Sun-Times Bears reporter calls out Luke Getsy for blaming circumstances that he helped create

Toast88

Liked Posts:
From the most recent Halas Intrigue podcast,

Chicago Sun-Times Bears beat reporter Jason Lieser being tough but fair, noting that people keep making excuses, but no matter how you slice it, this offense is failing right now. Obviously plenty of time to right the ship and develop something competent, but as it stands right now, yeah, it sucks. No need to sugar-coat it or make excuses:

"Luke Getsy needs to be presiding over an offense that's working, and it's not. There was a lot of defending of his gameplan on Thursday that I objected to. A lot of the defense of this has been, 'Hey, if we throw 11 passes and we win, then great.' Well, you didn't win. This was a terrible idea ......He's defending his gameplan by saying, 'Well, we didn't have a lot of plays. We had all these 3-and-outs. We had only 42 snaps on offense.' He's saying all this like it's something that happened to him, that it's not a direct result of how bad the offense that he's running is."

To give another viewpoint, ESPN Chicago's Tom Waddle defended Getsy on Thursday, saying that you can tell from the All-22 that there were open receivers and Fields just wasn't pulling the trigger, instead holding onto the ball forever. Getsy likely saw this in real time and adjusted the gameplan to take more of the burden off Fields and onto the running game, Waddle suspects - Waddle & Silvy - 9/22 3 PM: All-22 breakdown and Waddle's World

Just my 2 cents: There isn't anything inherently wrong with going super run-heavy, especially when Montgomery is gashing. The problem is the 42 offensive snaps, which are a direct result of the 4 straight 3-and-outs and an offense that looks out of sorts in several positions. I think this is what Lieser had an issue with mostly, not just that they didn't pass it more. He's saying that Getsy's acting like only having 42 offensive snaps was something completely out of his control, when in reality it's a direct result of what has been, at least through the first two games, a truly bad offense.

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what Lieser is targeting him for if the play calling split turned out to be pretty even, the all-22 showed some open wrs missed, and getsy also didn't put together the subpar offensive roster. Getsy answered the questions asked with facts. He didn't blame anybody for the issues that occurred either

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Getsy is new to this too. Between the new coaching staff, new system, young players, not a lot of talent: there's a lot of points of failure here.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm not sure what Lieser is targeting him for if the play calling split turned out to be pretty even, the all-22 showed some open wrs missed, and getsy also didn't put together the subpar offensive roster. Getsy answered the questions asked with facts. He didn't blame anybody for the issues that occurred either
Getsy, Fields, Kmet, and the Rookie DBs all had bad days against a good team. Not that the DTs or backers played all that well either. I'm most disappointed in Kmet because he has no excuses at this point. He's built to block and gets walked by LBs or just misses rubs when helping out. Jones is occasionally looking worse for it when he's actually where he belongs.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Translation-just throw the fucking ball Justin