if he's asking to be the highest paid linebacker in the league, I'm not doing it. At the end of the day, I think this is a tactic, but if he's serious about wanting to be the highest paid linebacker, then contact Pace. Roquan is from Georgia, I'm sure he would enjoy going back home. Pace can give us a 2nd or 3rd AND Calvin Ridley. Win win for everyone.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The info regarding him firing his agent isn't clear. He's fired two agents now...correct? If he had an agent prior to the draft and Bears were negotiating with him...then Roquan fired him and everything started over...that isn't on Poles.

If Poles was negotiating with Roquan prior to the draft and they're at this point- then yeah...Poles screwed this up. Roquan should've been traded for whatever they could get prior to the draft.

Now you have to find a team who can absorb his nearly 10mil contract this year. Not an easy or favorable trade market for the Bears at this point.

I think the Bears keep him and he'll play.

No you don't, you pay his 10 mil salary and thus increase his trade value to a team in need of a LB (Denver)

Toast88

Liked Posts:
What's the difference between extending Roquan and overpaying for free agents next year when you have a ton of cap space?

It's going to cost a premium to sign players to a 6-win team, if Poles indeed pulls out the massive spending spree that so many Bears fans are convinced he's going to carry out in the 2023 offseason.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
What's the difference between extending Roquan and overpaying for free agents next year when you have a ton of cap space?

It's going to cost a premium to sign players to a 6-win team, if Poles indeed pulls out the massive spending spree that so many Bears fans are convinced he's going to carry out in the 2023 offseason.
I'm honestly fine either way, but the difference to me is spending on positions of value, which isn't off ball LB

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let's also not forget this is the same Poles that said he traded Mack to Chargers in part to do right by Mack and trade him to a contender. Players will remember that is what he said and look to how he deals with Quan to determine if he was full of shit or not.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I've said all offseason that I would trade Smith and Quinn simply for more draft capital because this team has so many holes on it. If you're going to rebuild, do it right and tear it all down and maximize your trade assets. Quinn is still here so hopefully he starts off hot and then the Bears can move him to a contender for some draft picks.

Smith is a very good player that I would've moved around the draft time entirely to avoid a situation like this. Hard to get fair value for him when he's saying he wants to be traded. Yes, the Bears are going to have a ton of cap room next season but that doesn't mean you need to wastefully spend it all in an offseason and end right back up in cap hell. I don't like paying linebackers huge money as a team building philosophy but if he's the difference between potentially winning it all and not, you pay him. The Bears are not remotely close to that scenario right now so I'd trade him for what I can and embrace the suck for this season (and likely next).

I am surprised though that they wanted to backload the deal. It would seem like you'd take advantage of the abundance of cap room next season and front load the contract as much as possible but hey, what do I know?

Regardless, I will foolishly hope Poles can get a healthy return of draft capital for Smith and Quinn while avoiding overspending on non-premium positions while the rebuild is just getting started.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Doesn’t seem like Smith understands how negotiations work. He’s not a FA until after this season so the Bears really don’t have to do anything because he is already under contract. All the risk right now is with the Bears considering that Smith doesn’t play a premium position, there is a new D scheme being implemented, and this season isn’t about winning anyway.

The Bears’ offer is likely better than what he is currently being paid on the 5th year option, but of course it’s not going to be their best offer because right now it doesn’t have to be. The whole point right now is to see if Smith will bite on a new contract that will still pay him millions more than what he already has made on his rookie deal. The risk for Smith is injury of course so that’s why the Bears are dangling a carrot they really don’t need to.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
They've been having a field day with this topic on the score.