dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I'm keeping an eye on Marvin Harrison Jr (Ohio St). The son of one of the greatest to ever do it.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he had the cap for Ogunjobi, he had the cap for MVS, Chark, JuJu. He also could have gotten Pickens or Sky Moore if he chose. It just wasn't actually a priority. None are really impactful through two games, but it's still early and it's about ensuring a baseline of talent that the bears currently don't have.

I tend to believe that through two games, WR isn't the issue, but it will be a limiting factor if they start to figure things out, and that's bad news that could have been seen a mile away. This isn't a competitive year. I love watching Brisker, but as poles said, if you want to help a QB develop, you make damn sure he's got WRs. Then he didn't.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All of the picks. Except Adams, no way he was coming here, nor were the Packers trading him here. But honestly, Bears should offer a low pick for Golladay, or even Toney.
Golladay is a low separation receiver that excelled in contested catches. Not sure Fields would even throw him the ball, he has really fallen off a cliff after Stafford.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

How do you guys think the Bears should address their WR issue going forward? Do they make a trade? Do they look toward the waiver wire for help? Do they address the need through the draft?
Come up with some solutions.
This season was never going anywhere. Would we benefit from a true WR1? Of course. It would help Mooney be an elite WR2 as well, but it would have been a waste of money to get one now. I think we draft one in the first. There are 3-4 elite WRs that we might be able to get. When we fill in a few more holes (and our OL is looking better already) we'll acquire an elite WR1. We probably go WR 1st round OL 2nd next year IMO. If there is a FA acquisition that makes sense, I'd be okay with them doing that as well. We won't get DK but a WR room of DK, Rookie 1st (Jaxon Smith-Njigba), and Mooney as our WR2/3? Hot damn.

Payton_34

Seattle Bears Fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Hilarious to see/hear Bears fans whining about this season, as if they don't realize what this season is about.
If the Bears aren't a playoff team there's no point in spending to bring in a "big name" guy at any position.
You've gotta realize how Pole is positioning the team to make a HUGE jump next season with all the cap space and draft capital, right?

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Golladay is a low separation receiver that excelled in contested catches. Not sure Fields would even throw him the ball, he has really fallen off a cliff after Stafford.
I feel the same, considering that Robinson and Fields didn't seem to mesh well, but he's a talent that might be had for a late round pick and will at least open things up for Mooney. I'm reading he wants out and the Giants best bet to trade him would also be to eat some of that guaranteed money.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel the same, considering that Robinson and Fields didn't seem to mesh well, but he's a talent that might be had for a late round pick and will at least open things up for Mooney. I'm reading he wants out and the Giants best bet to trade him would also be to eat some of that guaranteed money.

There in lies the key, certainly not worth the money he is getting now.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
Hilarious to see/hear Bears fans whining about this season, as if they don't realize what this season is about.
If the Bears aren't a playoff team there's no point in spending to bring in a "big name" guy at any position.
You've gotta realize how Pole is positioning the team to make a HUGE jump next season with all the cap space and draft capital, right?
Its a season about positioning yourself to be as good as possible going forward. How do you do that with a young QB? By developing him. How do you help with a young QBs development? Give him weapons.

If Fields isn't the guy, then this existing strategy is absolutely perfect. I doubt that decision was made already, however.

Reactions: Myk

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I’m going to laugh if Poles only spends half that 100 million. I wonder if he talked George into this being a 3+ year job that has to be fixed through the draft mostly.

Also think its funny fans are excited about all this draft capital. They don’t have some large amount of capital. They just have a normal slate of picks but because we’re so used to Pace dumping them it SEEMS like a lot.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I’m going to laugh if Poles only spends half that 100 million. I wonder if he talked George into this being a 3+ year job that has to be fixed through the draft mostly.

Also think its funny fans are excited about all this draft capital. They don’t have some large amount of capital. They just have a normal slate of picks but because we’re so used to Pace dumping them it SEEMS like a lot.
He has to spend the money. Teams are required to spend 90% of the cap.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Kirk is not only proving it wasn't a overpay but maybe even a underpay. I was one of the few that thought it was a overpay at the time but didn't think it was by much but now i think it's a underpay.
It’s also only been 2 games. If he continues this for 15 more games then we can revisit the overpay/underpay convo

Enasic

Liked Posts:
If he had the cap for Ogunjobi, he had the cap for MVS, Chark, JuJu. He also could have gotten Pickens or Sky Moore if he chose. It just wasn't actually a priority. None are really impactful through two games, but it's still early and it's about ensuring a baseline of talent that the bears currently don't have.

I tend to believe that through two games, WR isn't the issue, but it will be a limiting factor if they start to figure things out, and that's bad news that could have been seen a mile away. This isn't a competitive year. I love watching Brisker, but as poles said, if you want to help a QB develop, you make damn sure he's got WRs. Then he didn't.
I don’t think DJ Chark or JuJu are the type of WRs Poles was referring to when he said you need a guy who can bail your young QB out when he needs it. Neither are even better than Mooney. That is what this team is missing….someone better than Mooney so Mooney would be the #2. Poles wasn’t going to reach on 3rd tier WRs and I’m glad he didn’t.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
He will load up on allot of 1 year deals this fa absolutely sucks. We joke around about the 7 year rebuild but that’s how things are playing out

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I don’t think this is correct. The Browns are under 90% this year. I think NFL teams as a league whole have a number to hit.

(I’m admittedly not sure though)

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

How do you guys think the Bears should address their WR issue going forward? Do they make a trade? Do they look toward the waiver wire for help? Do they address the need through the draft?
Come up with some solutions.

If they can move Roquan or Quinn and get a serious WR threat, I'd be all for that. Anything to show the young QB1 that you're in his corner.
I'm beginning to think that Poles is not in his corner.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The salary floor is over a four year period. I think the current "term" runs through the 2024 season but that could be incorrect.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
He will load up on allot of 1 year deals this fa absolutely sucks. We joke around about the 7 year rebuild but that’s how things are playing out

Loading up on 1 yr deals would actually be the smart play because the FA class isn’t good as you alluded to. That doesn’t mean a 7 year rebuild though. If you sign the right guys and draft well….this is all a moot point though if Fields isn’t the guy. If Fields still struggles then the rebuild will take however long it takes to find a QB who can actually drop back and play the QB position. Poles would likely take a swing at finding his guy after next season.

gilder121

Donator
Liked Posts:
I don’t think DJ Chark or JuJu are the type of WRs Poles was referring to when he said you need a guy who can bail your young QB out when he needs it. Neither are even better than Mooney. That is what this team is missing….someone better than Mooney so Mooney would be the #2. Poles wasn’t going to reach on 3rd tier WRs and I’m glad he didn’t.
I hear you, but it's unlikely that guy will be available in FA next year, and the high draft picks that often lead to #1 WRs are far from guaranteed, and even if they hit, they are not guaranteed to be that guy in any specific timeframe. Additionally, because that guy is unlikely to be found after early round 2, you are leaving a draft need, which is generally a bad idea.

Between now and whenever the heck that situation presents itself that the guy is available and producing, you can't just leave Fields out to dry. Pettis and ESB aren't going to be net positives for developing a QB. The guys I mentioned? Much more likely.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I hear you, but it's unlikely that guy will be available in FA next year, and the high draft picks that often lead to #1 WRs are far from guaranteed, and even if they hit, they are not guaranteed to be that guy in any specific timeframe. Additionally, because that guy is unlikely to be found after early round 2, you are leaving a draft need, which is generally a bad idea.

Between now and whenever the heck that situation presents itself that the guy is available and producing, you can't just leave Fields out to dry. Pettis and ESB aren't going to be net positives for developing a QB. The guys I mentioned? Much more likely.

I don’t know man…ESB looked plenty good when he burned his man and could have scored a TD if Fields anticipated it and let it rip. Would it have made any difference if it were Chark?

Chark and JuJu are decent, but they would not make much difference at all in Fields play this year. They’re not reall game changers and they wouldn’t help Fields with his biggest issues - Pocket presence, pre-snap reads, throwing with anticipation, making quick decisions and reading defenses in game speed.