Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Ask Poles.

In any case, we’ve been through this: There was no WR available in free agency or the draft better than who the Bears currently have on the roster, or something.
Exactly. Unless you trade for Hill or AJ Brown and both would have cost a 1st at the very least on top of paying them big money. I expect at least 1-2 WR next draft

and im pretty sure neither would have been ecstatic about coming here

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
We didn't have the draft capital to draft for Adams, Hill or AJ Brown. No complaints there. I do think we should've addressed WR earlier in the draft as well as getting a higher-tier free agent WR. You win in today's league with offensive play.

I would've went after a WR before our 3rd pick. I would've liked to go after a WR in free agency with more production than Pringle/St. Brown like JuJu or DJ Chark. Glad we didn't overpay for Kirk. That contract is ludicrous.

I don't think an improved WR core this year takes this team from a top 5 pick to a wildcard team, but I don't think we'll be able to even properly evaluate Fields with scraps he's playing with at WR. That's my main qualm with our WR core.

Sevendaymelee

Liked Posts:
No, I would say not having an elite ownership is killing the Bears. After that, it would be getting an elite QB and a great offensive line. Then maybe we could start talking about wide receivers.

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
We got a couple good players on defense who got torched by Rodgers say what you want I'd have much rather had a rookie receiver to develop. Hopefully with our cap space we keep rebuilding this team. Right now we just don't have many skilled offensive players honestly.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Please tell us what picks were available to get these players:

Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Davante Adams
Marquis Brown

Now they could have traded for a merely good receiver in Amari Cooper but then been saddled with $24 million cap hits the next 2 years. Could have been worth it in his case but Cooper is not a game changer.

That $24m would be better spent towards changing games than $22m on Smith.

Ryan Poles has something to say on the subject:

I guess things changed in a month. We also needed beef block at this time. We went with 3 years suck instead.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Poles isn’t trading away high picks this early in his reign.

I was never a fan of trading away a bunch of picks for someone else’s player.

It feels like admitting your own failure as a talent evaluator and then having to pay a premium to another team bc they’re good at it.

Unless. It’s like the final piece to the puzzle, not a big fan of it!

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
Poles isn’t trading away high picks this early in his reign.

I was never a fan of trading away a bunch of picks for someone else’s player.

It feels like admitting your own failure as a talent evaluator and then having to pay a premium to another team bc they’re good at it.

Unless. It’s like the final piece to the puzzle, not a big fan of it!
I agree keep building through the draft take a chance a first round WR or LT, we don't have the greatest track record in the first but still. Building through the draft is what we haven't been able to do in a long time, if poles can't hit on draft picks within 3 years bring in another GM, im just sick of losing and especially to the packers.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers

Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Davante Adams
Marquis Brown

Now they could have traded for a merely good receiver in Amari Cooper but then been saddled with $24 million cap hits the next 2 years. Could have been worth it in his case but Cooper is not a game changer.
All of the picks. Except Adams, no way he was coming here, nor were the Packers trading him here. But honestly, Bears should offer a low pick for Golladay, or even Toney.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
All of the picks. Except Adams, no way he was coming here, nor were the Packers trading him here. But honestly, Bears should offer a low pick for Golladay, or even Toney.

Toney barely plays now. He should definitely throw an offer to the Giants. They clearly don’t want him in NY

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Who could they have had for the kind of money we had available to spend? No one!

Yes, an elite wr would help but facing zone all the time the guys we have are open on virtually every play- at least one or two on every play this week was open and Fields didn’t throw to them.

Yes it would be nice to have a guy that you can trust and just throw to regardless of really looking at the coverage bc he’s that good but to make it the reason why Fields isn’t playing well just isn’t true.

The cap has gone back up giving teams the money to sign important players- almost no one would have predicted that the list of elite wr’s receiving new deals and LT’s would have all signed.

That’s not the usual. I didn’t see that happening but I did ask the question here what if it does after the first couple signed.

I’m sure Poles wasn’t the only one expecting a couple of them to be available next year.

There is an element of luck involved with Football too. Next years draft doesn’t look as loaded on the wr front and couple that with no one being available to sign as a free agent, we have to draft one early and hit that pick.

Having said that, if you look at the first three games all 22, it’s not the wr’s fault- every play last week, Fields had someone open and more often than not a couple or more were open including some deep shots.

I think he’s so fascinated with getting through progressions that he’s not pulling the trigger. If one’s open, take it!

He looks to be looking for the best open receiver that’ll get him the most yards or td possibility but that’s just not how it works. There’s just not enough time.

I bet if we look at Rodgers all 22 on almost all of his pass plays there was either someone more open or open for a bigger play.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm not in love with this Wr class. It's definitely soft at the top. Addison does remind me alot of Calvin Ridley. I'd have no qualms with him at all.
I'm thinking the same thing. Going into the college season all eyes were on J.S.Njigba and K.Boutte but both scare me as top 5 picks in the draft with neither producing too much so far in this short college season. If you're picking a WR in the top 5 then he has to be a true #1 WR in the NFL.

Then you have J.Addison who is producing like a #1 WR but i need to see him do it consistently to trust that what we saw at, i think it was Pitt, to know if he is the real deal after transferring to USC.

Then my next group includes Quentin Johnston (TCU) who hasn't done much yet and is more of a possession type WR with his size, 6'4 and not great speed 6.53 40. Josh Downs (North Carolina) who's only 5'10 but ran a 4.34 40 so probably more of a slot.

I really don't know much about any other WR but we need those top guys to really show out the rest of this college season for me to even think about using our top 5 pick on one. I don't give a damn that Fields played with J.S Njigba at Ohio St.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I heard a rumor that the Bears drafted a receiver—Can anyone confirm?
george-pickens-ab.gif

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Exactly. Unless you trade for Hill or AJ Brown and both would have cost a 1st at the very least on top of paying them big money. I expect at least 1-2 WR next draft

and im pretty sure neither would have been ecstatic about coming here

I think he was being sarcastic. But Poles didn’t have the draft capital to make a trade and had little cap to sign any WR of note. I’m not even sure he had cap room to trade for Cooper.

Why didn’t Poles do more?
1. Lack of draft capital
2. Lack of cap space
3. Lack of interest from vet players who wanted to compete, Landry

He could have drafted an earlier receiver but that wouldn’t change how putrid this offense is. (Although I did prefer an earlier receiver than Velus)

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
We didn't have the draft capital to draft for Adams, Hill or AJ Brown. No complaints there. I do think we should've addressed WR earlier in the draft as well as getting a higher-tier free agent WR. You win in today's league with offensive play.

I would've went after a WR before our 3rd pick. I would've liked to go after a WR in free agency with more production than Pringle/St. Brown like JuJu or DJ Chark. Glad we didn't overpay for Kirk. That contract is ludicrous.

I don't think an improved WR core this year takes this team from a top 5 pick to a wildcard team, but I don't think we'll be able to even properly evaluate Fields with scraps he's playing with at WR. That's my main qualm with our WR core.
Kirk is not only proving it wasn't a overpay but maybe even a underpay. I was one of the few that thought it was a overpay at the time but didn't think it was by much but now i think it's a underpay.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

Tyreek Hill
AJ Brown
Davante Adams
Marquis Brown

Back to back 100 yard games with a non elite QB. I’d take it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think he was being sarcastic. But Poles didn’t have the draft capital to make a trade and had little cap to sign any WR of note. I’m not even sure he had cap room to trade for Cooper.

Why didn’t Poles do more?
1. Lack of draft capital
2. Lack of cap space
3. Lack of interest from vet players who wanted to compete, Landry

He could have drafted an earlier receiver but that wouldn’t change how putrid this offense is. (Although I did prefer an earlier receiver than Velus)

He did. It’s minimal this year. (4.9 hit)

It’s hindsight but I’d rather he have traded the 3rd that went to drafting Velus. That was more than what the Cowboys got so it should have worked.

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Either draft Cedric Tillman from Tennessee or trade for an established receiver. Impactful receivers aren't hitting the market. Teams are choosing to pay the QB and trade the #1 receiver before they hit free agency. Gotta pony up. We have the cap space. But likely not going to find one in the free agent market.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Landing Cooper would surely make the Browns a more compelling destination for Watson, who would have to waive a no-trade clause to come to Cleveland.

Per ESPN. Hmmm. Thoughts?
I don’t know what you’re getting at here.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I don’t know what you’re getting at here.

Never mind. Cooper didn’t have a no trade clause. Watson did.

I wonder if Poles did inquire. The next 2 years the cap is high but it’s not like this roster has a lot of big cap hits coming with that lack of talent and quite possibly drafting another QB high if Fields doesn’t start throwing the ball better