Would you ever move out of the United States?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Have you ever thought about leaving the US and moving permanently to a foreign country? Inflation and another recession is coming as long with a possible food shortage.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Probably not permanently, and not for the reasons you mentioned, but we've talked about living abroad for 2-3 month stints in different countries after our daughter is off to college. Nothing set in stone but definitely a possibility.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Absolutely have thought about it. Although, not for the reasons you stated, as a recession in the US will be felt globally

But definitely working on getting dual citizenship with the EU

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Well, using inflation and food shortages as a reason to become an expat is fairly short-sighted as both of those things are presently a worldwide problem. I would imagine recessions would also be coming to other countries as well, specifically Canada, W. Europe, Australia, and Japan.

That said, there is at least one poster here who has used his and his spouses military service to currently live in another country and they seem to love it. I also know another fella who has moved to Portugal recently and he feels that his quality of life has immensely improved.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
OP better move somewhere with good internet for posting youtube videos with no original thoughts attached.

If we don't have a healthy supply of GenZ kids who send videos with no context, we could very well lose the next war.

Its a major concern of mine.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
OP better move somewhere with good internet for posting youtube videos with no original thoughts attached.

If we don't have a healthy supply of GenZ kids who send videos with no context, we could very well lose the next war.

Its a major concern of mine.

If you got a basement with wifi I can help you out and relieve your worries.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I'd consider moving to an island country if I could buy a house next to the beach. Otherwise, I'm good in Las Vegas for now. The only way I'd move permanently anytime soon is if the US became a theocratic authoritarian regime in which case, get me out of here. I have zero interest living under christofascists.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, moving will help you avoid inflation...what fantasy land do you live in? Where are you going to move, Switzerland? Pretty sure you wouldn't qualify for a work visa, more or less permanent residency.

And what food shortage? Did farmers suddenly stop producing? We don't live in a place that is dependent on foreign imports to feed our populous -- quite the contrary, we have been the largest food exporter in the world for quite some time.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Probably not permanently, and not for the reasons you mentioned, but we've talked about living abroad for 2-3 month stints in different countries after our daughter is off to college. Nothing set in stone but definitely a possibility.
Same deal here. And the more likely option we have discussed is living abroad for a few years in retirement. That's a long ways off and a ton of different variables (health, money, family situation, etc).

At this stage in my life I have enough money, if I was single with no responsibilities, traveling for a year or two and not working sounds like a dream

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah, moving will help you avoid inflation...what fantasy land do you live in? Where are you going to move, Switzerland? Pretty sure you wouldn't qualify for a work visa, more or less permanent residency.

And what food shortage? Did farmers suddenly stop producing? We don't live in a place that is dependent on foreign imports to feed our populous -- quite the contrary, we have been the largest food exporter in the world for quite some time.

Hey buddy, my McChicken was 1.89 more than it was 3 years ago.

Clearly I'm starving to death.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yall Yankees move out. No more food shortage. Drips

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'd consider moving to an island country if I could buy a house next to the beach. Otherwise, I'm good in Las Vegas for now. The only way I'd move permanently anytime soon is if the US became a theocratic authoritarian regime in which case, get me out of here. I have zero interest living under christofascists.
Thailand you could and it’d be really affordable. Quality of life is pretty darn good too(for those retiring with money)

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Thailand you could and it’d be really affordable. Quality of life is pretty darn good too(for those retiring with money)
Same with South Africa. Land/property/help/food are cheap. Only things that are comparably expensive are booze, smokes, and gas (which is super high).

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

It'll effect different countries differently but yes it'll be bad everywhere but a studio apartment in the Philippines or Thailand isn't going to cost $2000 a month.

The heat, war in Ukraine, and other factors are rumored to cause food shortages but who knows.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You don't get paid the same $2000 (just for argument) a month when you live in an economy where the cost of living is less than the purveyor's home country. If that were the case, everyone would work remotely in Venezuela, like kings. If I transferred to Bern, for example, my current pay would be 14.8% below the CoL adjustment compared to the locals. They would have to pay me more to live there. Similarly, if you move to a place where the CoL is minimal (let's say, the DRC), there is no way someone will pay you US wages, because that would make you one of the highest earners in the country by percentage.

Even in the US, companies have cost of living adjustments (I make 20%+ more than a contemporary living in Alabama, for example).

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
It'll effect different countries differently but yes it'll be bad everywhere but a studio apartment in the Philippines or Thailand isn't going to cost $2000 a month.

The heat, war in Ukraine, and other factors are rumored to cause food shortages but who knows.
I have a friend that lives in pattaya, Thailand in an apartment on the beach and pays like $350/month rent. It’s insane.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Water is going to become the most valuable resource on this planet.

Move yourself somewhere the weather isn't regularly destructive, and the water is clean/available/cheap-enough.

I keep seeing this surge of migration to warmer climates made artificially temperate.

And I keep wondering where the fuck all these people think their water is gonna come from?

If we were smart, we'd be building a massive water retention/filtration/cleansing/pumping system which could be activated every single time a flood happens or a drought happens.

Remember those Texas flood waters? Well they didn't flood Texas, they put out a fire in California.

It'd take a shitload of energy which is why you power it off brand new Nuclear plants, dozens of them across the U.S. that make up a smart/redundant grid.

Eh, fuck do I know, go live in the Dominican Republic.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
You don't get paid the same $2000 (just for argument) a month when you live in an economy where the cost of living is less than the purveyor's home country. If that were the case, everyone would work remotely in Venezuela, like kings. If I transferred to Bern, for example, my current pay would be 14.8% below the CoL adjustment compared to the locals. They would have to pay me more to live there. Similarly, if you move to a place where the CoL is minimal (let's say, the DRC), there is no way someone will pay you US wages, because that would make you one of the highest earners in the country by percentage.

Even in the US, companies have cost of living adjustments (I make 20%+ more than a contemporary living in Alabama, for example).
That’s why you work in California and live in a trash can to save up money to retire in a nice and cheap place that you can’t afford to work in!