Starters to play less snaps??

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:

Thoughts?
Makes some sense considering the short week. I expect there to be a lot of guys who do play a lot of snaps though - Gordon, VJJ, Jenkins, especially. I was hoping Fields get a full half as well but that seems doubtful now

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
We see high profile injuries in the preseason every year. So far this year Zach Wilson won’t be able to start the season. If fields goes down cause the coach keeps him in a whole half the fans-even the ones that want him to play the whole game- would go nuts.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
As long as they get enough snaps in the preseason to be ready for the regular season, it shouldn’t matter. Now with only 3 preseason games, there isn’t really a full “dress rehearsal” game anymore. At least not that all teams agree on yet. Might make it less interesting for the casual fan, but there will still be lots of things to watch.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Makes sense to me. Wait until the 3rd preseason game and give them a half. Rest week 4 for most starters

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Doing it opposite of how it's usually done is odd.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Makes sense to me. Wait until the 3rd preseason game and give them a half. Rest week 4 for most starters
No, all starters and backups will rest week 4 since there no longer is a week 4.

Week 3 is going to be like previous week 4s, backups trying to get good film to show teams when they are probably cut.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
No, all starters and backups will rest week 4 since there no longer is a week 4.

Week 3 is going to be like previous week 4s, backups trying to get good film to show teams when they are probably cut.
Ahhh - I completely forgot. Damn, yeah that does seem a bit strange that the starters are only going to get 10 snaps or so. I would think at least a couple of drives?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Ahhh - I completely forgot. Damn, yeah that does seem a bit strange that the starters are only going to get 10 snaps or so. I would think at least a couple of drives?
It is strange. The only thing I can figure is that Flus is still worried about the offensive line protection and would rather give time for them to gel, especially since they would not be showing anything exotic. Why risk injury to Fields?

But that is just my guess.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Flus said young guys competing for a spot like Jenkins will likely play more snaps.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Flus said young guys competing for a spot like Jenkins will likely play more snaps.
Makes the most sense on a short week. Combined with players missing multiple practices/time with various issues.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah if Sam Mustipher gets injured that will definitely torpedo our super bowl dream for 2022.

That would at least FORCE action to find a replacement at any cost. All last year, and now in preseason Musty continues to stink it up and put Fields in danger and discomfort. Even once Lucas Patrick's broken thumb heals, Musty is still the next up with Doug Kramer on IR. This is the most terrifying concern for the team TBH. Fields needs to shake off the ghosts and be more comfortable in the pocket. He hasn't been able to trust his OL yet.

Dunno if there's any other UDFAs or even a half-average backup C out there to be had?? I don't follow the player market as much as some of you guys. Hope there's something out there. Patrick knows the offense and is a great plug n play fix, but depth is gone.

Despite what Olin claims, Mustipher will continue to be a liability unless he hits the roids and/or learns how to get away with Green Bay's patented "Lobster Block" technique.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
RE: playing in preseason, I'd prefer they use the complete OL and give Fields max protect needed for his practice plays. Can shuffle OL around once he's back in bubblewrap on sideline. He goes down, season's f'd.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
It’s cause we will score 3 TD’s in 10 plays.
Well, it IS training camp.

Once the training (camp) wheels come off, he will get up to 10 TDs in 10 plays, but a lot of that relies on the other players. You can't throw every single pass into the end zone and you can't make the WRs catch every ball, can you?