Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah if the Bears tag him, then they obviously have no intention of signing him long term and just want a couple productive years out of him while they find his replacement in the draft.
I don't think tagging and signing long term are mutually exclusive. I think Smith should have got something done this year while Poles was still at the table. Taking a bit less than you want is like an insurance policy that guarantees you generational wealth. It puts all the risk on the Bear. As Remi has pointed out numerous times, that has value.

It seems some want to burn both sides of that candle. Insurance policies aren't free.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I don't think tagging and signing long term are mutually exclusive. I think Smith should have got something done this year while Poles was still at the table. Taking a bit less than you want is like an insurance policy that guarantees you generational wealth. It puts all the risk on the Bear for the next year or 2. As Remi has pointed out numerous times, that has value.

It seems some want to burn both sides of that candle. Insurance policies aren't free.
I just don't think they would give him the franchise if they want him long term. They'd be paying him likely an equivalent amount to have him for multiple years instead of just one year. It would lead me to believe they like his quality of play but think he is replaceable and just need one more draft to find that guy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I just don't think they would give him the franchise if they want him long term. They'd be paying him likely an equivalent amount to have him for multiple years instead of just one year. It would lead me to believe they like his quality of play but think he is replaceable and just need one more draft to find that guy.
If they want to keep him they may have to. He's a FA after this season. If you want to continue to negotiate exclusively, you need to tag him. It's not really a choice.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yeah if the Bears tag him, then they obviously have no intention of signing him long term and just want a couple productive years out of him while they find his replacement in the draft.

Not necessarily. Players get tagged and traded. Players play on a tag and get signed the next year. It’s just another method of team control of a valuable player for what won’t be a prohibitive number.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Not necessarily. Players get tagged and traded. Players play on a tag and get signed the next year. It’s just another method of team control of a valuable player for what won’t be a prohibitive number.

This. Especially trying to gauge a player's value in a new system altogether.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
If they sod it too late and it's not firmly established, we'll see guys slipping and sod coming up in clumps... again.
IDK why they just don't field turf it and call it a day. It's not like the Bears have won any super bowls due to natural grass being on the field.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Their defense was shit last year. So probably not far. Vic's defenses in Denver were hardly impressive.
Losing Von Miller hurt them but they replaced him with Randy Gregory in the offseason so having him and B.Chubb, who was also hurt for most of the year, will be a huge help with that defensive backfield that's loaded with big names.