**Official** Training Camp News & Scheisse [Football Talk Only]

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That db was right with him then slowly drifted off just enough to bait fields. He was ready to break on the ball as soon as fields would look at esb. That's why you kept seeing him flinch in that direction
Also, in addition to the CB, it looked like a LB was coming across to jump the route if he threw it. #40something. I can't tell who it is from the clip.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure I consider that wide open. The db behind esb was clearly trying to bait fields into that throw. I think he probably could get the throw in there, but the db thought he had just enough room to make a play on the ball there
The right throw was the sideline. Easy throw for a guy like Fields. DB if flat footed and Fields can throw it at the marker and give him an addition yard of space if he likes.
throw.png

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Then right throw was the sideline. Easy throw for a guy like Fields.
View attachment 21850
Right, but the cb is reading fields eyes, every time he looked back down to esb that cb would start to close the gap. I agree he can probably get it in there to the sideline, but it certainly wasn't as simple as some are making it seem.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well guess what? This is what Poles has decided to give him to throw to and the smart play is to take the easy 1st down which he wasn't even able to make that read.
If you take people off ignore and scroll up, I believe several posters have summarized the various ways you are wrong.

Thanks.

Pretzel Logic

“I have forced myself to contradict myself "
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Pittsburgh Pirates
  1. Philadelphia 76ers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Pittsburgh Penguins
Solid preseason outing for Fields. One drive, field goal. Build on it.

Thought the rebuilding of this team as a whole continued last night. I hope that they can avoid injuries headed into the last preseason game against the Browns and are ready week 1 for the Niners.

Onwards.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
That db was right with him then slowly drifted off just enough to bait fields. He was ready to break on the ball as soon as fields would look at esb. That's why you kept seeing him flinch in that direction
Luckily in this world the ball can be thrown much faster than a person can run....LOL

It's such an easy 1st down and not sure how you can't see that.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Right, but the cb is reading fields eyes, every time he looked back down to esb that cb would start to close the gap. I agree he can probably get it in there to the sideline, but it certainly wasn't as simple as some are making it seem.
Football is hard. Still the right throw.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm not sure I consider that wide open. The db behind esb was clearly trying to bait fields into that throw. I think he probably could get the throw in there, but the db thought he had just enough room to make a play on the ball there
To be perfectly honest, I'm not going to hold onto criticism on this one. The route had his #1 receiver going to the end zone. He went with the gutsy move to hang up 7 right there.

Am I peeved that the drive ended in 3 points? Yes. Am I upset? No. Fields has every reason to look for the touchdown and I'm glad he tried for it. Fields has more guts than any QB we've started since Cutler.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
To be perfectly honest, I'm not going to hold onto criticism on this one. The route had his #1 receiver going to the end zone. He went with the gutsy move to hang up 7 right there.

Am I peeved that the drive ended in 3 points? Yes. Am I upset? No. Fields has every reason to look for the touchdown and I'm glad he tried for it. Fields has more guts than any QB we've started since Cutler.
1st and goal inside the 10 yard line would be nice as well.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Disagree. He points to ESB in an attempt to fool the D into thinking he is going their and he had Mooney. Just needed a slightly better pass. On 2nd and 4, those are the chances I have no problem with him taking. The bigger issues was the 3rd down play where he rushed things as he got fooled by a fake blitz.

Also wouldn't say ESB is wide open. The defender is 3 yards off but clearly watchin Fields and sees him pointing at ESB. It is a question of how fast Fields can get the ball in there and how fast the defender can close.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Disagree. He points to ESB in an attempt to fool the D into thinking he is going their and he had Mooney. Just needed a slightly better pass. On 2nd and 4, those are the chances I have no problem with him taking. The bigger issues was the 3rd down play where he rushed things as he got fooled by a fake blitz.

Also wouldn't say ESB is wide open. The defender is 3 yards off but clearly watchin Fields and sees him pointing at ESB. It is a question of how fast Fields can get the ball in there and how fast the defender can close.
This is also true but that needed to be a perfect throw well downfield. He locked onto Mooney and called it a day when he shouldn't have. Better to get 3 more tries if it's not a slam dunk. Just because he made a decision and steered his guy, doesn't make it the better one.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The right throw was the sideline. Easy throw for a guy like Fields. DB if flat footed and Fields can throw it at the marker and give him an addition yard of space if he likes.
View attachment 21850

That's the right throw if it is 3rd and 4 IMO. On 2nd and 4, I think it is perfectly fine for Fields to take that shot of squeezing it in there for a TD especially in a preseason game. You are trying to figure out your limits and what throws you can make.

I would be more concerned if he did not see ESB at all but he clearly saw him and made the conscious decision to try for the TD. Part of the preseason is for Fields and Getsy to figure out each other and whether Getsy is going to like that Fields went for the TD on 2nd and 4 (ie knowing a miss means a manageable 3rd down) or if Getsy is going to want him to take the ESB throw. If it is the latter then that is easy enough for Getsy to highlight.

This is also true but that needed to be a perfect throw well downfield. He locked onto Mooney and called it a day when he shouldn't have. Better to get 3 more tries if it's not a slam dunk. Just because he made a decision and steered his guy, doesn't make it the better one.

He didn't lock onto Mooney as he pointed to ESB. Again just think it is preseason and he took a chance knowing he would have a manageable 3rd down. There is an argument to check it down there and there is an argument to go for it. It is up to him and Getsy to work out which they prefer given the down, distance and difficulty of the throw.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's the right throw if it is 3rd and 4 IMO. On 2nd and 4, I think it is perfectly fine for Fields to take that shot of squeezing it in there for a TD especially in a preseason game. You are trying to figure out your limits and what throws you can make.

I would be more concerned if he did not see ESB at all but he clearly saw him and made the conscious decision to try for the TD. Part of the preseason is for Fields and Getsy to figure out each other and whether Getsy is going to like that Fields went for the TD on 2nd and 4 (ie knowing a miss means a manageable 3rd down) or if Getsy is going to want him to take the ESB throw. If it is the latter then that is easy enough for Getsy to highlight.
Mooney wasn't open and the toss looked like a throw away. Late, high and OB. Never had a chance. Fields is getting there but still making it harder than he needs too. Even the best don't see everything and make mistakes but, in this case, the result points to the correct decision.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ohh you guys are overanalyzing another preseason play

Is this what we are going to do for the next 3 weeks until the regular season starts?
Hey, don't stop me and Remi. We're rollin' with FOOTBALL TALK!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Mooney wasn't open and the toss looked like a throw away. Late, high and OB. Never had a chance. Fields is getting there but still making it harder than he needs too. Even the best don't see everything and make mistakes but, in this case, the result points to the correct decision.

Nah disagree. Look at Mooney again. He actually still has about 1.5-2 yards of space in the back of the end zone. If he had taken that space then he can jump and make that catch. Going forward he needs to take that route to the back of the end zone which would also create more space between him and the underneath defender. But again, I leave it up to Getsy to work out whether he prefers Fields take that chance or not as that is really all that matters ie what he and the coaches agree is the right call in that situation.