Not getting an elite WR in the offseason is killing the Bears

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

How do you guys think the Bears should address their WR issue going forward? Do they make a trade? Do they look toward the waiver wire for help? Do they address the need through the draft?
Come up with some solutions.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Please tell us what picks were available to get these players:

Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Davante Adams
Marquis Brown

Now they could have traded for a merely good receiver in Amari Cooper but then been saddled with $24 million cap hits the next 2 years. Could have been worth it in his case but Cooper is not a game changer.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
I probably would have looked to sign one of the good veteran free agents who took one year deals but that time has passed. I don't think anyone comes here in season and makes an impact.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm sure that Elite WR would really help, being open and not getting the ball

then the idiot mentions 2 WRs that were acquired with 1st round picks, the Bears did not have any

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
DO NOT MAKE A TRADE!!! That's a Ryan Pace move by far just play the season out it'll sucks but it'll payoff in the future when you have plenty of cap space and actually have draft picks.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
I'm sure that Elite WR would really help, being open and not getting the ball

then the idiot mentions 2 WRs that were acquired with 1st round picks, the Bears did not have any
Yeah not sure if the receiver matters if fields is running into sacks or not throwing/seeing them open.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I still think they are going to try to draft their way out of this. If I had a guess:

When N'Keal Harry gets healthy, the Bears will evaluate him vs. St. Brown and re-sign whichever big WR performs better and appears to be a better bet going forward. Both are 25-26 so age isn't a huge factor either way.

I think they'll add a big play threat in free agency. DJ Chark comes to mind and I know there was some interest there this offseason. Maybe Mecole Hardman, if the price tag isn't too crazy.

After that, I think they'll look for a guy early in the draft. Smith-Njigba, Quentin Johnson, Kayshon Boutte, Jordan Addison are options in Rd 1, depending on where they are picking. I'm really liking Addison at this point.

Mooney
St. Brown/Harry
Jones Jr.
Chark/Hardman
Addison is the makings of a much better group than the Bears have right now.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I still think they are going to try to draft their way out of this. If I had a guess:

When N'Keal Harry gets healthy, the Bears will evaluate him vs. St. Brown and re-sign whichever big WR performs better and appears to be a better bet going forward. Both are 25-26 so age isn't a huge factor either way.

I think they'll add a big play threat in free agency. DJ Chark comes to mind and I know there was some interest there this offseason. Maybe Mecole Hardman, if the price tag isn't too crazy.

After that, I think they'll look for a guy early in the draft. Smith-Njigba, Quentin Johnson, Kayshon Boutte, Jordan Addison are options in Rd 1, depending on where they are picking. I'm really liking Addison at this point.

Mooney
St. Brown/Harry
Jones Jr.
Chark/Hardman
Addison is the makings of a much better group than the Bears have right now.
I'm not in love with this Wr class. It's definitely soft at the top. Addison does remind me alot of Calvin Ridley. I'd have no qualms with him at all.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
People continue to twist themselves into knots rather than accept the very common-sense premise that great receivers help young quarterbacks.

Josh Allen was helped big-time by having Stefon Diggs. Joe Burrow was helped big-time by having Jamarr Chase. Patrick Mahomes was helped big-time by having Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.

Sure, you could name QBs who didn’t have great receivers, and you could argue that a good QB will be good no matter what—But why make things harder than they have to be? Having a reliable receiver can only help.

Not sure an elite WR was available to the Bears this past offseason, so that’s a fair critique if someone wanted to argue against the premise. But it’s clear what were and weren’t priorities. For example, DTs at $13 mil a year = totally cool, while WRs for the same or less = salary cup busters, apparently,

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm not in love with this Wr class. It's definitely soft at the top. Addison does remind me alot of Calvin Ridley. I'd have no qualms with him at all.
Forgot about Ridley. I wonder what he'd cost in a trade at this point. Can't be very much. He will be 2 years removed from any football and 1 year away from free agency. He's also 29 too and has an 11M price tag, I could see a similar trade to like Robert Woods for Ridley, which I'd probably do if I'm good with his mental health situation.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
Just wait till Velus Jones Jr gets going, when that is nobody knows.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I heard a rumor that the Bears drafted a receiver—Can anyone confirm?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
People continue to twist themselves into knots rather than accept the very common-sense premise that great receivers help young quarterbacks.

Josh Allen was helped big-time by having Stefon Diggs. Joe Burrow was helped big-time by having Jamarr Chase. Patrick Mahomes was helped big-time by having Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce.

Sure, you could name QBs who didn’t have great receivers, and you could argue that a good QB will be good no matter what—But why make things harder than they have to be? Having a reliable receiver can only help.
Tyreke Hill and Stefon Diggs were merely "good" WRs before great QB play though.

Hill put up 75, 1183 before Mahomes. Has never been under 87 catches or 1239 yards since (except when suspended 4 games in 2019).
Diggs put up 102, 1021 in his best season before Allen. He has the most catches and yards in the league since Allen.
Chase was a rookie last year. He doesn't have any non-Burrow stats. But his numbers had an astronomical jump when Burrow went from a UDFA to the best QB in college football history.

I agree that having a reliable WR helps, but none of those guys made the QB. It's a combination. Bears gotta find their combo

mecha

Liked Posts:
which "elite" wide receiver wants to play for a not-Super-Bowl-contending/not-making-the-playoffs team that's in the middle of its 8th rebuild of the 21st century?

none. get the fuck over it.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
And which WR is that?
Ask Poles.

In any case, we’ve been through this: There was no WR available in free agency or the draft better than who the Bears currently have on the roster, or something.