The official “we’re taking the year off in style” tank thread

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
I’m really liking what I see from Nolan Allen and I think he gets the proverbial cup of coffee in the bigs this season.

He’s arguably the best skating defenseman prospect we have and isn’t a push over. High end he’s a first pairing guy who is Korchinski’s security blanket, more realistic he’s one of the guys on a shut down pair and floor he’s a third pairing guy who isn’t gonna look bad. This was a blown kiss from the old regime that might actually land.

In the Kurvers tournament, Reichel had a fantastic second game with four assists with two being “wow” level. He can shoot, but he has excellent skills setting up.

This young defenseman core is starting to look promising. You have to throw out the Mitchell’s and Beaudin’s and give these guys the minutes.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I’m really liking what I see from Nolan Allen and I think he gets the proverbial cup of coffee in the bigs this season.

He’s arguably the best skating defenseman prospect we have and isn’t a push over. High end he’s a first pairing guy who is Korchinski’s security blanket, more realistic he’s one of the guys on a shut down pair and floor he’s a third pairing guy who isn’t gonna look bad. This was a blown kiss from the old regime that might actually land.

In the Kurvers tournament, Reichel had a fantastic second game with four assists with two being “wow” level. He can shoot, but he has excellent skills setting up.

This young defenseman core is starting to look promising. You have to throw out the Mitchell’s and Beaudin’s and give these guys the minutes.
Yes…

Jones will be here likely.

Allen…Korchinski…Kaiser…

That’s better than a decent start to integrity back there. Those guys want to dominate.

Vlasic we will see…big long guy…might end up in the mix and having some value but he’s still in the awkward phase of his physical development.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
And this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Mac deserves every penny of that contract. Love watching him play

KBIB

Liked Posts:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can’t say he doesn’t deserve it.

But I blame the Oilers for setting the bar with McDavid. Elite player, yes, but no Cups before they gave him 12.5.

Cups matter more then scoring titles.
It’s McJesus though and it’s what he is worth in free agency.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
It’s McJesus though and it’s what he is worth in free agency.
Idk about that.

He deserved a raise but not highest paid player. Those two contacts crippled the Oilers into putting out a garbage team during his prime years Altho Drai is a bargain.

Kane and Toews didn’t get the big contracts until after what, two Cups?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Idk about that.

He deserved a raise but not highest paid player. Those two contacts crippled the Oilers into putting out a garbage team during his prime years Altho Drai is a bargain.

What about the guys in Washington who got paid before a cup and eventually won one?

I don’t get what you don’t understand? You play out your rookie contract and then your pay is only based on your value.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
30 teams WISH they could pay Connor McDavid 12.5M!

HSBOB

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Idk about that.

Even though MacKinnon might be the best two-way center in the league @27 and is coming off a huge performance in a cup winning run,I'm still surprised by the AAV. He said how badly he wanted to finish his career in Colorado just a day earlier so I guess I was suspecting somewhere closer to 10-11M BUT finish his career in Colorado he will with full NMC throughout the eight years and 85M of the 100M will be paid in the form of bonuses making a buyout at any point worthless....

KBIB

Liked Posts:
What about the guys in Washington who got paid before a cup and eventually won one?

I don’t get what you don’t understand? You play out your rookie contract and then your pay is only based on your value.
One guy got paid, and at the time it wasn’t the limit you can give one player the way McD’s was. Throw Drais contact into the equation, that was a 20 million dollar cap hit for a team that didn’t have the luxury of cheap elc’s at key positions to make the machine work,

Why are the Av’s in a good spot right now? Because MacKinnon took a discount so the Av’s can stock the team. Sakic had cap space to burn for years. A team on the cusp of greatness rarely had that luxury.

And as much as I like McDavid, they don’t get out the first round last year if it wasn’t for Ceci and Keith. Keith especially was vintage Keith outside of one bone headed play.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Idk about that.

Kane and Toews also signed their 1st non-ELC in the previous CBA. That, much like Ovi's deal, has to be taken into consideration.

Top-tier players seem to want to get the max and duration ASAFP since the Keith/Hossa-like retirement deals are not even an option anymore, and that's what the market is bearing. Good GM's will adapt

That being said though, you're right; deals like that without careful consideration can cripple a franchise much like Bowman the Beancounter's later deals. A good GM has to take the team in it's entirety, and if you do what you said: give 2 guys a fuck-ton of money, you're left with scraps for the rest of the team. You have to balance paying guys market value with also having enough left over to ice a competitive team.

Besides, after how many 1OA picks? I'm hoping Edmonton doesn't come close to another cup until McJesus is off the roster.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McJesus, Kane, and Toews deals did not hinder their team until Toews got sick and old.

For us it was the Seabrook, and letting Buff go because we had another power forward who ended up sick and this team needed that power Left Wing to compensate issues.

And Leddy. And many other mistakes that were affordable at the time.

Edmonton can and will win with McJ and Drai

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
McJesus, Kane, and Toews deals did not hinder their team until Toews got sick and old.

For us it was the Seabrook, and letting Buff go because we had another power forward who ended up sick and this team needed that power Left Wing to compensate issues.

And Leddy. And many other mistakes that were affordable at the time.

Edmonton can and will win with McJ and Drai
Will they? Their D and G is suspect. This is hockey, not basketball or football where having 1 or 2 superstars can guarantee a title. If that was the case Pittsburgh would have won much more with Crosby and Malkin and Ovi/Backstrom would have won more than 1 title with Washington. You need a complete team to win.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will they? Their D and G is suspect. This is hockey, not basketball or football where having 1 or 2 superstars can guarantee a title. If that was the case Pittsburgh would have won much more with Crosby and Malkin and Ovi/Backstrom would have won more than 1 title with Washington. You need a complete team to win.
I don’t know why they are too stupid to fix their goalie situation.

If they have any competence whatsoever they can reboot some new looks around Drai and McDavid.

Start by building a personal line for both of them except when they are different.

Scratch that, start by hiring Q. Q will come and save them.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Well after the first preseason game….

Korchinski IS a special talent. There’s a lot of pre-shitbag Cooke Erik Karlsson to his game. KD might have hit a home run with this kid and trading a stud away for him might not have been too bad….maybe…hopefully. IF, and it’s a big if, this kid is 100% all offense attacking the way EK was, then his offense will be a solid defense. I really hope they don’t give this kid a shot and let him dominate back in juniors one more year. Don’t rush him.

AA looked solid. But he reminds me of that one guy the Hawks had who had electric wheels but hands of granite, I forgot his name. Too many drugs in my youth…..Stalberg!!!

Defense spent too much time flat footed. A lot of over playing the puck with two wide open goals that really wernt Starlocks or whatever his name is, fault. Vlasic especially doesn’t belong in the nhl. Yes, we’re tanking but put this kid in the A. The talents there, just not ready.

The Kane effect has infested Domi like mold when they’re on the ice. I saw three times he tried to pull some Kane type shit and only once did you get a good scoring chance.

Toews looked really slow. Icon, yes, but he might be done.

We here knew this was gonna be a long season, but the morons on Twitter are acting like this was a Cup finals loss. There’s so much “derp derp they’re tanking for Bedard” drip that I’m almost happy this team is gonna be terrible.