Guys, Fields honestly was not good

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
He gets a pass. Weather conditions… Great 49ers defense. 1st game in the system. Limited WR depth, etc.

That said, he looked bad except for scrambling playing backyard football. And that type of play is not sustainable. He just does not look comfortable going through his reads and finding open receivers. This must change if he is going to be a franchise QB.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
? under Nagy and rookie fields that was a blowout, this Fields did what he needed to do. 6 different WRs got the ball in horrid conditions and he made plays. Get out of here with this shit

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
First half he looked bad. Second half he looked good.

That’s what you call a young QB adjusting. You can see how dynamic he can be, it’s just consistency that is needed at this point. Hopefully that comes in time.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
He gets a pass. Weather conditions… Great 49ers defense. 1st game in the system. Limited WR depth, etc.

That said, he looked bad except for scrambling playing backyard football. And that type of play is not sustainable. He just does not look comfortable going through his reads and finding open receivers. This must change if he is going to be a franchise QB.
You're right. It's not going to last.

BlackRainbow experience:

1. He's got the next 4 games to look competent - like NO MORE 100-ish games competent.

2. By week 12 he looks like an AVERAGE NFL starter.

...if not, Poles is going to turn on him. I guarantee it.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
At this point, he's playing like a 2nd year QB first game in a new system.

He got into more of a rhythm in the 2nd half.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Maybe not the best game but beating the 49ers...something Rodgers cant do., is huge. As you mentioned, new receiving corp. Terrible conditions. And potentially one, if not the best defense in the NFL.

And while the scramble drill isn't a sustainable offense, I hope it was clear to the staff that Fields is overall more effective abd able to think more clearly when you incorporate his mobility and the defense has to account for that. I think it became obvious that the 49ers DLine was getting frustrated with him escaping and it tired them out. This edge goes a long way in helping Fields be less concerned with the pass rush when he knows he can evade it.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
No crown yet but Fields just beat an extremely talented defense with a running game average crumbs per carry. Defense did a fantastic job. Dominique Robinson is going to be a beast.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
You're right. It's not going to last.

BlackRainbow experience:

1. He's got the next 4 games to look competent - like NO MORE 100-ish games competent.

2. By week 12 he looks like an AVERAGE NFL starter.

...if not, Poles is going to turn on him. I guarantee it.
Interesting, last year you determined him by wins and yards but now….

Rise

Liked Posts:
He played a great defense today with a scrub cast and won! Wtf. If he looks like trash against bad and average defenses and you can clearly see open wr than ill listen.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
He made enough plays in the 2nd half to make me feel slightly better going into week 2, but there's no question that he needs to do a much better job inside the pocket finding his receivers downfield. He's still holding onto the ball too long. Getsy did him no favors in that first half, though. A lot of unimaginative playcalling—not enough motion and misdirection or challenging the perimeter of the 49'ers defense.

Kurtosis

Liked Posts:
He made enough plays in the 2nd half to make me feel slightly better going into week 2, but there's no question that he needs to do a much better job inside the pocket finding his receivers downfield. He's still holding onto the ball too long. Getsy did him no favors in that first half, though. A lot of unimaginative playcalling—not enough motion and misdirection or challenging the perimeter of the 49'ers defense.
I thought the playcalling in the second half was night and day better. That’s what they need to be doing with him until the line gels and can protect him better.

I think he’ll be getting the ball out sooner as he adjusts and grows in the offense.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Listen I’ll be the first to call him a bust if that’s what he is. But the Bears did everything possible to make him look horrible. They got the worst coaching candidate in recent memory whos defensive minded, did not add any good Olineman to one of the worst lines in the league and he’s out there passing to devin Hester and Rasheed Davis talent level receivers. He might be a bust but for fucks sake it’s hard to grade the guy

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Watched it again. Think he was fine given the conditions. He held the ball too long but mainly because guys were not open. He actually did go thru progressions but thought issue was once no one was open he sat there instead of getting on the move.

What changed in the 2nd half is he went thru reads and then moved the pocket if nothing was there initially buying time for the big play. Playcalling in first half was also trash and I kept screaming for them to do more QB runs and move the pocket. They were ultraconservative.

Still a lot to clean up and that Int was just trash but made the plays he had to in order to win.

Last edited: