BREAKING NEWS: Roquan Smith Wants OUT!

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
I can’t lie, I’m losing faith in Poles right now. I’ve been trying to buy in to his vision of tear it down and rebuild but it’s beginning to look like he’s in over his head. Failing to build around a round QB with loads of potential. Leaving our O line to a bunch of scrubs to protect Fields. No WR. Now treating our defensive captain like this. I want to believe in this new front office but it’s hard to look at the team he has assembled and think we have gotten better. Damn shame.
first of all, poles/flus dont know if fields is the guy...spending a bunch of money to add talent when he may or may not be the guy is a big risk and in the event he is not the guy your on the hook for all the money spent at WR/TE/RB while finding a new guy. If fields proves to be the guy, poles has over 100 mill in cap space to truly give fields as many weapons as he needs.
As for the oline, i am a little disappointed that they did not spend more but again poles said from day 1 he will build via the draft. I think the oline would be in a much better situation if the bills didn't match the offer to keep bates but it is what it is.

as for roquan, he can say whatever he wants but he's under control for this year and the bears have the tag to keep him another year if they choose. Briggs requested a trade after his rookie contract vowing to never play another down for the bears and then signed an extension a year later...Poles works for the bears, his job to strike a deal that works for the bears.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
What's the difference between extending Roquan and overpaying for free agents next year when you have a ton of cap space?

It's going to cost a premium to sign players to a 6-win team, if Poles indeed pulls out the massive spending spree that so many Bears fans are convinced he's going to carry out in the 2023 offseason.
You have got Darnell Mooney and Jaylon Johnson extension eligible next off-season. The money can go very quickly, I don't really see use tying it up in Roquan Smith.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Wow you sure showed him
IDC about your thoughts in general. But it's important to make a distinction, when a poster claims they have no personal feelings on said subject one way or another but then make a personal attachment to the money aspect, intentional or not, it's a conflicting with their own opinion.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Let's also not forget this is the same Poles that said he traded Mack to Chargers in part to do right by Mack and trade him to a contender. Players will remember that is what he said and look to how he deals with Quan to determine if he was full of shit or not.
I look at these as different situations. I think what Poles did for Mack was the right thing to do. The new regime was ready to move on and they helped a respected player out. With the Smith situation, both parties want a deal to get done. But if nothing happens and a trade is the only option, Poles is not going to care if he’s shipping him to a good or bad team. It will all be about value.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
IDC about your thoughts in general. But it's important to make a distinction, when a poster claims they have no personal feelings on said subject one way or another but then make a personal attachment to the money aspect, intentional or not, it's a conflicting with their own opinion.
yes dan bernstein everyone knows "we" are not the bears. let people just use the language they feel comfortable using, we all got the point he was trying to make.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Let's also not forget this is the same Poles that said he traded Mack to Chargers in part to do right by Mack and trade him to a contender. Players will remember that is what he said and look to how he deals with Quan to determine if he was full of shit or not.
Khalil Mack has an agent and handles his shit professionally. Roquan Smith has no agent, has basically gone full Karen asking to speak to Ryan Poles' manager and is airing all his shit out to the media.

By giving in to this you set a precedent that's worse than what you set by not giving in.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've said all offseason that I would trade Smith and Quinn simply for more draft capital because this team has so many holes on it.
I think they explored trading Quinn, but who knows. Who also knows how the Roquan saga played out- whether or not he had an agent negotiating his deal before the draft or not...thats what I'm not understanding throughout this process.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I haven't read through entire thread yet, but the one thing I will say is that if they do decide to offload Roquan, it's just another hole they have to fill for this next season and then for the future. On a roster that already has a lot of holes and little depth.

There are a finite amount of draft picks. We can't keep saying, just spend a Day 1 or 2 pick on another OL, WR, 3-Tech, and now add off-ball LB to the list for a key spot on the defense. I guess it would depend on what they could get for trade compensation, but at some point you also need to retain your blue chip players rather than assuming you can find a replacement blue chip player on Day 2 of the draft for cheaper. It's not automatically that easy.

Having said that, I do understand the relative positional value and if they do move on, so be it. I'd prefer they find a way to keep him but it's not my job on the line to build the roster and manage the cap.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Robert Quinn is worth keeping around if they want to generate turnovers and give these rookie defensive backs a chance at making plays. I don't think the Bears want to tank this season entirely or risk getting caught in a Cycle of Death like the Lions have been in where a team never coalesces enough talent to get off the ground year after year.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
yes dan bernstein everyone knows "we" are not the bears. let people just use the language they feel comfortable using, we all got the point he was trying to make.
Fans take contracts personal all the time, as if it was their own dollars at stake. CCS has seen many a butthurt poster over various contracts over the years. . While some could be perhaps looked at as justified (usually in hindsight) it's simply an exercise in futility.

Liked Posts:
Does Seattle need an ILB? If It's that pressing of a situation it may not be a bad idea to inquire about Metcalf.

Both players seem unhappy where they're at and the Bears DEFINITELY need WR help.

IMO there were a lot of good 4-3 MIKE LBS in this past draft class too. I really wish Poles had snatched one up.

Rise

Liked Posts:
Allen Robinson should have been signed and Quan should have been traded at the draft.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Allen Robinson should have been signed and Quan should have been traded at the draft.
For what, though? That's the problem. He might not be worth very much.

Oh and I don't think Allen Robinson II wanted anything to do with the Bears anymore. Was not going to be as simple as "should have signed him", takes two to tango.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
LOL. You know the Bears are going to eff this up, right? They're fixing to prove why they're one of the worst organizations in football.

As of now, Roquan is arguably the best draft pick they've made in 8 years and they're going to lose him. Watch them trade him for a 3rd round pick that they'll turn around draft another bust with.

freddylamar

Liked Posts:
first of all, poles/flus dont know if fields is the guy...spending a bunch of money to add talent when he may or may not be the guy is a big risk and in the event he is not the guy your on the hook for all the money spent at WR/TE/RB while finding a new guy. If fields proves to be the guy, poles has over 100 mill in cap space to truly give fields as many weapons as he needs.
As for the oline, i am a little disappointed that they did not spend more but again poles said from day 1 he will build via the draft. I think the oline would be in a much better situation if the bills didn't match the offer to keep bates but it is what it is.

as for roquan, he can say whatever he wants but he's under control for this year and the bears have the tag to keep him another year if they choose. Briggs requested a trade after his rookie contract vowing to never play another down for the bears and then signed an extension a year later...Poles works for the bears, his job to strike a deal that works for the bears.
How would we know if Fields is the guy if he has no protection and no weapons? Say what you want but can you honestly say we have given Fields a fair chance to be a stand out player this year? I hope we don’t ruin this young man. I really wanted to like Poles but this is borderline the worst assembled team I have seen in my thirty plus years as a fan. Any more self sabotage of this team and we could be hearing from the league for failure to produce a competitive team, or outright tanking (I’m kidding off course). Very frustrating to have a new season around the corner and I’m already looking forward to next season.

Rise

Liked Posts:
For what, though? That's the problem. He might not be worth very much.

Oh and I don't think Allen Robinson II wanted anything to do with the Bears anymore. Was not going to be as simple as "should have signed him", takes two to tango.

Brand new regime. If they had made Robinson a priority and gave him the money he would be back. No good FA wr next year either, this was the best option.

I am not sure what Smith is worth, but I do know he was worth more then vs now. If they weren’t willing to commit to him they should have made the move.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Brand new regime. If they had made Robinson a priority and gave him the money he would be back. No good FA wr next year either, this was the best option.

I am not sure what Smith is worth, but I do know he was worth more then vs now. If they weren’t willing to commit to him they should have made the move.
I don't know, the Robinson returning thing hinges on what to many if's and stuff we can't possibly know. LA is a better football situation for him and its not like he's underpaid.

I also don't know if Roquan Smith is worth any more or less then than he is now. If anything his value might spike if someone gets hurt or shows up fat and out of shape to camp. And even if he is worth less, we could talking him going from being worth a third round pick for a fourth round pick. In that scenario its not worth trading him at all.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Who else is looking for an extension this year that is on the same level as smith? Might there be an interest in a player swap there?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Who else is looking for an extension this year that is on the same level as smith? Might there be an interest in a player swap there?
Those guys all re-signed a week or two ago. And it was a pipe dream anyways, nobody in their right mind is giving up Deebo Samuel or DK Metcalf for Roquan Smith.

The Dolphins are apprently trying to trade away Preston Williams and Lynn Bowden Jr., that's an intriguing pair to add since N'Keal Harry looks pretty hurt and the situation with everyone other than Darnell Mooney looks pretty dire.