I still believe in Fields

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
I'm concerned. I'm a bit more concerned about how Fields is being handled, than Fields himself. I'm still waiting for the game where we run some easy, quick passes to get him confidence early on.
Exactly what I was saying all day. It's almost Nagy level criminal at this point not to call the offense around getting Fields easy completions and wins and in rhythm.
Not doing so is how your ruin a young quarterback.

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
I still believe in Fields long term but I don't think the coaching staff does. They're trying to maximize wins, not trying to maximize the development of their QB by potentially losing winnable games if he make mistakes. They're basically using him like a veteran, journeyman QB who they believe is a liability with the run heavy focus.

Nailed it. Why the search for a gm and coach was so important. Big failure running down the airport with some defensive minds, with the best QB prospect the Bears have had in any recent memory on the roster

TL1961

Liked Posts:
100% he looked better, and I'm glad Mitch is gone because he wasnt good enough. Mitch had a 95QBR in year 2 with 24TD and 12INT

Fields is completing 50% of his passes, LESS then 100 yards per game and is sitting at a 49 QBR. I was willing to give him this year but at some point you need to start evaluating the rest of the offensive talent. A few more games like this and I say cut your losses and bench him
OK. Hold on. When you say that you were "willing to give him this year" and then say ""need to start evaluating the rest of the offensive talent", do you mean evaluate other QBs? Or evaluate the RBs, which they are clearly doing.

You were willing to give him this year, but after three weeks you're done? With three WRs out today? Not that they're stars. Anything but. But they're thought to be better than whoever backs them up.

Nobody is arguing N'Keal Harry will save the day, or that Velus Jones is the WR we have all been waiting for. Or that Pringle is an All Pro. So don't misunderstand me. But isn't it fair to expect more with our WRs than without them?

It's a rebuild year with limited offensive talent around him. Everyone here bitched about that this offseason. Suddenly after three weeks it's time to pull the plug?

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
I still believe in Fields long term but I don't think the coaching staff does. They're trying to maximize wins, not trying to maximize the development of their QB by potentially losing winnable games if he make mistakes. They're basically using him like a veteran, journeyman QB who they believe is a liability with the run heavy focus.
I think history says that a successful running game is a pretty positive asset for a young QB.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
I'm not the passing game co-coordinator. I don't prepare the offensive game plan. I don't go over film of Smith's D with JF, I don't know the "hot routes: & "check with me's" Getsy uses.

JF said in a recent interview, he just executes the plays that are called. Period. You might wanna fire this info off to Gesty Gesty, who's inexperienced..... is the guy to answer these questions.

He doesn't execute them though.

But we don't know what type of offense Getsy is running. It's not a WCO where ya get the ball out quick. He's running some kinda weird shotgun offense that's horrible for a OL that can't pass protect. So the execution is unknown.
The routes are slow developing and hazardous to the OL and the young Qb.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm not the passing game co-coordinator. I don't prepare the offensive game plan. I don't go over film of Smith's D with JF, I don't know the "hot routes: & "check with me's" Getsy uses.

JF said in a recent interview, he just executes the plays that are called. Period. You might wanna fire this info off to Gesty Gesty, who's inexperienced..... is the guy to anwer these questions.

So I started rewatching the offensive snaps to see if Justin ever pulls the trigger on the hot read.
Make no mistake, there is always one option....

But I got derailed on another issue while watching.

Every passing down....literally every single one of them in the first half, Justin takes his eyes of the defense at the snap.

I don't know why they are calling so many shotgun plays, but that is a huge majority of all first half snaps.

Beyond that, even when he operates under center, he always turns to fake a handoff on throws.

That is a recipe for disaster.

I would kind of like to see some plain old drop backs called where he can watch the defense develop.

I think it is a disservice to take a young players eyes off the defense by design on 100 percent of pass plays.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
I just don't see all this "missing guys running free" stuff that you and some others do. I see some bad decisions that he makes but I also see some "touch" that he is learning to put of the ball, and some nice throws that does make. The kid is "learning". And he is learning with a bad bunch of very small receivers and no dependable go to guy including the tight end group
You could take your quote here and apply it to any Bears QB since the Bears won the Superbowl

Payton!34

Liked Posts:

This for sure!!!

Maximizing wins right now is what they’re doing and the wrong thing in my opinion.

Who cares if they can run for 250 yards a game? Proof that running the ball is an archaic strategy to have!

You can be the best running team in the league and still finish with the worst offense in the league or a losing record.

Looking at recent stats- passing yards is very closely related to wins and the bets offenses in the league last year weren’t good running teams or they just didn’t run very often and points were almost exactly correlated to passing yards.

Most of the good running teams outside of like San Francisco were towards the bottom of the league.

In a toss away year id rather be practicing a modern offense and throw the ball 50 times and not vice versa.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I was just saying that's how good that defense was, but yeah both those injuries hurt for a whole hell of a lot of reasons.
We also had a soMehwat decent oline those 2 years. That may have been the last time

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
But we don't know what type of offense Getsy is running. It's not a WCO where ya get the ball out quick. He's running some kinda weird shotgun offense that's horrible for a OL that can't pass protect. So the execution is unknown.
The routes are slow developing and hazardous to the OL and the young Qb.

No, the execution of the plays he leaves on the table are not unknown.

Yes, we can pontificate on how Fields would perform in a variety of different schemes just as many Bears fans did with Cutler for too many years. The fact is we have to evaluate on what is being called and what Fields leaves on tape. Right now - it looks pretty bad. The offense Getsy is running achieved 281 yards rushing today. I don't even want to know how bad our passing game would look if we weren't able to run the ball effectively.

Improvement needs to be made - within the coaching staff/playcalling and the players - but it is a two way street between QB and playcaller and Fields has done nobody any favors up to this point. He has to play better - he knows that and I think he has the mental makeup to make it happen but his vision, accuracy, and anticipation needs to improve immensely moving forward.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Right (y)......"not trying to maximize the development of their QB".......which is what they were hired to do. Which is why Nagy was fired ( he couldn't develop Mitch).

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Can we also not call so many plays where Fields is turning his back to the defense?

It takes away his skill of scrambling when he’s blindsided and can’t make a move and it also delays his eyes on his receivers.

Beast15

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm concerned. I'm a bit more concerned about how Fields is being handled, than Fields himself. I'm still waiting for the game where we run some easy, quick passes to get him confidence early on.
I mean, only seems logical

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
I think history says that a successful running game is a pretty positive asset for a young QB.
It definitely is.

Running it almost 70% of the time might get you a few more wins in the short term but that doesn't matter if you don't know what you do or don't have at QB and the offensive line. So far, he's thrown the ball 17 times, 11 times, and 17 times in 3 games. Joe Flacco threw more passes in one game than Fields has all season. If this team had the talent of a potential super bowl contender, then I wouldn't care what it took to win. But this is a season where they should be bottoming out, developing young players and getting a high draft pick. Fields and the offensive line need as many pass reps in game as they can and right now, they're exceling at run blocking but the passing game is an all around disaster from the QB to the offensive line to the wide receivers.

Payton!34

Liked Posts:
Both interceptions today were bad decisions and bad throws to boot.

I’m all for throwing the ball deep a few times a game but down the middle of the field with three defenders isn’t the right way.

Good thing it was third down and like a punt.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Nailed it. Why the search for a gm and coach was so important. Big failure running down the airport with some defensive minds, with the best QB prospect the Bears have had in any recent memory on the roster

The "must have an offensive minded HC" argument is overblown. The Raiders hired an offensive minded HC many wanted for the Bears, and added him to a playoff team that has a QB many rate quite highly. They're 0-3.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
OK. Hold on. When you say that you were "willing to give him this year" and then say ""need to start evaluating the rest of the offensive talent", do you mean evaluate other QBs? Or evaluate the RBs, which they are clearly doing.

You were willing to give him this year, but after three weeks you're done? With three WRs out today? Not that they're stars. Anything but. But they're thought to be better than whoever backs them up.

Nobody is arguing N'Keal Harry will save the day, or that Velus Jones is the WR we have all been waiting for. Or that Pringle is an All Pro. So don't misunderstand me. But isn't it fair to expect more with our WRs than without them?

It's a rebuild year with limited offensive talent around him. Everyone here bitched about that this offseason. Suddenly after three weeks it's time to pull the plug?
Yes I was willing to give him this year because I was expecting better, I was expecting actual real NFL QB play mixed in with some stupid young mistakes that he could learn from and hopefully improve, there is only so many games of historically bad play that any team should put up with, You cant send the message to the rest of the young players that bad play does not have consequences.

And as far as evaluating the rest of the offense, I'm talking the WR, and TE.. Look at Mooney, if this was his first year we all would be calling him a bust with only having 20 yards after 3 games, last year he had over 1000! We need to find out what we have in some of the other young WRs and that takes a QB that is capable of completing more then 50% of his passes and more then 100 yards per game.. Honestly I can see him getting benched next game if this continues

Last edited: