**Official** Training Camp News & Scheisse [Football Talk Only]

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
It may be because the Bears this year are not going to use a U tight end this year moving to more pro set with a FB, like maybe the 9ers.
This O doesn't really call for a move TE. Given the focus on the run game, it calls for someone who can block. You can't run outside zone if your TE is not a good blocker

Because he can't block. You are not going to get a lot of run in this system if you can't block the outside zone. Even when Kittle is not catching a lot of balls, he adds tremendous value because he is an elite run blocker.

I agree, but I’d like to add that I see them using a pass blocking WR as the big slot or U role. I still think they’d why they traded with NE for Harry and what they really like about Pringle. So, instead of a U TE, I see them using a WR. Again, exactly what is the difference? Good luck figuring that out.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I agree, but I’d like to add that I see them using a pass blocking WR as the big slot or U role. I still think they’d why they traded with NE for Harry and what they really like about Pringle. So, instead of a U TE, I see them using a WR. Again, exactly what is the difference? Good luck figuring that out.
Depends on how often the Bears use Harry in that role, plus they can use him wide also, which you can't do with Horstead

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
Depends on how often the Bears use Harry in that role, plus they can use him wide also, which you can't do with Horstead
I fully and completely agree. I only hope the best for Horstead, but his lack of blocking was his ticket out.

I think both Harry and Pringle being hurt for training camp cramps their ability to use them as much as they’d have liked. Nevertheless, with ESB’s emergence as a decent X, Harry may be slowly phased into the slot to allow for some truly nasty jumbo sets out of a single TE look.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well, since the right side is not nailed down yet, and the starting C has not played a down in the preseason yet, TBD for the regular season. Now the guys who did play most of the first half against the Seahawks allowed 0 sacks, 0 pressures as an entire unit, I would say they did fine.

BTW it was you who called out the Bears for moving on from Daniels, who you called one of our two best offensive linemen. The same Daniels who has totally sucked for the Steelers. So, let's not move the goal posts here, at least try to stay on tract.
I also stated that after they signed Reif, that changed things a lot.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I also stated that after they signed Reif, that changed things a lot.
For right now Borom is the starter and Reiff is running with the twos. See if that changes in the next three weeks. So, TBD.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
For right now Borom is the starter and Reiff is running with the twos. See if that changes in the next three weeks. So, TBD.
Justin Fields currently has one of the highest pressure rates in the preseason, see if that changes in the next three weeks.......

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think the difference is Harry and Pringle force you to put a CB in who they can block effectively. If you try and put a LB or S on them then they are good enough to win in the pass game. By contrast, Horstad doesn't force a CB and more likely results in LB or S which he hasn't proven he can block effectively. Nor are his receiving skills necessarily great enough to consistently win passing in that situation.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
But Patrick is the C so you going to pay Daniels 8.8m to be a backup C? Then at RG, what happens if Jenkins beats him out at RG? then you going to be paying him 8.8m and Whitehair 12m for one of them to sit on the bench.
Valid points, I would have cut whitehair.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Valid points, I would have cut whitehair.

The problem is Whitehair costs more to cut than keep. His cap hit is 12.3m this year but if you cut him, it would have been 12.6m before March 20, 2022 and now it is 16m because 3.5m of this year's salary became guaranteed after that date. So you would have to pay him or take a huge cap hit anyway so choosing Daniel over him means you would be spending either 22-26m on the two of them. Just doesn't make sense unless they are both clear cut starters.

Last edited: