I still believe in Fields

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
So I started rewatching the offensive snaps to see if Justin ever pulls the trigger on the hot read.
Make no mistake, there is always one option....

But I got derailed on another issue while watching.

Every passing down....literally every single one of them in the first half, Justin takes his eyes of the defense at the snap.

I don't know why they are calling so many shotgun plays, but that is a huge majority of all first half snaps.

Beyond that, even when he operates under center, he always turns to fake a handoff on throws.

That is a recipe for disaster.

I would kind of like to see some plain old drop backs called where he can watch the defense develop.

I think it is a disservice to take a young players eyes off the defense by design on 100 percent of pass plays.

And here's our tale away ....."I would kind of like to see some plain old drop backs called where he can watch the defense develop." Ya need consistent pass pro to do that. Ya can't can't have a collapsing pocket.

Heck Mills had much better pass pro than JF.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
It definitely is.

Running it almost 70% of the time might get you a few more wins in the short term but that doesn't matter if you don't know what you do or don't have at QB and the offensive line. So far, he's thrown the ball 17 times, 11 times, and 17 times in 3 games. Joe Flacco threw more passes in one game than Fields has all season. If this team had the talent of a potential super bowl contender, then I wouldn't care what it took to win. But this is a season where they should be bottoming out, developing young players and getting a high draft pick. Fields and the offensive line need as many pass reps in game as they can and right now, they're exceling at run blocking but the passing game is an all around disaster from the QB to the offensive line to the wide receivers.
It's also Week 3. With 3 WRs out.

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
It definitely is.

Running it almost 70% of the time might get you a few more wins in the short term but that doesn't matter if you don't know what you do or don't have at QB and the offensive line. So far, he's thrown the ball 17 times, 11 times, and 17 times in 3 games. Joe Flacco threw more passes in one game than Fields has all season. If this team had the talent of a potential super bowl contender, then I wouldn't care what it took to win. But this is a season where they should be bottoming out, developing young players and getting a high draft pick. Fields and the offensive line need as many pass reps in game as they can and right now, they're exceling at run blocking but the passing game is an all around disaster from the QB to the offensive line to the wide receivers.

100 percent this. It doesn't really matter who is in at qb if there are defenders in the backfield within 2 seconds on every drop back and no one is getting open.

Justin Fields is looking bad for some of the same reasons that Hurts and Tua looked bad in year 2. Their respective organizations added pieces around them and now they look elite in year 3. It's not a coincidence, talent matters.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Yes I was willing to give him this year because I was expecting better, I was expecting actual real NFL QB play mixed in with some stupid young mistakes that he could learn from and hopefully improve, there is only so many games of historically bad play that any team should put up with, You cant send the message to the rest of the young players that bad play does not have consequences.

And as far as evaluating the rest of the offense, I'm talking the WR, and TE.. Look at Mooney, if this was his first year we all would be calling him a bust with only having 20 yards after 3 game last year he had over 1000! We need to find out what we have in some of the other young WRs and that takes a QB that is capable of completing more then 50% of his passes and more then 100 yards per game.. Honestly I can see him getting benched next game if this continues
You want them to send the message that Fields should be benched for a QB that clearly has no future? What message would that send?

The consequence is not benching a guy in Week 3! That's essentially sending out your young QB in a new system and telling him he has zero leeway and zero time to learn and grow.

The consequence is, after 17 weeks, you may determine you need to look elsewhere. But they're clearly in a situation where they must give him 17 games this year. Anything else is idiotic.

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
The "must have an offensive minded HC" argument is overblown. The Raiders hired an offensive minded HC many wanted for the Bears, and added him to a playoff team that has a QB many rate quite highly. They're 0-3.

Then get a defensive coach that isn’t going to let the clock run off with 45 seconds and 3 timeouts from your 30

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm sorry but as a Bear's fan I am perfectly happy with this team being 2-1 and running the ball as well as they have. Especially because you can see the future as being very good with a great mobile quarterback who can run play action as he develops into an NFL quarterback. Its not like this guy is dumb or unable to throw the ball. He just has to get in synch with his oline and receivers.

Frankly, I think that it is the defense who I am more concerned with. Against a good run blocking team, the D linemen and LBs miss wrapping up tackles.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Then get a defensive coach that isn’t going to let the clock run off with 45 seconds and 3 timeouts from your 30
I agree with that. Especially after getting a good positive yardage on first down and not calling time out.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
this

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
It definitely is.

I am not sure if I follow the logic in where 1) Our pass blocking is so awful and we have no offensive weapons so therefore in order to help our young QB develop we should 2) call substantially more pass plays. I don't think that would bring about favorable results in keeping a developing young quarterback upright and on the field in order to evaluate. That suggestion would most likely do the opposite in probably getting Fields hurt sooner than later.

Improvements need to be made from playcalling to the play on the field - I think we could all agree on that. I certainly am not going to write Fields off at this point.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I think most fans have major concerns and a lot of dejavu that we have seen this play out before with other QB busts. The only positives I have seen this year is that Fields legs still require defensive scheming to stop them and he still racks up yards despite it. He has also improved his fumbling tendencies as his ball security had been improved. His accuracy and defensive reading is still poor or declining and he seems to be struggling under the pressure to perform. I think he is getting closer to busting than booming at this point and really hope he still goes against the ods abd proves me wrong but it's very unlikely.

Heidenlarm

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It definitely is.

Fields has also run 11, 8, and 8 times. I'd be curious to know how many of those were designed runs v plays breaking down.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
You want them to send the message that Fields should be benched for a QB that clearly has no future? What message would that send?

The consequence is not benching a guy in Week 3! That's essentially sending out your young QB in a new system and telling him he has zero leeway and zero time to learn and grow.

The consequence is, after 17 weeks, you may determine you need to look elsewhere. But they're clearly in a situation where they must give him 17 games this year. Anything else is idiotic.

Yes, every player needs to produce or they will get replaced, thats the message that should be sent to everyone. Do your job or someone else will.

Yes Trevor Siemian is a back up QB that has no future as a starter.. but if JF cant even come close to playing at the level of the guy who has no future then we are wasting our time here with him. Bench him and see how the offense plays under a marginal QB, you can always go back to him after a few games and see if sitting a few games has helped him out.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I'm concerned. I'm a bit more concerned about how Fields is being handled, than Fields himself. I'm still waiting for the game where we run some easy, quick passes to get him confidence early on.
I mean he completes his first pass. Had his second batted down which was a short one. Had a huge run on the first drive. How much fucking confidence does he need? I honestly have no idea how much spoon feeding you guys think he needs? He’s just making horrific decisions. Getsy can’t do it for him.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Just to clarify my opinion a bit...

This is admittedly 100% on belief, and not based on anything I've seen so far. We are 3 games into the second season with a new staff and questionable talent across the board.

Fields has loads of physical talent, and seems to also have the requisite work ethic and mentality. I came into this season with very low expectations. I'd like to see how things are looking towards the end of the season before throwing out any indictments about Fields' long term potential.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
But we don't know what type of offense Getsy is running. It's not a WCO where ya get the ball out quick. He's running some kinda weird shotgun offense that's horrible for a OL that can't pass protect. So the execution is unknown.
The routes are slow developing and hazardous to the OL and the young Qb.
No, the execution of the plays he leaves on the table are not unknown.

Yes, we can pontificate on how Fields would perform in a variety of different schemes just as many Bears fans did with Cutler for too many years. The fact is we have to evaluate on what is being called and what Fields leaves on tape. Right now - it looks pretty bad. The offense Getsy is running achieved 281 yards rushing today. I don't even want to know how bad our passing game would look if we weren't able to run the ball effectively.

Improvement needs to be made - within the coaching staff/playcalling and the players - but it is a two way street between QB and playcaller and Fields has done nobody any favors up to this point. He has to play better - he knows that and I think he has the mental makeup to make it happen but his vision, accuracy, and anticipation needs to improve immensely moving forward.

Agreed....the whole coaching staff and players..... "needs to improve immensely moving forward."
Everyone is accountable. Side note: it was gutless to not use those time outs at the end of the half and try to get into scoring range. I mean just do it and let the chips fall where they may.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
This is the exact scenario I worried about when Poles spent the entire off-season ignoring the offensive side of the ball. You put a young quarterback, who already struggled in year 1, in an impossible situation in year 2 by making him play with what looks to be maybe the least talented collection of offensive players in the league.

The Bears have created the worst possible situation for themselves. They've made it next to impossible for Fields to excel, but by doing so, they've also purposefully made it more difficult for themselves to properly evaluate him. I wish they would have taken a more aggressive stance on bolstering their offense with great players like Miami did, because at least then you give Fields no excuse if he fails. If Tua is bad, you can at least know with a high degree of certainty, that it's because the quarterback sucks.

They had an opportunity to give away a meaningless low round draft pick for Amari Cooper, and they passed. He just put up back to back 100 yard receiving games with Jacoby freaking Brissett playing quarterback. You think he wouldn't have helped here?

Right now, we think Fields sucks, but because the talent is so bad, we can't know for sure how much of it is really on Fields, and how much of his failures are about what he has around him.

Last edited:

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
Agreed....the whole coaching staff and players..... "needs to improve immensely moving forward."
Everyone is accountable. Side note: it was gutless to not use those time outs at the end of the half and try to get into scoring range. I mean just do it and let the chips fall where they may.

I agree about the timeouts before half - that was ridiculous.