Smarter people than us talking about Justin Fields

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I never said that. I’ve said several times by weeks 8-9 the light should turn on if it doesn’t then I’ll be concerned.

When he’s pla7ing against blue chip talent with b,c and d level skill players he’s going to have games that stink.
I said: “Can you admit he may actually just be bad?”

You said: “ You won’t know either way until you put him in the best possible position to succeed”

So now you’re saying we just need to wait until weeks 8-9?

What is it? So can we tell this year? Even with the bad roster?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I said: “Can you admit he may actually just be bad?”

You said: “ You won’t know either way until you put him in the best possible position to succeed”

So now you’re saying we just need to wait until weeks 8-9?

What is it? So can we tell this year? Even with the bad roster?
He’s not going up against top tier defenses every week is what I mean. So yes, halfway through the season things should start slowing down for him in this new offense. He may not put up huge numbers with this roster but you should see improvements

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
He’s not going up against top tier defenses every week is what I mean. So yes, halfway through the season things should start slowing down for him in this new offense. He may not put up huge numbers with this roster but you should see improvements
Perfectly fair.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Lol maybe wait until year 2 at least on a rebuild

Can't. Internet. Need instant gratification.

Does one of their games get canceled for some reason?

Lack of interest.

So no matter how Fields plays this year we can’t make any judgments because of the lack of supporting talent?

Depends, do you want to make accurate judgments or are you looking for a scapegoat? If you're just looking for a scapegoat like most Bears fans by all means judge away.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
We’ve covered this. In almost every case when a team drafts a quarterback they have somewhat of an established OL or a playmaker at te or receiver. If they don’t in year 1 one, they will year 2.

I can’t think of a team who hasn’t done that. Hell even Christian Ponder got weapons.
I forgot Ponder had Harvin in addition to AD

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Can't. Internet. Need instant gratification.

Lack of interest.

Depends, do you want to make accurate judgments or are you looking for a scapegoat? If you're just looking for a scapegoat like most Bears fans by all means judge away.
So we can’t tell anything this year then?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Not really the point.

The point is enough people thought there were holes in his game that he got skipped several times. Some Bears fans act like they drafted a generational QB prospect. They didn’t.
This is a ridiculous take. Russell Wilson & Joe Montana went in the 3rd round. Mahomes went in almost the same position as Fields. Big Ben went 11th. Watson went 12th. Marino was 27th. Rodgers was 24th. Brees went 32nd. Chargers even let him walk.

Difference with the Bears is they always, ALWAYS, draft/get a QB and think the job is done. There's a reason that this team fails at QB every single time, and it isn't because they're drafting the wrong guys each time.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This is a ridiculous take. Russell Wilson & Joe Montana went in the 3rd round. Mahomes went in almost the same position as Fields. Big Ben went 11th. Watson went 12th. Marino was 27th. Rodgers was 24th. Brees went 32nd. Chargers even let him walk.

Difference with the Bears is they always, ALWAYS, draft/get a QB and think the job is done. There's a reason that this team fails at QB every single time, and it isn't because they're drafting the wrong guys each time.

So who was the right guy that they’ve drafted?

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

I wouldn't say we can't tell anything but even if we had a good offense you wouldn't know everything. It is only his 2nd year.
If we had an offense last year yes we should know a lot by this year (assuming Poles didn't fire all the talent), not 100% but we would know if we should keep looking.

It's really odd that you seem to be defending NEVER having an offense especially given the rule changes. What team has that god tier QB without an offense you base your desires on?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
So who was the right guy that they’ve drafted?
I think maybe he was alluding to systemic issues within the organization. They usually get that playmaker a season or 2 late along with an offensive scheme that is tailored for "bear weather"

fridges fatboys

Liked Posts:
Best take from the two videos is Tim Jenkins who if you listen to closely was basically saying that the problem could be that Getsy's problem maybe that he hasn't adjusted his teaching concepts and complexity for what he was teaching to Fields is the same as he was teaching Rodgers. Seems like it makes sense to me. They need to teach Justin like a new QB, not a 20 year veteran.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think maybe he was alluding to systemic issues within the organization. They usually get that playmaker a season or 2 late along with an offensive scheme that is tailored for "bear weather"
His exact words:

There's a reason that this team fails at QB every single time, and it isn't because they're drafting the wrong guys each time.

If it isn’t because they’re drafting the wrong guys then obviously he thinks we’ve had one. I want to know who it is?

And yeah, I completely agree with you on the systemic failures. But overall they’ve drafted terrible too. (JF1 not included since thats an incomplete at this time)

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Or they're other team's 4th billed as our 1 and then we get a whole one of them.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I know most of us are experts that can't wait to get our hands on the all-22 to break it down. And some of you take a really deep dive into tape and then make threads pining for Mitch Trubisky. Others have seen 12 starts, watched every second of the all-22 and have been deeming Fields a bust since his first snap. But sometimes, I think we should look elsewhere for different perspectives.

Here are 2 videos to watch...

The Tim Jenkins video is one the more informative interviews I have seen. Great stuff. He really has a talent.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I completely disagree with this theory that he has to be in the best possible position to succeed before you know if he’s good or not. Professional athletes succeed all the time on shitty teams.
Bad coaching and constant coaching changes can ruin QBs but that does not seem to be Fields fate at this point. I think/hope he has the right coaching to grow and agree with you that the the talent around him should not be the reason he does not work out.
Bad coaches and systems can ruin the best of players. If he does have good coaching then he will show what he has and I think we will see him shine. Let him take his lumps and grow this year.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Not from what has transpired week 1 and week 2 imo. Week 1 was a weather shitshow, week 2 was "9 passes before garbage time".

For me, throwing 9 passes isn't enough to get ANY QB going, especially one who is making his 12th start. I don't know, man. I think people are getting way too far ahead of themselves with Fields. We don't know what we have in him yet, and we won't know when games are called like Sunday night's game.

You can pick on mistakes that Fields' made, but I don't even think you can just say "he had a bad game". He didn't even have a game. Lol. Like he might as well not have even started that game with how it was called.

We need a MUCH larger sample size to say what we have with Fields. We'll have a better idea at the end of the season. We'll have an even better idea next season once we have some more pieces in place, and he's had a full season in this offense.

I know that won't be popular with dudes that have been saying he's a bust since we drafted him, or since he played Cleveland, or since his 3rd start, 10th start, 12th start, whatever. But the reality is, it's going to take more time than you're comfortable with. Better get used to it.